IS MFP TOO MUCH LIKE FB????????

Options

Replies

• squirrrell
    Options
    I came on here to get fitter and healthier. I have had people make friends with me and I picked some up as well but I see this as a positive thing! It is good to motivate other people cos if I'm telling some one to keep going or not give up then I can't either!!

The main difference btn this and fb is that we are all trying to achieve the same thing - a lifestyle change!

If you are strictly on business then don't bother making friends with anyone or get involved just use the tools you require.

Good luck with your journey though x
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    both..who cares ?
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like MFP is much like Facebook at all. I don't feel like there are people that I've truly gotten to know on here or anything like that. But I have a very active social life, so I'm not really looking for socialization here. That may not be the case for people with less active social lives. (For example, people for whom their job is a main source or friendship or socialization. I don't really socialize with work people outside of work because I have a large and active group or friends outside of the workplace. Kind of the same thing with MFP.)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The majority of my interactions on MFP are fitness related. Sometimes the boards will have topics that are off but that's about it. I think it's fine though because 9 times out of 10 the topics are indirectly related.
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You may be here for business but I love my group of friends and that I'm able to have stupid/silly/totally unfitness related conversations with them all day long. Keeps me from strngling people at work.

AGREE!!!

I've actually found myself on here more than FB... Just wish MFP had a LIKE button :)
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Same as you
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol. mostly social, and some business
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Can we add a "like" button?
  • amandamay71
    amandamay71 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well l wish it had a like button!! :-)
    I have been here a few times in the past "strictly for buisiness" as you put it... but feel that l didnt reach out for the extra support, l didnt commit which led me to loose interest!
    So no l have reached out for like minded people to be MFP friends that are experiencing what l am am struggle with there weight as l do... And l do believe this will help motivate me.. We are all different so do what ou feel comfortable with and l will also. :-)
    So if anyone is interested in extra support from others feel free to add me!
  • alibay77
    alibay77 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is Facebook for health and fitness and I'm loving it too!!! So grateful for this site.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Mine is both! Some of MFP friends were my FB friends first, college roommates, family, friends, etc. So we can socialize on here while encouraging each other to be healthier.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Basically I'M HERE STRICTLY FOR BUSINESS AND FOR ME!!

"Until...well now. When I decided to make a total FB like drama thread."

LMAO!!!! that so TRUE!
    See; no LIKE button, NOT like fb.
    No "Community" section, NOT like fb.
    No "games", NOT like fb

So, no, not too much like fb. I like this site much better :happy:

What he said.
    I'm hardly ever on FB anymore thanks to you people. (Yes, ALL of YOU)
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was on here for almost a year before I had a single friend. I found a lot of information reading postings though, and found myself responding to people who seemed to have run into a couple of the same questions and problems as me. I have FB, but haven't been on in over a month. Meanwhile, the support I give and get and information we ALL share has been invaluable. Use it for what you want, but good luck on your journey!
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I closed my FB account 3 monhs ago due to privacy issues and also too much non sense crap and time wasting. FB is all about gossip, wasting time, etc

I prefer MFP, because all of us have the same goal (be active, fit, los weith, health realted issues.

MFP site saves lifes, FB just wastes time of your life.

thats my very personal opinion

:D
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I suck at %'s but for me my pals are crucial to my success. I love their witty jokes, reading how their days went - - in many situations all these are parts of their weight-loss journey and I'm honored that they share it with me.

Just my two cents . . . :smile:
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    :smile: Mine is not social at all! I am here for me and if i find people to keep me in check and i can do the same for them great but if not oh well! This site is just for a healthier life for me. I am sure you could find drama on here but i stay away! Hope it works out for you! :smile:

I agree with this and I actually delete people as my friends that use this site like facebook. I will post on threads but don't ever check back on the thread once I post either.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It's not enough like it.... since I don't have a LIKE button!

:D
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Use it for what you want to use it for. I don't see the big deal. If people are cutting up or talking about things you don't care about, then remove them from your list.

The power... is yours
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I too am VERY serious about my "weight loos journey" if you will... I didn't even know there was a social network on MFP for almost a month. I found that having friends who cheer you on and encourage and motivate you is one of the BEST things to keep me on my toes.
    I don't have any support otherwise, and like many people here- we need support whether its a food diary or friends or both. There are some ridiculous posts which (to me) are a waste of time. But the amount of information I have obtained about food, dieting, NOT dieting, exercising, lifting weights... I could not have gathered on my own without the guidance.
    Personally, I haven't used facebook in over a year. I didn't like it. But i do like having a circle of friends who are working their butts off with me.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I am here for on thing and one thing only: naked photos of well defined rumps. If I have to be a fitness freak to get them, so be it. I if I have to be a chatty Cathy to get them, so be it. But I will get the nudie booties.