Learn To Long Distance Run? Running To Lose Weight? W/ Char

Options
I like cardio as a workout regime... as in I don't do really any strength training. So I found this chart on how to learn to run long distance or basically endurance running.

http://www.randompics.net/?p=7054/

1281973659398.jpg

So, I was wondering what you guys thought of this and if there's any runners out there, if this sounds like a good idea. I do the walking at 3mph on the treadmill and I do the running at 5mph. To everyone else, I just wanted to share ;-)

Kitty Kat

Replies

• Rainforst
    Rainforst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I Kit Kat, I run every morning, on the Treadmill. My knees will not let me run outside :( I Started out that way about 3 months ago now I can run 5K in 30 mins. Every other day when I run I do sprints for 40 sec and walk for 20 sec. I can now run a sprints at level 10
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of run/walk, some days I run more and other days I walk more. Today I finally did one full mile without stopping during my lunchtime jog and repeated it again during my pm jog. I've grown to love jogging and the high that comes from it, keeps me motivated to go another day. The other thing I find odd is how I can have such a good run some days and a terrible run other days but I just go with the flow.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Kitty Kat if you follow this chart and listen to your body you will be running long distances for sure! I did something very similar when I first started and I've run a half marathon, and run/walked a full marathon so I know it works. Make sure you get some good running shoes - not cross trainers or tennis or walking shoes. They're well worth the investment and will save you lots of pain and possible injury as you progress. Have fun with it!
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    I Kit Kat, I run every morning, on the Treadmill. My knees will not let me run outside :( I Started out that way about 3 months ago now I can run 5K in 30 mins. Every other day when I run I do sprints for 40 sec and walk for 20 sec. I can now run a sprints at level 10

OMG... I relish the thought of running 5K in 30minutes! Something I've been doing, is, even after I've completed a mile, I just walk at whatever pace I want and do one more mile. So one mile via the chart and one mile via whatever I feel (which is always just walking). I'm interested in this 3 months ago story... tell me what I need to do to be running 5k in 30mins in 3 months! lol
    Options
    I do a combo of run/walk, some days I run more and other days I walk more. Today I finally did one full mile without stopping during my lunchtime jog and repeated it again during my pm jog. I've grown to love jogging and the high that comes from it, keeps me motivated to go another day. The other thing I find odd is how I can have such a good run some days and a terrible run other days but I just go with the flow.

I almost did 1 mile in 15 mins today... I did .98 in 15. So I came very close... I couldn't have been more impressed with myself. I understand what you mean by that flow. I also wonder why some days suck for running? WTF is up with that???
    Options
    Kitty Kat if you follow this chart and listen to your body you will be running long distances for sure! I did something very similar when I first started and I've run a half marathon, and run/walked a full marathon so I know it works. Make sure you get some good running shoes - not cross trainers or tennis or walking shoes. They're well worth the investment and will save you lots of pain and possible injury as you progress. Have fun with it!

What kind of listening to my body should I do? I'm pretty oblivious to what it's telling me. Or so I think... What cues should I look for? I have a brand new pair of Nike Air Max. Does this count? I know they're very comfortable and I fear wearing them out too soon. I <3 them... literally. I take great pleasure in every aspect of them! I'm just enjoying the challenge lol!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

What kind of listening to my body should I do? I'm pretty oblivious to what it's telling me. Or so I think... What cues should I look for? I have a brand new pair of Nike Air Max. Does this count? I know they're very comfortable and I fear wearing them out too soon. I <3 them... literally. I take great pleasure in every aspect of them! I'm just enjoying the challenge lol!

So jealous, i just tried on a pair of Nike Airmax and they are heaven for your feet but the price tag just about killed me. I told hubby that those sneakers are so comfy they just about run for you. Enjoy!
    Options

So jealous, i just tried on a pair of Nike Airmax and they are heaven for your feet but the price tag just about killed me. I told hubby that those sneakers are so comfy they just about run for you. Enjoy!

I love them! They make my life. I just can't figure out if I'm supposed to be wearing socks with them...
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, any combination of run/walk will eventually lead you to being able to running distances, because you'll find your endurance will increase, and you'll just naturally run longer, because you won't feel the need to walk. It does take time, but even just going out and running/walking following your body's natural cues will work.