When to fit in workouts

Options
I am having a hard time fitting in a workout. I work 8-5 and have events after work usually until 8pm and by then I'm not feeling the working out. I have been trying to fit it in at 5am but sometimes I am so tired.

Is working out in the morning better or evening?

I'm sure alot of you are busier than I so I'm hoping for some good workout tips:smile:

Replies

• lirparolyat1
    Options
    I am fortunate that I get three hours per week for fitness time where I work. But I also schedule other workout times. When my husband is out of town, I actually hire a babysitter so I can make my scheduled tennis sessions. I try to get my runs in during my work fitness time. But when I need to get something done and have a full schedule, I set that alarm extra early to get it in. I really try not to work out much later than 9 pm or I can't sleep. It gets hard to wind down. However if I have a long race I am training for and the only time to get the run in is 11pm, then there I am on the treadmill. But I try not do to that too often. I think that it is just personal preference though. You might have to try both for several days to see how you feel and then go from there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "Events" is a little vague but I feel your pain, both of my kids play competitive soccer (all year 'round) and I'm self employed so work hours can be erratic but it comes down to a matter of time management and priorities. One thing I started doing (even though I prefer to run in the mornings) is to shift my schedule around so that I may do my weights in the morning and go for a run while the soccer practice is on.

Could you work out during your lunch break?

I know it sounds counter intuitive but I also find at times that when I'm tired after work it's more a case of being tired mentally (I'm in an office all day) and that an evening workout actually clears the cobwebs.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest during lunch as well. I am not a morning person and generally workout later in the day, but not too late or I can't sleep because the intensity of my workouts get me really pumped for several hours afterword. I don't know of anything that proves morning or evening workouts are better. I think the best is working out at a time where you can do it regularly.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When to fit in workouts

Right now!
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    "Events" is a little vague but I feel your pain, both of my kids play competitive soccer (all year 'round) and I'm self employed so work hours can be erratic but it comes down to a matter of time management and priorities. One thing I started doing (even though I prefer to run in the mornings) is to shift my schedule around so that I may do my weights in the morning and go for a run while the soccer practice is on.

I know it sounds counter intuitive but I also find at times that when I'm tired after work it's more a case of being tired mentally (I'm in an office all day) and that an evening workout actually clears the cobwebs.

^^I have Church events after work (Academy, LifeGroup and Church). I am usually done and home by 8. I too sit in an office all day. Lunch isn't really a good time since I try to get dinner made during that time(but great suggestion). One of my favorite things to do is walk the track with my ipod, I could go after 8 to "clear the cobwebs." Thank you for the suggestions
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    When to fit in workouts

Right now!

Hmmm kinda hard to work out in my office
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    When to fit in workouts

Right now!
    YES haha
  • Snapplejac
    Snapplejac Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've joined a gym near my office so I can go at lunchtime. If that doesn't work, you could spend an hour walking around near where you work? What about walking/cycling to/from work. See if you can get some 'events' which involve moving around :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The majority of the time I work out during lunch... otherwise I would have no time to do other things... as I leave my house at around 7am and don't get home until almost 6pm... and then trying to get dinner ready by 7 and then getting the DD down to bed by 8... yeah, I understand tired... so I do what I can during my work schedule.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Could you take some small exercise equipment like dumbells, stability ball, etc. to work and use them in your "spare" time or while you are thinking on a task? I know this is not an entire workout but possibly could help.
  • figomezzo
    figomezzo Posts: 29
    Options
    I commute about 3 hours a day to work so on top of working 8 hours I was struggling to find time to get a work out in. By the time I made my 90 drive home in the evenings I was too tired for anything but dinner and the couch.

I noticed that my energy was at its highest right in the middle of the day, so now I try to leave work and get a pilates class in or go right at 5 when im getting off work and squeeze in a cardio session. Can you prepare your dinners over the weekends so it frees up your lunch hour?!
  • jobelle217
    jobelle217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no time to work out so I feel your pain. I work the equivalent of two full time jobs.....

But here's an idea I'm trying: my husband bought a zumba PS3 game for the house. I worked out using it the other day and tried to get my son (who is 15 months old) to "dance" with me. What little time I have at home, I try to spend with him so I'm hoping this will work out :)

Maybe if you can come up with something fun to do in the evening for you and your close friend/significant other/husband/kids, you'll be more motivated to do it?
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For Me i have no energy when i get home for working out. take care of my dad, take care of my hubby take care of house, supper whatever. So i get up at 430 am and do my workout and make time for some breakfast too (this part is new). I feel pretty pleased with myself for the rest of the day. Work even goes a bit smoother too. but again that is me.
    Please find the time for you, you deserve it.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I get up at 4:30, get to gym at 5am, workout till 6:45, shower and get home by 7:15. Get son on bus, work till 5, then the usual busyness of life (kids,events,yard/house,etc) till 8 or 9pm. No, I do not like mornings anymore than anyone but I know I must make it work, like it or not. "No excuses - just do it"
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I found it was much easier to 'find' time when I made it a priority. Planning ahead is helpful - and actually doing it regardless of excuses is important.

I work full time and part time, and have two young kids. There is ALWAYS a reason not to do it. BUT, I'd rather keep the promises I make to myself. So, sometimes that means at 9pm I am getting on the treadmill, or popping in the 30DS or turning on the Wii. For nights that are way over-scheduled, I get up earlier or I wait until the kids are in bed. Another bonus to the 30DS is that it is ONLY 27 minutes.

One of my friends works in an agency setting, and tracks all of her time by the quarter hour for billing purposes. When she started losing weight, she applied this principle to the rest of her day. She frequently complained there just wasn't anytime for exercise. However, she found that there was usually time found for watching tv. Then, she put a tv near her treadmill. She traded the majority of the time spent watching tv to working out. Made a huge difference.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options

^^I have Church events after work (Academy, LifeGroup and Church). I am usually done and home by 8. I too sit in an office all day. Lunch isn't really a good time since I try to get dinner made during that time(but great suggestion). One of my favorite things to do is walk the track with my ipod, I could go after 8 to "clear the cobwebs." Thank you for the suggestions

Maybe you could encourage your church group to have active events. I know when I went we were alway doing something fun and active.
  • PepperGirl1
    PepperGirl1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Saying I am not a morning person would be an understatement. But I noticed that life go in the way of evening workouts. Last September, I started doing morning workouts - getting up at 5:00 to be at the gym by 5:30. I started off slow. Going only 2 days a week. I figured I could get up just 2 days a week. My third workout was at a more reasonable hour on Saturdays. Then I gradually increased to 3 and then 4 days a week. Now, if I lay in bed I know I will feel guilty for not getting up so that is motivation.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How about committing to work out both days on the weekend, then pick 2 days during the week where you throw something in the crock pot, thereby giving you time at lunch to exercise?

Easiest crock pot recipe ever is a pot roast. Put in the roast and cover with one package of lipton onion soup mix, one can of Campbell's golden mushroom soup, whatever frozen veggies you like and water to cover roast. Cook on low all day. I do throw in fresh potatoes because they cook better, but that's still pretty quick.
  • mybettyboop43
    Options
    How about committing to work out both days on the weekend, then pick 2 days during the week where you throw something in the crock pot, thereby giving you time at lunch to exercise?

Easiest crock pot recipe ever is a pot roast. Put in the roast and cover with one package of lipton onion soup mix, one can of Campbell's golden mushroom soup, whatever frozen veggies you like and water to cover roast. Cook on low all day. I do throw in fresh potatoes because they cook better, but that's still pretty quick.

Thank you for the tips, I do use the crockpot often and that sounds like a good recipe.