That is just sad

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
I have not exercised in a really long time. I finally bought a elliptical and put it together (which was not easy.) I can only use it for about five minutes straight before i get really out of breath/my heart rate goes too high. I have it on level one of the resistance. I will do it for five minutes then take a break and come back to it.

I just feel like i should be able to do more. I am 21 and i am not even technically overweight according to bmi. I rarely smoke so my lungs should be in fairly good shape.

Did anyone else have this problem when they started exercising ?

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I could go for 4 minutes on 5 mph. It was depressing but you just have to keep at it and you will get there. You have to start from somewhere.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Just keep working at it.. each time push yourself to go a little further or a little faster...
  • tmoyer1209
    tmoyer1209 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I loved the elliptical, so when I got one I was super excited! But I had the same issue as you, so I had to limit my time on it. It had too short a stride length for me so I had to return it, but am definitely looking for another one I can afford! Just keep trying and you will be sailing on it in no time!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual to be 'thin' and out of shape. Keep it up!
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yup.....I started walking on a treadmill for 10 minutes 3x a day...then it got to 15 minutes twice a day....etc. You're not going to do a marathon the moment you step on it....just keep with it, and try a little further each time. Plus, as a former smoker, it would be LOTS easier if you were not smoking at all.....best of luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    You just have to work your way up to build your resistance.

Look up some great interval programs, like the C25K. Or start small, like walking fast for 15 minutes or walking around in a pool for an hour.

You'll get there. :)
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    take it easy... go slowly and you will make it... I walk a lot on treadmills with incline because when I try elliptical, I get out of breath quickly and I don;t like it...
    (I am hoping than with less fat, I will be able to do better on the elliptical or running ;))

Getting healthy again is a slow process for better results... don;t get discouraged....
  • VLaaber
    VLaaber Posts: 30
    Options
    When I first started running, I'd throw a song and tell myself run til this song is DONE. It worked for me and slowly but surely I can for more than just one song. Good luck xoxo
  • blethenam
    blethenam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I first started on an elliptical I could barely make it 5 minutes. Over time(about 3 weeks, 3 times a week) I made it to a comfortable 45 minute stretch on the elliptical. Just do what you can, push a little harder each day, and you will get there!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel like being in shape is not an automatic thing because you're 'young' or something. You're right, you gotta start somewhere!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it, use your perceived exertion as your guide (or even better get a heart rate monitor) to intensity, maybe slow it down a little and gradually build up time.

When I started playing soccer again a few years ago I'd be ready to barf after a few minutes on the pitch.

Quit the smokes - even a few is bad for you.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Yepp. I just walked about a mile without having to stop. About a year ago I went to the beach and had to walk a mile and I had to stop and rest every few minutes. You'll get better.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I was the same. I would max out after 15 minutes. It made me really intimidated, and I stayed off it for about a year. I built up some muscle and some edurance doing other workouts, and finally was able to get on and STAY on for much longer. I'll tell you, it really helps to start low and slow, at first. I'm always tempted to go flying on it when I first get on, but seriously - take advantage of a "warm up" stage, and then, even when you start to feel exhausted and your heart is pounding, slow down, but stay on. Slow and steady. Just don't give up. :) It's quite fun once you get going.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! Just increase your speed and time little by little each day to build up your strength and endurance again. It sucks right now, but before you know it you'll be back at it!!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    OMG! My first step back to fitness was in a Capoeira class. I could not do the 2 -3 laps of the gym that was the warm-up!

At the end of my first class I actually asked the teacher if she knew CPR! Told her I was worried about having a heart attack!

That was almost 4 years ago! Today, I can keep up with anyone in my class and I have added Jeet Kune Do to my workout week along with biking in the summer, running in winter (started this Jan1 this year) and I do weights 2x per week.

I am in the best shape of my life and I am hungry to improve even more!

As advice: Keep at it! As it gets easier, push yourself a little. After a while the higher level will become easier and you will need to push again. Keep repeating.

You will be stunned at the results!

All the best on your journey!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Exercising and getting in shape is the best hobby ever.

1. you start with nothing.
    2. you get better every single time
    3. you get brave and try new ideas
    4. you branch out and leave your comfort zone
    5. you end up more awesome

Unfortunately too many people say- im young- i was born with a certain degree of fitness... i can do this. But its not true.

You have to get better- and you have a guarantee that every single time you can go at the very least, one second, longer.

DO it out of curiosity- just to see what happens, what tiny miniscule bit more you can do each day.

I DARE you to be one of those few awesome people who dont quit after a month cause they thought theyd b doing more.
    I DARE you to be one of those few awesome people who, after a month, are ready to see what they can make happen in the next 30 days.

or not, cause you dont want it bad enough yet. No biggie. We all reach that point on our own some day and no one can make us want it before we are ready.
  • fitmamma2012
    Options
    Difinately keep working at it .... something is always better than nothing. You didn't mention the speed at which you are going, but if your rpm's are too high, this explains why you are running out of breath quickly. Slow it down a bit and always work at increasing your duration before increasing your intensity. Once you are able to complete 30 minutes continuous exercise, then that's the time to increase your intensity level (either by speed or resistance). Your time will drop, but then you can work back up to 30 minutes at your new intensity level. Just keep building on what you are doing already and don't get discouraged!
  • jennifox63
    jennifox63 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I went back to exercising regularly after being off for about a year, I could only do 7 minutes on the elliptical at level one and 3.5 mph . I kept at it anyway, increasing my time a little each day, and now (about 8 months later) I am back to doing an hour on a regular basis, and often an hour and a half (at level 6 and 5-6 mph). Keep at it and stay consistent. You'll get there in no time!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Also, turn "rarely smoke" into "don't smoke". You'll see a quick improvement from that alone.
  • cherylastone1
    cherylastone1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am not on a elliptical yet (this time around) but I remember years ago, when I exercised a lot, the first time I got on one. 3 minutes and I thought I was going to do. I kept at it. I added a minute each day. Before I knew it, I could stay on it an hour, and the elliptical became my favorite machine! Keep at it - your situation is NOT unusual!