Exercising on an empty stomach

Options

Replies

• SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't take youe car on a trip if your gas tank is empty, would you? Your body is the same way! You will work out faster and longer if your body has nourishment first. I try to do my hula hoop after every meal. If I try before I eat I can't go as long!:happy:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It depends on how hard the workout is. A really intense cardio session is stress on the body. The digestive system will shut down and your body will deal with the stress.

Plus if you have an empty stomach or haven't eaten in a while then you can be sure your body will be pulling what it needs from you and not what you just ate.

Wait about an hour or so then have something to eat.

But you will get different opinions depending on who you ask. So see what works for you. I really don't understand some of these comments. It's like a long, long list of rules on how and when to eat. Your body doesn't care what time it is when you eat. It doesn't matter that you eat carbs in the morning or at night (you get your highest blood sugar spike with AM carbs, though).

My biggest meal is at night. Sometimes it's HUGE. It doesn't affect the scale unless there is sugar or refined carbs involved (they make the body retain water)
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally - I'd say whatever you are comfortable with.
    I don't feel good if I work out after eating. So I will generally work out in the morning before I eat breakfast (I have always eaten late breakfasts - around 9 or 10 am) or late at night after my kids are in bed asleep.
    It's what works for me, what I'm comfortable with.
    Good luck!!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Like everything, it all depends on what works for you. I get up at 4:30-5am to exercise. Don't have time to eat and/or wait, so I do it on an empty stomach and eat afterwards.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    What I've heard is that when you exercise on an empty stomach, it forces your body to burn up fat that is already stored to provide you with energy. Whereas, if you eat before working out, your body will use whatever you consumed to provide you with energy. And if you eat before you workout, I think you're suppose to wait about 2 hours after eating before working out. That's as much as I know. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard the same thing. I started working out first thing in the AM, before I eat, and it feels like I'm burning more throughout the day. However, that doesn't work when I am truly starving hungry first thing in the morning.

The theory was that by running in a fasted state you would burn more fat than glycogen (the idea being that your glycogen stores were reduced) but the fact is that it takes about 24hrs of fasting to deplete the glycogen stored in your liver.

Having said that, my favourite time of day to go for a run is 5:00AM, and I usually run my easy runs on an empty stomach. For my longer runs I'll eat and wait a couple of hours otherwise I'll bonk halfway through.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this seems to be one of those things that varies from person to person. You might need to play with it to figure out what works for you. I know I need to have something in my stomach awhile before going or I just feel sick. and if I eat a whole meal then I feel sick. Another point is your body seems to adjust. I go to the gym an hour after a snack, and prior to eating lunch, and in the beginning I was sooo hungry and nauseaus, but now my body has adjusted and it's all good :)
  • virgogirl916
    virgogirl916 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. :)
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works best for you, some people just can't do it. The protocol I follow suggests that you get some protein in your body pre workout but no or very little carbs. Then you load up on your carbs after working out.

If you are really interested in the science do some research on glycogen depletion and fat cell creation. It get's pretty in depth but the goal is to deplete the glycogen in your muscles and tap the glycogen in your liver by working out fasted which means that what you eat afterwards does not go to your liver first and potentially become fat cells but instead replenishes the muscle glycogen.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    What I've heard is that when you exercise on an empty stomach, it forces your body to burn up fat that is already stored to provide you with energy. Whereas, if you eat before working out, your body will use whatever you consumed to provide you with energy. And if you eat before you workout, I think you're suppose to wait about 2 hours after eating before working out. That's as much as I know. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've heard the same thing. I started working out first thing in the AM, before I eat, and it feels like I'm burning more throughout the day. However, that doesn't work when I am truly starving hungry first thing in the morning.

The theory was that by running in a fasted state you would burn more fat than glycogen (the idea being that your glycogen stores were reduced) but the fact is that it takes about 24hrs of fasting to deplete the glycogen stored in your liver.

Having said that, my favourite time of day to go for a run is 5:00AM, and I usually run my easy runs on an empty stomach. For my longer runs I'll eat and wait a couple of hours otherwise I'll bonk halfway through.

Whether you did it purposefully or not, you have just illustrated why this is not an "either/or" question. There is no one answer--even for the same person.

Intensity of exercise plays a big role, previous day's meals plays a role, previous few days of training can play a role.

In general, it is easier to do lower-intensity workouts on an empty stomach, High-intensity steady-state workouts will be more/most difficult. In general, performance for higher-intensity workouts will suffer if one exercises on an empty stomach. Eating before a workout doesn't mean having an entire meal. Often 100-200 calories is sufficient.

Exercising on an empty stomach does not provide any greater fat loss than exercising with food. Even if it does result in greater "fat burning" during the workout, the amount of fat burned during the workout has zero effect on losing stored body fat. Depending on the amount fat burned during a workout, the body adjusts fat oxidation at rest so that, after 24 hours, there is no difference.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    I think you'll know after you've tried it out for yourself.

Me, personally. I usually start my gym workout at 6.15pm and won't have eaten anything after 4pm.

I just went out for a run at lunch and ate an apple & a pear around 1 hour before and it was awful...could feel it all jumbling about!! :-/
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something, at least light, then wait an hour. It's not so good for me to burn when I'm running on empty. I will be sooo tired. :/
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't know any science that supports one way or the other, I think it boils down to personal preference. I *cannot* eat anything solid in the morning, I haven't been able to since I was a little kid. I roll out of bed at 5:30, do my exercise routine, and have a protein shake afterwards. The first solid food I eat is at lunch.
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My trainer said NEVER work out on an empty stomach and have almonds or a protein bar available to snack during a long intense workout. And don't forget to drink water.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    According to Bill Phillips: cardio on empty; weight training requires food.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bill Phillips is wrong.

There are millions of people who weight train in a fasted state and have no problems. Checkout www.leangains.com.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I eat about an hour before working out. Usually something light with a carb and a protein. I can't work out on an empty stomach, I would pass out! I need that fuel. I like having a piece of fruit as my carb, the sugar gives me a boost for a tough workout without being heavy on my stomach.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i personally only have a protein shake about an hour before i exercise. if i eat anything before i usually feel extremely ill. your metabolism is also raised after exercise so i eat after to replenish carbs etc.
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I tried to exercise once on an empty stomach but ended up with a pretty bad headache. I would suggest a piece of fruit or a protein shake just to take the edge off.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Bill Phillips is wrong.

There are millions of people who weight train in a fasted state and have no problems. Checkout www.leangains.com.

Bill Phillips will say whatever he needs to say to sell more myoplex.

I feel great weight training on an empty stomach.I mostly do cardio on an empty stomach if I'm keeping it to 30 mins or less. If I'm playing sports I eat something a few hours before.
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    I think it depends on what works for you. I'm used to exercising maybe an hour after eating. I tried to exercise once on an empty stomach and I felt really dizzy and could barely finish my 20 minute exercise.