To eat your earned calories or to NOT eat your earned calori

Options
2»

Replies

• carlongo75
    Options
    I do not count calories, I just follow one rule and is eat 5-6 times per day with intervals of 2 to 3 hours between meals and my post workout protein shake. I am in a low carbs diet so I do not eat bad carbs, sugars, or alcohol.

I train hard and I do cardio every day so my body needs fuel to function properly.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    This topic will come up forever
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat my calories back, and im constantly under my caloric goal, by 400 or so, I suppose I should eat more... but I have been getting constant results...

^ same thing here. i never eat my exercise calories...well okay, i eat maybe 30 at the most. but typically i have 200-300 left from exercise. i've been at this for 8.5 weeks and have continued to see great results, so i will stick with not eating them until things start to change. do what works for you!
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good thing to eat back your exercise calories, as long as you are filling yourself with the right kind of calories. If you go burn off 600 calories on the treadmill, then reward yourself by getting a chocolate milkshake, you are kind of defeating the purpose. But burn off those 600 calories, then eat some pasta or another form of complex carbs that will help you continue to burn the calories after your workout. Or have some veggies and light dip. It's all about choosing the right foods to help you reach your goal, not how many calories you can get in. I had a friend say "well, if I only have half of the Hershey bar, that's only half the calories, and better for me!" Yeah, it may be half the calories as having the whole candy bar, but it's still a candy bar. Not the best logic...
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I'm too hungry to not eat those calories!! I feel like I eat over my calories and then burn them off at the gym afterwards, is that ok? :)
  • Kristen0526
    Kristen0526 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm too hungry to not eat those calories!! I feel like I eat over my calories and then burn them off at the gym afterwards, is that ok? :)

Yes, your body is letting you know that it isn't getting all the nutrients it needs to get through the day, so listen to it and give your body the fuel it needs to keep going. Like I said above, just eat the right things and I don't see any problem with eating over your goal then burning it off. I do it some days, too.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I can see marked results (negative) in my athletic output when I do not eat at least MOST of my calories back. Also, the whole concept of saving calories to snack on the weekends is not all that great.... The salt/sugar content of snacks have a longer impact then just the calories....
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    not a popular answer here-but I do NOT eat exercised calories back.
  • dlmadeja
    dlmadeja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories back unless I know I'm going to be in a situation where I will definitely be going over my calories. Normally I consider my exercise calories, bonus calories for my body and I'm never hungry at the end of the day so I never feel the need to eat them. I just make sure whatever I'm eating is low in calories so I can eat more of it and not tap into my "savings" of calories. So far I have had amazing results and I have lost over 70 lbs so I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat my calories back, and im constantly under my caloric goal, by 400 or so, I suppose I should eat more... but I have been getting constant results...

I do have a cheat meal every Friday of anything I want, and snacks that night. But clean all other days of the week. Gives me something to look forward too, and is a great reward!

this is EXACTLY what i do.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Exercise must be fed if you want the body to get stronger, which is usually the reason for exercise.

This is a great quote and bears repeating... so I will!

Love this!!!I So true!
  • celmore10
    Options
    I am eating calories earned on the days I do Zumba or Yoga (2 days/week usually). On the days I do Crossfit (3 days/week) I am not eating the calories earned there. The reason is that I couldn't decide between losing 1 lb/week or 2 lb/week. the calorie limit for 2/week was too limiting for me and I feel like the 1/week is a little too many. So.. this is my happy medium. Make sense ?
  • GeorgiaDaughter
    GeorgiaDaughter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat mine if I'm hungry or want a extra treat. If I'm not really hungry I don't. I just go with the flow. I just started and already seeing results:)
  • StacieM72
    StacieM72 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I have eaten that day if I eat them back or not. I had stirfry veggies tonight with a fruit and yogurt smoothie and my belly is so bloated. I still have calories to eat tonight but seriously doubt if it happens!
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. I naturally did this cus i knew nothing about eating calories back.
    I never eat my calories back unless I know I'm going to be in a situation where I will definitely be going over my calories. Normally I consider my exercise calories, bonus calories for my body and I'm never hungry at the end of the day so I never feel the need to eat them. I just make sure whatever I'm eating is low in calories so I can eat more of it and not tap into my "savings" of calories. So far I have had amazing results and I have lost over 70 lbs so I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing :)