Beginners Strength Training? HELP!

Options
Hey guys! Here's my dilemma. I've lost weight already, and am still going, but I really want to start incorporate strength training into my routine. This would be on top of the cardio I do most days of the week.

I'm looking to tone up, and gain some lean muscle.

But I have one concern:
1. I know that muscle burns more calories than fat but I don't want to be stuck at a super long plateau (weight wise) because I'm gaining muscle ... quicker than I'm losing fat. If that makes sense. How long does it generally take for the initial plateau to turn back around into fat (and weight) loss?

I'm a total newbie to strength training and I'd love some tips or routines as to how to get started if anyone has any information I'd love to hear it.

Oh and one more thing, I know people are raving about The New Rules of Lifting for Women but I've also heard it isn't right for people like me who literally don't know the names of exercises or machines.... awkward.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Here's my dilemma. I've lost weight already, and am still going, but I really want to start incorporate strength training into my routine. This would be on top of the cardio I do most days of the week.

But I have one concern:
    1. I know that muscle burns more calories than fat but I don't want to be stuck at a super long plateau (weight wise) because I'm gaining muscle ... quicker than I'm losing fat. If that makes sense. How long does it generally take for the initial plateau to turn back around into fat (and weight) loss?

It won't happen. To gain muscle quickly in a calorie deficit is virtually impossible. It is possible that for a week or two since you are new to lifting your muscles will hold on to extra water to help with the recovery process, but putting muscle on that fast is difficult even when eating at a fairly large surplus of calorie. This is true even for men who have the hormonal make-up to put on muscle much easier than women.

This post will tell you about the possible weight gain from a new exercise program http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

I would suggest that instead of focusing just on the scale, use a measuring tape and take your measurements.
    I'm a total newbie to strength training and I'd love some tips or routines as to how to get started if anyone has any information I'd love to hear it.
    Oh and one more thing, I know people are raving about The New Rules of Lifting for Women but I've also heard it isn't right for people like me who literally don't know the names of exercises or machines.... awkward.

I can't comment on this book since I have not read it. Sort of for a different audience then me.
  • dreweth
    dreweth Posts: 23 Member
    Options

But I have one concern:

Hello! You are right that most people tout the NROL (Men or Women's version), but reading the book does explain everything, and you will almost never use the "machines" anymore after that. It's all free weights.

If you need more personalized instruction than a book, you may consider paying for personal training at a gym, where an expert (hopefully) can show you the ins and outs of resistance training, whether machines, free weights, or both are your style.

Lastly, you can get a strength training dvd set like P90X or others and a set of dumbells for the home; you can see the people onscreen perform the exercise and follow along.

Which one of these options makes sense depends on you, but do the smart thing and don't just grab weights or machines and use them without having a plan.
  • HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    Thanks so much both of you! That article was super helpful and reassuring. I'm going to do more research into the book, and have a family friend who trains who can maybe show me the ropes :)
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I just bought the book and the exercises are illustrated and a description on how to do them is included. If you belong to a gym, I'm sure someone there can walk you through and show you how to work each machine that the book suggests, which aren't many. I think it's pretty easy to follow. I'll be starting this on Monday.
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    I read the NROF for Women and did the training program a couple years ago. The last time I did any free weight work was in high school, more than ten years ago. The book is EXTREMELY detailed in how to perform the exercises, and I was able to perform the moves with no instruction from external sources. I would just recommend that you read it thoroughly and take it with you when you go to the gym the first few times. I really, really enjoyed the program. I think, even though you're a total newbie, that you will have little to no difficulty understanding the exercises. Be prepared, however, to be fairly sore - but unlike P90x, where you work out for six days with one rest day regardless of your pain, you begin NROL only going twice or three times a week, and the trainer is pretty specific about not going if you are in too much pain.

Best of luck to you! I hope you enjoy adding strength training to your routine, whether you use NROL or not!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    \I don't want to be stuck at a super long plateau (weight wise) because I'm gaining muscle ... quicker than I'm losing fat. If that makes sense. How long does it generally take for the initial plateau to turn back around into fat (and weight) loss?

Don't worry as much about scale weight. It's all about body composition. If you're gaining muscle and the scale isn't moving, that would be a good thing. Have you met Staci?
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Go forth and lift, and lift heavy.