Always tired-sleep help needed

Options
Okay, this might seems weird, but it's what I need. I'm a full time working woman, a mother of two boys who are 5 and 7, and a wife. My husband works full time and is also getting his master's degree. That's just to give you an idea of how bloody busy I am most of the time. It's not an excuse, though, more a symptom.

I am tired all the time. This didn't start with the weight loss journey, either. It's been this way for years. I have a very hard time going to bed on time and I get up early. The getting up early isn't negotiable, unfortunately. So, I need help finding ways to get myself to go to bed on time. I currently have a habit of staying up until midnight and sometimes ready until 12:30. When my alarm goes off at 6:30 or 7, that's not great. I am hoping to move my bedtime back to a consistent 10:30 eventually, but I'll settle for starting with a consistent 11pm for now.

If you've been in this boat, where you had a hard time going to bed at a reasonable hour (even when tired!), but managed to conquer it, then please share your tips with me! Thanks!

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I had really bad sleep issues for years. It seems to be resolved. First, I got a divorce. LOL. Seriously.

But, that might nopt be your problem. Second, I went to see a doctor about it because I was at the end of my rope. He told me, "You need to fix your life problems. I am not giving you drugs to sleep." He gave me a bunch of information and a little kit that had some natural sleep pills (Melatonin), and some other stuff. Anyway, Melatonin works OK. It just helps you sleep, but it doesnt' knock you out, which is really what I wanted.

Recently, I began to adjust some things. A couple things seemed to work. First, I created a little routine for bed. I turn off the tv early. They say that the light for a TV or computer screen keeps your brain from producing melatonin, which is the little drug that makes you sleepy that your body produces. There's something about that light that stops it. So, turn off the TV and computer early, like 30 minutes prior. I go put on my pajamas, I wash my hands and face, brush my teeth, and get into bed, around 10 or 10:30. Then, I start to read. the goal is to be asleep by 11. Plus, get the house quiet, and have everything done. So, don't mess around, right after dinner, clean up. Just make sure everything is done and put away so you don't worry or think about anything. Once you get into bed, stay there. Don't get up and do anything else. Relax.

Now, I don't have to do these things anymore, as I think I've trained my body to sleep when I'm ready. But, for many years, I suffered badly from no sleep. I used to not sleep for maybe 4 or 5 days in a row, and I felt like I was sleep walking during the daytime. It was horrible. But, I seem to have resolved it.

There's more to it than I can really say here. Had to do with cleaning out, and picking up after myself, and making sure that things are done as they should be. It's not an OCD thing, it's just that leaving all these loose ends hanging around in my life really affects my sleep. Just knowing that about myself was a huge step in sleeping better at night. Dont' leave things unresolved.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. The routine sounds like a good idea-particularly the tv and computer thing. That tv is one of my biggest issues so that probably needs to be my first step. Next comes the loose ends-I know what you mean about those keeping your mind from resting.

You mentioned the not sleeping for days and now that I think about it, that's where all this started. In college I used to go days on end without sleeping and it's gone from there. Thanks again for the input-I'm definitely going to put these steps into practice and see if this doesn't help me start getting to sleep earlier.
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood work done recently? I found out that I'm anemic.

Your thyroid functioning can also be related to tiredness. I'd try to get those ruled out!
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the tv and all other electronic devices (computer, cellphone, etc...) in the bedroom. Make the bedroom a place to sleep and get busy with your DH. Other than that, limit the time you spend in your bedroom. I read this in an article a few years back and it helped my insomnia immensely. You basically train yourself that the bedroom is for the two S's: sleep and s*x. That way when you go in your bedroom your brain knows it's time for bed (or s*x.)

I also take a bath an hour or two before bedtime because it gives me a chance to relax and I read somewhere that as your temperature lowers from the bath you naturally become sleepy.

And when in doubt or when I absolutely have to sleep, I take a 5 mg Melatonin about 30 minutes before I plan to go to bed (just make sure it's at least 8 hours before you plan to get up.) I have been taking Melatonin for over a decade with no ill effects and all of my doctors approve of it. Tea spiked with Valerian at bedtime can also help (check the ingredients on sleepy time teas); you can also buy Valerian in pill form but it's more expensive than Melatonin and it smells like dirty, stinky feet so I prefer it in tea form because they usually cover the smell with peppermint.
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know my biggest issue with sleep is stress. My brain won't shut off. I worry about what's happening tommorow, what I failed at today, finances (that's a common one), my Son's future, ect ect ect. I have started repeating the A,B,C's over and over again sometimes, 1st coming up with a boys name for each letter, then a girls, then an animal, ect ect. I also read really pointless manga comics, nothing that makes me think.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I found that putting the my stepdaughter to bed earlier helped me get more things done so I could go to bed earlier. Her bedtime was 8pm when she was 5 and 9pm when she was 7. That way I had 2-3 hours before I went to bed to get things done.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of getting a divorce...

kidding.

although I sleep like a dream now ;)
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Try a magnesium supplement. Has done wonders for me.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I always avoid caffeine after 4 pm- it really does affect me.

