Help...Can't have a Bowel Movement!!

Options
Looking for some advice.....and HELP!!!! Ever since starting MFP....i have been eating 1500-1800 Calories...drinking plenty of water and fluid....but for the past two m onths ...I CAN NOT go to the bathroom with out help from a laxative or stool softner!!! Sometimes i go a whole week without going....This really is worrying be...I know it's not healthy.....Does anyone else have this problem? Does any one else know what can help regulate me? I have even tired taking extra Fiber in the pack from GNC store and i still have a hard time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick:

Replies

• sullymanjohn
    Options
    You could start pounding down some brusslesprouts....I also might recommend a little more fruit and grain to possibly help ease the flow. A grapefruit juice could help possibly, but its hit and miss.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Because of how long this has been going on, and all of your other failed attempts I HIGHLY suggest going to your doctor.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Without being able to view your food diary it is hard to say if you are eating things that contribute to it. You may want to talk with your doctor because I'd imagine you don't want to take these meds long term.

Are you getting enough fiber? Too much?
  • ahersh00
    ahersh00 Posts: 85
    Options
    Coffee always gets me going! =)

That being said, this only started when you changed your diet? Using stool softeners repeatedly makes you only need to use them more... Wondering how your fruit/vege intake is?
  • kandi810
    kandi810 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try psyllium husks - I put it in applesauce but also at times put it in a smoothie. Can't taste it and it will help you when you need it.
  • caddygarcia123
    caddygarcia123 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Fresh beet juice with celery. That i found out by mistake :embarassed:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor in your case....
    But in general if I have this problem I use castor oil..It's like astro glide for your bowels :laugh:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Fresh beet juice with celery. That i found out by mistake :embarassed:

:laugh: don't ya hate that!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    2 figs and black coffee!

And please stay away from SOY protein!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Does it help if you exercise/walk?? Hope your issue is resolved soon.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    As a non-doctor's opinion, I would stop taking the stool softeners and really packing in the veggies and fruits, then go and see your doctor. I can't see your food diary, so I don't know what kinds of foods you're eating but just make sure to eat as much natural fiber as you can and exercise like crazy. I would recommend a hearty serving of lentil soup - really any bean soup, and that should get you going. Failing that, drinking hot water with lemon has worked for me in the past.
  • EdmondAl
    EdmondAl Posts: 5
    Options
    32 ounces of water and 2 teaspoons of sea salt or kosher salt, no table salt. Make sure you have about 2 or three hours where you have nowhere to go. It will clean the pipes!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    try some chlorophyl, water and an apple!!!

or carrot and beetroot juice!
  • trinawynne75052
    Options
    OMG me too
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I increased my fiber and changed to all whole grains in my diet. Lots of veggies! I was sick of taking pills.

I double the recommended fiber on MFP and I have for the last 3 weeks.....for the last 2 weeks I have gone everyday 2-3 per day! I feel great...

Try benefiber in your food and water!

If not...go see a Dr....
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Since it has been going on so long, I also suggest seeing a doctor. In the meantime, a run ALWAYS helps me clear the pipes.
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    alot of fiber will constipate you if you dont drink enough water with it
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed, psyllium husk, caffeine. Sometimes mix one with the caffeine.

Usually helps :)
  • stefkhan
    stefkhan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every so often I use Nature's Sunshine Aloe Max Lax...all natural laxative.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    Hot coffee, warm lemon water or prunes. Swear by them. Or a ton of apple juice but your gonna pay in calories.