• mags080611
    mags080611 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

About 1200 sometimes less than that but pretty close to it
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why is this a bad thing? I don't understand.

Well, I didn't have THAT many to begin with...
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So you are drinking the shakes and all but not working out? This might work for now but how long will you keep it up?
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thats it exactly! but thats okay, ppl dont see your scale numbers, they see your figure. you dont look at a dress and say my weight will look good in that, you say I will look good at that... Take the inches, dont worry about the scale!

You're building muscle and losing fat ( inches! ) that's why the scale isn't moving!
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Actually I havent' been working out at all :( Sad I know.

your losing retained water weight,this happens when u increase water intake
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Why is this a bad thing? I don't understand.

Well, I didn't have THAT many to begin with...

You win! :laugh:
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating when you're losing inches and not weight. But just think of it this way. any type of loss is a good loss. At least it's not a gain. It could be worse, just keep your head up and you'll get where you wanna be.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you are gaining there is no way it's muscle. In a caloric deficit even with noob gains you aren't gaining a couple pounds of muscle over what you are losing in fat. Just not possible. Most likely it's water and waste weight. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8 pounds!

THIS!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at a minimum 1200 calories a day but from your age I think you probably need more calories than that. Eat at least 1200 calories of good foods and try to incorporated movement (walking, jogging) to start. And be patient, it didn't go on in 90 days, its not coming off in 90 days :)
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing.
  • huntjan49
    Options
    I didn't lose much weight for the first 2 months, but the inches have also come off. Trust me inches lost still makes you feel good and look great! Starting to wear my next smaller clothes that have been put away. So far in 10 weeks I have only lost about 13 lbs, but have lost inches. Since I'm making a life alteration in food and health, I'm not too worried. Weight loss that is slow will hopefully be more likely to stay off! I was frustrated too, but I still want to exercise and eat right. Don'''t give up no matter what!!!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    When I first started I was working out with a trainer twice a week and doing some cardio. I was attempting to eat a 1200-1400 calorie diet (I'm 5'5, was 173 lbs). I lost the same 3 lbs over and over again for THREE MONTHS. 90 DAYS of no scale movement basically. I do believe I lost some inches but not as much as my trainer thought I should. I looked better but It was pretty darn depressing. Things that helped me break the cycle:
    - push myself harder in cardio (at a realistic level- do lots of research on what that is- spend only 20% of your time anaerobic)
    - buy an HRM so you can actually see what you are burning
    - eat more frequent smaller meals (200-400 cals each)- I LOATHE THIS... but it helped. It might have been the game changer.
    - Ate back my exercise cals minus 100 (So if I burned 300 I'd eat 200 back)
    - Religiously logged accurately
    I started this probably September 5th ish. By October 3rd I had dropped to 167 and by december to 159. Of course then I plateaued (see above statement about anaerobic- I forgot that) but that's another story- haha! Good luck.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is what YOU see, the inches lost is what OTHERS see! Don't worry; be happy!
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying she gained muscle..which is impossible since she already responded that she's NOT WORKING OUT. I'm kind of baffled as to how you can gain weight but lose inches while not working out. Like another poster said, it must be water weight or something...but then she'd also be "puffier" from that, and wouldn't have lost inches would she? Quite the mystery!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is what YOU see, the inches lost is what OTHERS see! Don't worry; be happy!

This!
  • mrssmith636
    mrssmith636 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I guess people didn't read her reply. You can't build muscle if you don't work out. I don't know much about this body by vi but you have to get some exercise in.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Thats it exactly! but thats okay, ppl dont see your scale numbers, they see your figure. you dont look at a dress and say my weight will look good in that, you say I will look good at that... Take the inches, dont worry about the scale!

You're building muscle and losing fat ( inches! ) that's why the scale isn't moving!

That can't be it, especially if OP isn't working out. I wish people would quit telling people they are building muscles. At this point it has to be water and waste weight.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Everyone keeps saying she gained muscle..which is impossible since she already responded that she's NOT WORKING OUT. I'm kind of baffled as to how you can gain weight but lose inches while not working out. Like another poster said, it must be water weight or something...but then she'd also be "puffier" from that, and wouldn't have lost inches would she? Quite the mystery!

Actually if she is drinking a lot of water and you get enough you won't be puffier. There is a fine line on that. If you are holding water in because of sodium you'll be puffier, if you are getting your water daily value and you are hydrated you'll hold some water in but not be puffy.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you are gaining there is no way it's muscle. In a caloric deficit even with noob gains you aren't gaining a couple pounds of muscle over what you are losing in fat. Just not possible. Most likely it's water and waste weight. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8 pounds!

This! There is no way that you've lost 5 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. As a woman who isn't lifting crazy seriously it's not even somewhat possible. The majority of people can't gain muscle (weight) on a calorie deficit diet, which is why you hear people talking about bulking and cutting phases.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Inches = WAY more important than numbers!

It is the whole deal with having a mirror and a scale - there is no need, who looks in the mirror and thinks "man I look chubby, let me get on the scale and check - yup, it says I'm chubby".

Honestly we don't walk around with our number (weight) on our chest but our figure, our inches, is what people see - tell me what matters more ... unless you have a t-shirt with your weight that I don't know about