IS MFP TOO MUCH LIKE FB????????

Options

Replies

• galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    You DO know that "MFP" is short for "My Fitness PAL" right? It is intended to be a bit like FB....... hence the "pal" bit. Some people need the group of people that are going through the same thing and can be supportive and can rely on each other for motivation. I know that if I eat the wrong thing, dont eat enough, eat too much, whatever, that I will have people that count on me let down. If you want to only use it as a database, cool. Do what you do. But it isn't called "my fitness spreadsheet" for a reason.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    For me some of my fitness and health issues are directly tied to my life.

This past week I had to deal with some pretty heavy family stress that was REALLY making me want to turn to comfort food. The two are directly linked and go hand in hand. So I posted about my struggles because I knew I needed some encouragement to stop me from turning to food for comfort.

I'm not sure how anyone can divorce emotional health from physical health. The two, in my mind, are directly correlated.

My friends are all relatively new to me but I want to be there for their emotional well being as well as to encourage them in their fitness goals.

Anyway. To summarize; You just cannot divorce the mind and the heart from the body.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Basically I'M HERE STRICTLY FOR BUSINESS AND FOR ME!!

"Until...well now. When I decided to make a total FB like drama thread."

Word.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    You may be here for business but I love my group of friends and that I'm able to have stupid/silly/totally unfitness related conversations with them all day long. Keeps me from strngling people at work.

^^-this
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Basically I'M HERE STRICTLY FOR BUSINESS AND FOR ME!!

"Until...well now. When I decided to make a total FB like drama thread."

LMAO!!!! that so TRUE!
    See; no LIKE button, NOT like fb.
    No "Community" section, NOT like fb.
    No "games", NOT like fb

So, no, not too much like fb. I like this site much better :happy:
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    :smile: I USE THIS MOSTLY TO KEEP MYSELF IN LINE WITH MY FOOD INTAKE. MY DAUGHTER, HER HUBBY AND MY SONS GIRLFRIEND ARE NOW USING MFP! I AVOID CONFRONTATIONAL TOPIC'S OR PEOPLE...
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I am strictly here for the creepers.
  • hlshubert
    hlshubert Posts: 45
    Options
    You DO know that "MFP" is short for "My Fitness PAL" right? It is intended to be a bit like FB....... hence the "pal" bit. Some people need the group of people that are going through the same thing and can be supportive and can rely on each other for motivation. I know that if I eat the wrong thing, dont eat enough, eat too much, whatever, that I will have people that count on me let down. If you want to only use it as a database, cool. Do what you do. But it isn't called "my fitness spreadsheet" for a reason.

^^^ And what she said too ^^^
  • Brian001
    Brian001 Posts: 89
    Options
    The fun and personal makes the business side more bearable. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. It's much easier to consistently log in and track your food when you also want to see what your awesome pals are up to and not just workout wise. You should see some of the login streaks my friends have. It's amazing!
    ^^This.

Also, my MFPals are a lot more entertaining and encouraging than my friends on Facebook.

^^ This and This! Except i deleted my facebook due to wayyyyy too much drama. MFP= Much better!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ I agree with what a lot of these people are saying, but to answer your question directly...no, I don't think MFP is too much like Facebook. I don't get a ton of ----ville requests, timeline bs, instant messages from people I knew umpteen years ago, creepers, band jerks, or recommended mutual friends....now if MFP starts skinnyville, exerciseville, or wants to put everything in a timeline, then I'm out. Until then, I happen to like it here \m/
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    First of all.... where did the real David go?
    Second of all, I don't think people are uunderstanding your sarcasm with this. lol
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    im recruiting fit people incase theres a zombie apocalypse!

Sign me up - I'll help you fight them off!

Sorry...didn't mean to make this thread too FB-ish. :bigsmile:

For me it's 91.2863% fitness and 8.7137% social
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I am strictly here for the creepers.

Hey baby....how joooo doin"... ;-P
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    does it matter? just use it what you want to use it for.

This is true.^^^^^

I love mfp and do not like fb, except one group aattp.

I think mfp friends are so encouraging and helpful. I would still be 200# if it weren't for mfp. And I try really hard to only comment in the positive. I think most people do.
  • chrisbcats
    chrisbcats Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more friends on here....maybe it would motivate me to keep posting?

I'm your friend!!!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    First of all.... where did the real David go?
    Second of all, I don't think people are uunderstanding your sarcasm with this. lol

Sarcasm does not translate well online. At least... not for me.
  • flstarlady65
    Options
    I came here for one goal and that was to lose weight and have a clear concious about what I eat and how I exercise. I have added a few people to my "friends" list for encouragement and support. Then in return I give encouragement and support. I have learned a lot from others by reading community threads and it helps me along my way to a better me. I very rarely go on FB now that it has changed so much.

I like being here and it's all about me!!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Yes it is actually.
    Here lemme update my status:

I'm eating a muffin and drinking coffee.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm here strictly for the T&A.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I perfer MFP over FB, it's actually doing some good in my life in terms of health, compare to nonsensical FB