Need a more specific goal...

Options
I'm looking for a SPECIFIC goal to work towards. I have my UGW to work towards, but that seems so far off. I'm looking for a more specific short term goal. For example....weigh 190 by Easter, or something like that. Any ideas? Right now I'm limited on exercise (basically to walking) because of a sore back. I'm trying REALLY hard to concentrate on my calories and keeping them in check.

Just looking for something to work towards, short term...

Replies

• itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Well, what's your current height and weight? That might help. :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Well, what's your current height and weight? That might help. :)
    Sorry...that probably WOULD help! :)

CW: 202
    CH: 5'9"

GW: 175
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Nice, you're pretty close to me - I'm 5'10" and started at 195.

I like goals that I can achieve, rather than frustrating myself with something that's just beyond reach. I've found that 5 pounds a month has been working really well for me.

Since March is already half over, why not have a goal to be under 200lbs by April 1st? That's pretty short-term, and definitely achievable. :)

Even a good brisk walk burns around 5 calories a minute. Every 40 minute walk ups your calories by around 200, which is a great way to keep within your goals!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    How about a pedometer, to see if you can increase your steps.
    Or, how about a non-scale goal. My husband and I joined a challenge to have "meatless Mondays" for seven weeks and we just kept on doing it when the seven weeks were up, because it forced us to try new things and broaden our menu.
    How about a geographical challenge? Try new parks and neighborhoods you haven't walked in.
    You could train for an event. We are planning to attend the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Look for events near you.
    Try something new: yoga, spinning, biking, kayak, check out the local community center.
  • johncaraher
    johncaraher Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well, you've lost 8 pounds according to your ticker... what I'd do if I were you is first ask how far off I want my intermediate goal to be, then figure out how much I'd expect to lose if I kept losing at the same rate. Then maybe take a little bit off whatever that weight turned out to be if I wanted to challenge myself.

I started at 5'10" 210 and initially set my GW=180 because it seemed more attainable. Now that my CW is around 190 I've dropped my GW to 170, and I tend to think of my loss in terms of being some fraction of the way to the goal. (Somehow setting my goal at a 40 pound loss seemed unattainable but I could consider 30 since I once managed to lose ~25 in the past.)

The nice thing about goals is that you get to decide what they are!