how did you get rid of the dreaded 'muffin top?'

Options
smte
smte Posts: 95 Member
I know you can't spot train certain areas, but what has worked best in getting rid of the dreaded muffin top? Is is cardio, strength or a combo of both? Can't seem to get rid of my mid section, so I'm looking for some good advice/exercise that might help me. It'd be so great to get rid of it by bathing suit season (ugh...hate that it's almost that time)!

Replies

• Nikkilynn32710
    Nikkilynn32710 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have heard that with the mid section its all about what you put in your body and cardio. Like if you eat gassy/bloated foods your gonna bloat and it will show in your mid sectiion first but if you eat lean meats/ whole grains/fruits/ and veggies it should help slim down.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    30 day shred.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I lost mine with boxing moves. Tae bo, Punching Bag and Side Bends with weights. Side punches are great. Stand with your legs apart and punch across your chest. Worked wonders for me! Good Luck!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    When I was running like 2 years ago I didn't have a muffin top... Stopped running and it's back :sad:
  • YennaBean
    YennaBean Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try getting one of those straps.. I got one from Walmart. It's Gold's Gym brand. It makes you all tight, wear it when you're working out! I've noticed a huge change in my muffin top, I no longer have to wear tight tanks under my shirts to hide it. I think the strap may having something to do with it! I hope this helps, keep up the good work!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Mine only started to go away when I boosted the cardio. But I definitely think it's a combo of weight training and cardio.

Good luck!!
  • YennaBean
    YennaBean Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    **Have. It doesn't help with spelling though. Lol
  • lorim77
    lorim77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    30 day shred.

Exactly!
  • happypath101
    Options
    I think what helps me the most is Tae Bo. I think it's the (what do you call that - diagonal) ab movements that work. I hear that carbs will settle to the abs too. I'm no experts, but focussing on high-fibre, whole-grain carbs would likely help.
  • perfect4summer
    Options
    eat healthy & do cardio(: Like the 30 day shred!
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm finding riding my bike is really helping with my muffin top. But different things might work for different people.
  • satikat
    satikat Posts: 35
    Options
    Buy bottoms (jeans/swimsuits/etc) that fit and have a flattering rise.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost my "muffin top" completely yet, but I've been working at it. I think that a combination of resistance training and cardio does best. Resistance training and HIIT cardio sessions keep burning extra calories in "after burn" much longer than steady state cardio.
    Good luck to all of us!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise?

Just a guess.

OK, sorry. Don't mean to be a smarty, but it's just that simple. Combo of cardio and strength training, along with a good diet, and it will disappear.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise?

Just a guess.

OK, sorry. Don't mean to be a smarty, but it's just that simple. Combo of cardio and strength training, along with a good diet, and it will disappear.

this
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Proper weight-training AND cardio (even if it's minimum cardio). That's, IMO, the best way. My muffin top comes and goes, but I'm the one in control.

eNortjKzUjI0tTQ2N1GyBlwwFasC2g,,87.png
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    30 day shred.

Exactly!

This is so true, I promise this will get rid of it...just level 1 is all u will need!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Buy better fitting pants. Seriously. Buy one size bigger and take them to a tailor and have them custom fitted to your size. Makes all the difference in the world.

As for losing weight in that area, your best bet is to develop your abs and lose fat by eating a calorie deficit and doing some weight training on your abs and compound lifts that help develop the whole area. Your abs won't show until you get pretty low body fat but it's good to make sure you have strong conditioned muscle underneath there so when you do get low enough, you'll see a beautiful midsection.
  • msgingerc
    msgingerc Posts: 38
    Options
    Oooh, really? I just started that yesterday! Day 2 this morning was very hard work. I am looking forward to seeing the results after Day 30!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Having lost weight in the past, I know for myself, the muffin top is the last thing to go - and even when I was at a really healthy weight, I still had a little pudge there.

Now that I need to lose weight again, and even more this time than before, I thought I'd ask a professional for help. When I asked my doctor for advice in that area, she pretty much said, "Cut down on your total carbs (which is a total of carbs + fiber + sugar) - limit or cut out a lot of white starchy foods". She told me to replace white breads with whole grain breads (which I'd already been doing but probably not faithfully at the time) and to try Dreamfields pasta which is apparently geared toward diabetics since it's made in a way that will keep your blood sugar from rising too fast as other pastas might do. A little bit of Dreamfields goes a long way, I find that it fills me up a lot faster than normal pasta.

Since I still have a long way to go before my belly decreases in size, I can't say for sure that this advice will help, but here's hoping!