excess skin removal

Options
bikermike5094
bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
Watched a show last night on TLC about some folks that were morbibly obese, lost a lot of weight with bypass surger and had a lot of excess skin. The show tracked them going through surgery to remove the skin.

Man, that was brutal to watch. Kudos to anybody who has gone through that...but man what they have to go through is insane.

Replies

• Sh3iz
    Sh3iz Posts: 12
    Options
    i think your talking about "my 600lb life"
    I've caught that, its a pretty tough show to watch, but very good at the same time.
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think there was one on just before "My 600lbs life", called "The Real Skinny" or something to that effect. I caught the tail end of it. It was so tough to watch, but I found it somewhat inspiring that these people were putting themselves through all of that... I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like.

I agree... kudos for anyone that went through, or is going through that.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've wondered exactly who would have to have this done. I have around 80 pounds to lose and I'm doing at about 2 pounds per week, and I wonder if I'm gonna need this surgery to remove skin under my arm, around my stomach, and/or on my inner thighs. I don't have near the excess skin as those people on TV, but I just wonder how much of it will actually retract.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I watched the show last night, all I could think of is" That would make a good horror movie"
  • Jessicaga82
    Jessicaga82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wonder about those spots also especially my stomach I already have the saggy lower stomach. I have a child also so I hear it is harder to tighten up the lower pouch. I have heard to give it 6 months to a year to tighten back up after you hit your goal weight. Hopefully it will all tighten up!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    i often wonder if its because of bypass, they lose so much weight in such a short time, their skin doesnt shink/retract like it should. I would guess slower weight loss ie: 2 lbs/week would allow the body to adjust better meaning less loose skin?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    They would still have to have it. Some women after having a baby have a pouch left and it never goes back after just 9 months, so imagine stretching your skin out that much for that many years.
  • Eydiebug
    Eydiebug Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too watched "The Real Skinny" last night on TLC. I'm almost to the point that Sarah was. After losing over 125lbs after WLS, and being overweight the majority of the life, I have sagging skin EVERYWHERE! It was amazing, and inspirational to watch their stories. I still have about 6 more months before I can even attempt to have any of this excess skin removed. I have to be at least 18 months post surgery before having anything done. I'm so looking forward to having this done!

Eydie