Appropriate tip for a haircut?

Options
If I pay $85 for highlights and a cut what is an average tip/good tip/great tip. I am especially interested in hearing from hairdressers!

Replies

• Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Do tell...
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Depends how happy you are with the cut. I wouldn't pay over $20, though if it's an establishment.
    If the hairdresser has to rent their own space and pay for their own stuff, not over 30, I think.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hair dresser, but when I get a cut it's $65, and I usually tip $15 (in cash), which is probably a little high but my stylist has to block out an extra half hour when she does my hair (it's REALLY thick and dense). I pretty much tip anyone in the service industry, whether it be beauty or at a restaurant, around 20% unless it sucks. Now, if I got a cut and highlights or something and it was like a $120 service, I'm not sure I'd tip $40, but I don't really know the etiquette on that
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    minimum of %20 so 20 would be good. more if you are extra happy with the work.
  • Erinslove
    Options
    thanks
  • Erinslove
    Options
    BTW - I am usually a very big tipper when I get good service (at restaurants/salons etc) however, I am insanely broke right now...I waited tables for years so I feel comfortable with that (and if I can't afford to tip correctly I can't afford to eat out) but since I have never worked in a salon, and getting my hair done isn't optional like eating out, I just wanted to make sure my current restricted budget didn't lead me to undertip.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    WOW...just wow...I have not paid more than $50 for all the cuts I've had in the last year...combined!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    When it comes to beauty services, I tip 20% if I'm happy with the service, 15% if I'm unhappy with the service, and 10% if the person was rude. If I'm unhappy with the cut or color, I wouldn't tip until it was fixed.. but that's never happened to me.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get my hair cut for $12 and will tip between $3 and $8. Depending on whether I need to pick up lunch or not.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I get my hair cut for $12 and will tip between $3 and $8. Depending on whether I need to pick up lunch or not.

I don't get tipped for what I do, and they make more money than me. So *GASP* I give 'em about $5...go get a coffee

I tip my tattoo artist about $20 though, that's a couple of beer
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tip about 18% BUT the gal who does my hair is the salon owner's daughter and she makes 50% commission, most stylists only make I think 30%.

I'm in the chair for 3 hours, (hi and low lights and a cut) she does a really great job.
  • muscular_dude
    Options
    I get my hair cut for $25 and tip $20 is that to much?
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Get your haircut in the UK and you don't HAVE to tip! I would only tip either to round it up to the nearest £5 so up top £5 (I think that's about $10)
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I pay 150$ for cut & color. I tip her 40$. She is working with my hair afterall.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Get your haircut in the UK and you don't HAVE to tip! I would only tip either to round it up to the nearest £5 so up top £5 (I think that's about $10)

my experience is that in europe that really affects service. especially wait staff. without the incentive of a tip they dont work as hard.
  • Stylistntenn
    Options
    I am a hairstylist in a very small rural town so good tips are sometimes rare lol. You've got the usuals who tip nothing at all or a buck.. Then you do have the occasionals who tip well, maybe a $10 tip on a cut or $20-30 tip on a color. For a woman's cut and style I charge $22 (sounds cheap, but keep in mind my town is a small southern town and that's about the going rate). I appreciate it even if the person rounds it up to $25! Every little bit counts. BUT, as a general rule, I think 15-20% is fair.

I think the reason some people don't tip me is because I own my shop (It's just me, though, no other stylists) and they think all the money is PROFIT for me but it's not! I have to buy hair products, office and cleaning products, pay rent, electricity, gas/water, and phone. And that's just the basics, not even including if I decide to do anything extra such as advertising, etc. So, honestly, I have little profit. I do hair because I love it and I love the flexibility of being self-employed. So, I urge everyone to think about their stylist trying to make an honest living and tip them if they deserve it. :smile:
  • KHoward05
    KHoward05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a hairdresser and I honestly never expect a tip unless the client feels like they can afford it. $85 for a cut and highlights is a good price. I saw some ppl posted about $10 haircuts.. keep in mind you get what you pay for... Also if you are strapped for cash and you really want to get your hair down go to the local Technical College and get your hair done by the girls (guys) that are going to school for it. They need the practice and it is usually priced at a discount :)
  • Stylistntenn
    Options

I don't get tipped for what I do, and they make more money than me. So *GASP* I give 'em about $5...go get a coffee

I tip my tattoo artist about $20 though, that's a couple of beer

.. You might just think that your stylist makes more than you. A lot DON'T. :smile: People assume that of me, that I make a lot of money. It does seem like I do by what they put in my hand, but I don't. I have to pay for hair products/supplies, office supplies, cleaning products, pay rent, electricity, gas/water, phone, etc... Once I pay all that, my profit is usually less than half of what comes into my hand from the client. Even hairdressers that booth rent or are on commission only take home a portion of what they "get paid." But I'm not fussin' on ya or nothing.. Kuddos to you for the $5 tip. :smile: That's great!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I get my hair cut at Fantastic Sam's. It's usually somewhere around 12-13 bucks, and I'll tip 2 or 3 dollars. On a 10 dollar wax, I'll tip 2.00 dollars.