am i set up correctly?

Options
hello. ive been at this since mid jan and MFP put me on 1200 cal. starting weight was 85kg and im currently 80.1kg. now im a sedentary because im a student. i burn at least 300cal each workout session with a mix of cardio and weights, at least 4 days a week. im losing only 500gr every two weeks (1lbs). is there anything i can be doing differently to make me lose a bit more? a loss is a loss dont get me wrong, but seeing the scale go down that small amount is disheartening. my measurements havent changed much either, maybe an inch. 99% of the time im under my limit and i eat back half of my earned cals.

am i on the wrong cal intake? anyone recommend some different exercises that might work? i dont have the money to go to the gym but im willing to try most things!

Replies

• onedayillbethin
    Options
    I would keep going with the 1200, but try to get a bit more exercise in and since you're trying to lose more, don't eat your exercise back.
    Good luck!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    click on "goals" and "change goals" then choose 1.5 or 2 pounds per week you want to lose. the calories and the rest should adjust to reflect that choice
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    the goal i have chosen does say 2lbs per week. but im only losing 1lb per 2wks.. thats where the 1200 comes from.
  • da_sammit
    Options
    anyone?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Wait...how many times do you work out a week?
  • cmusgrave0414
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. Mine is set up for me to lose 2lbs a week but I dont. My calories are set at 1380 before I exercise. I usually eat right around my goal and will eat back some calories that I earn from exercising. I know that ina typical day without exercising I burn 2300-2400 cal because I used to have a Bodybugg. So I know that the 1380 would be a right number but I dont much either. I dont get it........hopefully some people will have some really good suggestions for you to use so that I can apply them as well.
  • da_sammit
    Options
    usually 4-5 days. i travel a lot on the wkends and it changes. if i dont travel its more like 5-6. if i do travel its usually 4-5.
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I posted a really similar thread this morning but i have been reading a lot of stuff on here about increasing your calories to loose more ...especially if you don’t have too much to go? wish i could be of more help but dont have a great understanding myself yet!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drop your calories, they are already pretty low for your weight. (When I started at around 92kg I was eating about 1600 cals plus exercise cals - that was for a setting of "lose 1/12 pound per week" but I lost faster than that initially).

Keep doing what you're doing, give it more time. I know its frustrating to lose weight slowly, but you've done really well so far - keep it up!
  • da_sammit
    Options
    oh no! i didnt want to DROP them!!! i was seeing wether it was worth raising them!! to maybe 1380 or something..
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have mine set for maintenance. Therefore I know exactly what my deficit is at the end of the day. It makes more sense to me.

Oh and it allows me to have a "maintenance" day once a week. Which I desperately need every now and then.
  • bluefairy1
    bluefairy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing great! Although if you are set to low you might be holding onto extra body fat just to survive the day. Also take a look at the quality of food you eat as well as quantity. Keep in mind Im not an expert just a fellow Fitness pal :-)
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Raise them up a couple hundred. I had mine low too and then when I ate more I started losing weight. At least try. Won't hurt anything.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    set your goal to lose 1lb a week, eat the extra cals
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    usually 4-5 days. i travel a lot on the wkends and it changes. if i dont travel its more like 5-6. if i do travel its usually 4-5.

you arent sedentary.

You are moderately active.

Redo your numbers on another website like Fat to Fit tools and start over on higher calories.
    Check my page for the link.
  • da_sammit
    Options
    when im not working out, im sitting down.. i thought that would make me sedentary??

ive upped cals to 1380 and ill see how that goes for a month or two.. if i need to go higher, than i will.

ive decided to focus some more on strength and toning, rather than limit all my exercise just to cardio..
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    when im not working out, im sitting down.. i thought that would make me sedentary??

ive upped cals to 1380 and ill see how that goes for a month or two.. if i need to go higher, than i will.

ive decided to focus some more on strength and toning, rather than limit all my exercise just to cardio..

this is a point of confusion on here... i think mfp needs to be more specific... lightly active is working out a little bit, moderately is i think 3-5 times a week, etc... if you look up on other websites they figure exercise into their calculations. for a long time i thought i was sedentery too because i have a desk job but turns out i'm not because i work out 5 times a week. i had no idea! so i adjusted my calories up and i lost more weight that way! turns out iw as slowing my metabolism down by not eating enough.