I also use Melatonin, but only need 1 mg.
    I also found night shades and soft foam ear plugs help me get into a deeper sleep- but no so deep that I don't hear anything.
    They just muffle the sounds- I can still hear the grandkids if they sleep over.

You just need to eliminate the things that get you wired up....I'm sure you'll figure out what *they* are
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Agree with advise about tv and computer out of bedroom. Also recommend a milky drink before bed and if you can't read, how about listening to an audio book, something amusing and light.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Okay, this might seems weird, but it's what I need. I'm a full time working woman, a mother of two boys who are 5 and 7, and a wife. My husband works full time and is also getting his master's degree. That's just to give you an idea of how bloody busy I am most of the time. It's not an excuse, though, more a symptom.

I am tired all the time. This didn't start with the weight loss journey, either. It's been this way for years. I have a very hard time going to bed on time and I get up early. The getting up early isn't negotiable, unfortunately. So, I need help finding ways to get myself to go to bed on time. I currently have a habit of staying up until midnight and sometimes ready until 12:30. When my alarm goes off at 6:30 or 7, that's not great. I am hoping to move my bedtime back to a consistent 10:30 eventually, but I'll settle for starting with a consistent 11pm for now.

If you've been in this boat, where you had a hard time going to bed at a reasonable hour (even when tired!), but managed to conquer it, then please share your tips with me! Thanks!
    1mg sublingual melatonin (oral absorption of melatonin is poor, which is why a lot of people think it doesn't work) will put you out in about 30 minutes. Also try to avoid TV/computer/blue spectrum light (e.g. florescent lights) for at least an hour before bed (the longer the better). Most common cause of trouble sleeping is too much exposure to blue-spectrum light, which tells your body it is the middle of the day, and will screw up your ability to sleep well. Red-spectrum lights are OK. If you HAVE to use your computer later in the evening, get something like f.lux: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Hope this helps!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love being divorced in that I do not have any one else waking me up :)
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking caffeine entirely. I found that I was drinking so much in the morning that it was keeping me awake at night which made me drink even more in the morning so I had some energy. When I quit, it tool about three days for the sluggishness, headaches and joint pain to stop but I rarely have trouble sleeping now.
  • spurradic
    spurradic Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i agree with a previous poster. i know tiredness like that can be a symptom of thyroid issues (my mom and aunt both have thyroid issues). it might be worth a trip to the doctor just to rule it out
  • menard2530
    menard2530 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with anyone and everyone who says to get a checkup; blood work included. That's always a possibility (I'm sorry I didn't note your age first) what with us women and our hormones after a certain point in our lives.
    As you said your days are bloody busy to begin with, so make sure you're taking the right vitamins and also I recently realized that I can add more estrogen (which low estrogen can make you sleepy as well) into my diet naturally through things like beans (edamame, kidney, navy beans) and fruits (apricots and raisins to name two) and other veggies such as kale. You could look into that too because worst case scenario you're eating more fruits and veggies. We could all probably do with a few more fruits and veggies :)
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Have you tried Magnesium Citrate powder? I use the NOW brand and love it! I also use Valerian sometimes, but don't need it much now that I use the magnesium at night.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i have a husband who snores BAD!, i am lucky to get a straight 5 hours, sigh,,,,,,,,,i know how you feel i really do!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

That sucks, I have sleep issues myself. I read a few months back that one thing might help you sleep is taking a COLD, not hot, shower before bed. Apparently your body has to cool-off to a certain temperature before it can sleep which is why we typically sleep better in the winter months. I don't know how valid the article was, it was on Yahoo LOL, but it seems reasonable.

2. Force yourself to get into bed at a better time. I know it's hard after a long day of running your *kitten* off and that's probably some of your "Me" time, but sleep is important.

3. There is a natural supplement called 5HTP and it's helped me a little. It's like $20 at GNC for 90 tabs I think.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    For a few days, Set your alarm for a hour earlier than you normally get up. You'll reset your internal clock and be tired earlier. See if It works. Maybe you could do a morning exercise or just relax with a cup of coffee before everyone gets up.