Comfort Food to Healthy!

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsepiphany
    mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have a blog www.thinmeals.blogspot.com that i just started that gives healthier options to dishes. I cook everyday and am currently tweaking my own recipes to share. What are some comfort foods you would love to have a healthier and tasty version of?

I'm glad you have taken this on. Back in the "olden days" when I was a Weight Watchers member, I used to take just about any recipe and modify it to fit into the WW exchange program. That was before computers and sharing. Good luck and "atta girl" for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Thanks and your welcome! I love to cook and I am making a lifestyle change so why not share!
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    Thanks for the extra pointers! '

I love doing this too! A lot of recipes you can just take out/use less of the butter/oil and save TONS of calories. Sub skim milk for cream, use applesauce in place of oil, egg whites or substitute for eggs, stevia(or whatever no cal sweetener) instead of sugar, light sour cream instead of mayo. I use shredded up zucchini or spaghetti squash in place of noodles a lot. Rinsing ground meat after cooking cuts out a lot of fat too. With casseroles, use less noodles or rice and fill it with lots of veggies and cut the amount of cheese in half or just put it on top...I'm not a huge fan of low fat cheese. Also, using a strong flavored cheese like feta will help you to use less of it. As far as gravy goes, when I make a pot roast, or any meat in the crock pot, I cut up some onion, celery, carrots & garlic in to cook with the meat and then once they are soft, I puree them in the blender with some of the cooking liquid and it makes a nice thick sauce that's great over mashed potatoes, veggies or meat. Its not exactly gravy, but it does the job.
    There are some things that just have to be the real, full calorie, full fat deal, but if you make better choices with everything else, you can afford(calorie wise) to have those things here and there.
  • Collymarps
    Collymarps Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Macaroni cheese and key lime pie!!! Yum yum yum . .
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    Macaroni cheese and key lime pie!!! Yum yum yum . .

i am working on the mac n cheese
    I have a recipe already that isn't bad but trying to make it healthier and i can try out the key lime pie too. My hubby loves it.
  • loulouBean
    loulouBean Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump