Learn To Long Distance Run? Running To Lose Weight? W/ Chart

Options
I like cardio as a workout regime... as in I don't do really any strength training. So I found this chart on how to learn to run long distance or basically endurance running.

http://www.randompics.net/?p=7054/

1281973659398.jpg

So, I was wondering what you guys thought of this and if there's any runners out there, if this sounds like a good idea. I do the walking at 3mph on the treadmill and I do the running at 5mph. To everyone else, I just wanted to share ;-)

Kitty Kat

Replies

• annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It looks okay. Have you seen the couch to 5K program? it's similar...alternates walking/running. I run long distances--heading toward my third half marathon--but still walk some. Grab a Jeff Galloway book. He's an advocate of it.
  • purplechic
    purplechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Couh to 5K is the way to do it and it's very similar to the running chart. And don't feel worried about having to repeat weeks (I've spent more than a few weeks on the same "week" to get my fitness up so that I can progress to the following week).

3mph walking and 5mph running sounds like a good start as well. Once again, don't be afraid to slow it down if you feel like 5mph is too fast. The aim is to be able to run 30 mins non-stop, running 5k in 30 mins should be a secondary goal (in my opinion). Speed can be built up later once you get a good running base.

I'm a proud Couch to 5k graduate! Did it 2 1/2 years ago and got bitten by the running bug!
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    Couh to 5K is the way to do it and it's very similar to the running chart. And don't feel worried about having to repeat weeks (I've spent more than a few weeks on the same "week" to get my fitness up so that I can progress to the following week).

3mph walking and 5mph running sounds like a good start as well. Once again, don't be afraid to slow it down if you feel like 5mph is too fast. The aim is to be able to run 30 mins non-stop, running 5k in 30 mins should be a secondary goal (in my opinion). Speed can be built up later once you get a good running base.

I'm a proud Couch to 5k graduate! Did it 2 1/2 years ago and got bitten by the running bug!

I actually thought about whether or not I'd have to repeat a week... and I loathe the thought. So that you for reassuring me. I'm the kind of person who gets upset with myself if I don't immediately pick up something and succeed. So basically, I'm a pain in the *kitten*. ;-) I was doing my running at 4.8, so I just rounded it out at 5mph. It was a lot tougher on me to run at that speed today though. I was way more winded. So it's good to also realize I don't need to be a speed demon to be accomplishing something. Although, I'm not sure of standard paces, so I don't even know if 3mph and 5mph are fast... or normal. I do know... that they are not freaking slow... or at least they sure as hell don't feel like it... Do you know?
  • purplechic
    purplechic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd say pick a speed that you will feel comfortable with to run for 20-30 minutes. When I trained for my first half marathon, the best advice I got was to "run what you think is easy, then slow it down by 20%".

Like I said, what you'd really want to achieve with the program is to be able to run without stopping for 30 mins and then slowly build your speed up.

Re: speeds... In my opinion, anything faster than sitting on a couch is speedy! :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Looks like C25K in a visual format - it's a nice layout.
    Don't overthink it, just get started, I did (in January last year) and haven't looked back.

And take to heart the advice to run slowly. It means you can get minutes and miles into your legs, speed will come later.

And if you feel as though you need to repeat a week, then do it, there is no running police who will hunt you down and demand that you progress immeidately to the next week - it's much more important to go at a pace that lets you develop your skills safely and doesn't risk injury.
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I recently started C25K again, and at week 7 I've quit, the reason why is I just ran the full 5Km on day on the treadmill, so I did it, the biggest block for me was the one between my ears :laugh:

I've now taken it off the treadmill and outside, I figured out a course near my house that is safe to run (wide sidewalks) and I rode it on my bicycle with a very accurate cycling computer to get my actual 5Km distance. I've now run that course 4 times, and each time it is getting easier and I'm getting faster. Yes it is hard work, yes my legs HATE me right now, but I have not felt so fit in YEARS.

I love saying to my wife "I'm going get a run in" and then running 5 Km!

Just keep at it, slow down to the point where you can finish a run, then slowly increase your pace. I'm now running at 9 Km/h or about 5.6 Mph, not fast, not slow. By the summer time I hope to up that to 10 Km/h or about 6.2 Mph, should be able to do it.

Good luck!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This is the C25K program. I did it a couple of years back and it got me running again. I'm not in love with running at all - never was - but it helps me maintain some level of fitness, so I run like twice a week for 40-45 minutes. My average speed is about 5.2 mph and that includes some walking intervals. My goal for 2012 is to be able to run consistently 5K in 30 mins.
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    love this i will probably have to print it off though! x
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Hi, I am on week 5 of C25K. I love it and it's simple, I can just put on my trainers and head out the front door. Don't have time (or inclination any more) for the gym. The only struggle i am having is that it makes me want to eat more so I am trying to work out a way to get my eating right so that I am not gaining weight! Ultimately, I want to get to a point where I can run 3 or 4 times a week to maintain my weight once I reach goal. Friend me if you like, I really enjoy comparing notes with other peeps doing the same as me.
    Options
    I'd say pick a speed that you will feel comfortable with to run for 20-30 minutes. When I trained for my first half marathon, the best advice I got was to "run what you think is easy, then slow it down by 20%".

Like I said, what you'd really want to achieve with the program is to be able to run without stopping for 30 mins and then slowly build your speed up.

Re: speeds... In my opinion, anything faster than sitting on a couch is speedy! :)

Okay... yea, cause yesterday, I was breathless... legitimately. So maybe I'll scale back the pace a bit. The speed I did yesterday made me think that I was probably going to have to repeat the week. SO in retrospect, it clearly wasn't too comfortable. I do like walking at 3.0, so maybe I'll just push my running back to 4.0 or something of that sort? How should I build speed? I'm afraid I'll never speed up if I don' start that way?
    Options
    Looks like C25K in a visual format - it's a nice layout.
    Don't overthink it, just get started, I did (in January last year) and haven't looked back.

And take to heart the advice to run slowly. It means you can get minutes and miles into your legs, speed will come later.

And if you feel as though you need to repeat a week, then do it, there is no running police who will hunt you down and demand that you progress immeidately to the next week - it's much more important to go at a pace that lets you develop your skills safely and doesn't risk injury.

haha! The running police are inside my head! Yea, I finished my mile yesterday in 15 minutes, but I was wore the hell out... so I also didn't continue to do the running thing for the last five minutes... I just walked another 20mins. I was sooo wore out I never picked my speed back up. I was exhausted. I will try to take my stupid head out of the equation. Thanks for the advice!!!
    Options
    I recently started C25K again, and at week 7 I've quit, the reason why is I just ran the full 5Km on day on the treadmill, so I did it, the biggest block for me was the one between my ears :laugh:

I've now taken it off the treadmill and outside, I figured out a course near my house that is safe to run (wide sidewalks) and I rode it on my bicycle with a very accurate cycling computer to get my actual 5Km distance. I've now run that course 4 times, and each time it is getting easier and I'm getting faster. Yes it is hard work, yes my legs HATE me right now, but I have not felt so fit in YEARS.

Just keep at it, slow down to the point where you can finish a run, then slowly increase your pace. I'm now running at 9 Km/h or about 5.6 Mph, not fast, not slow. By the summer time I hope to up that to 10 Km/h or about 6.2 Mph, should be able to do it.

Good luck!

My big head has been a problem when it comes to speed. It's like I have to see a certain speed or I can't appreciate what I'm already putting my body through. I'd die to run outside!!!! OMG that's one of my goals is to run the local rail trail. Okay, I should definitely slow down... if you're running at 5.6mph as a champ, and I'm running at 5mph for my intervals in the second day... I'm overextending myself! This makes me feel much better! Thank you! How should I build speed? I'm afraid I'll never speed up if I don' start that way?
    Options
    love this i will probably have to print it off though! x

It's really hard to print... ain't gonna lie. If you figure out how to get the entire chart together... fill me in!
    Options
    This is the C25K program. I did it a couple of years back and it got me running again. I'm not in love with running at all - never was - but it helps me maintain some level of fitness, so I run like twice a week for 40-45 minutes. My average speed is about 5.2 mph and that includes some walking intervals. My goal for 2012 is to be able to run consistently 5K in 30 mins.

I'm very excited to do a 5k and feel about it the way I do when I finish a mile! lol
    Options
    Hi, I am on week 5 of C25K. I love it and it's simple, I can just put on my trainers and head out the front door. Don't have time (or inclination any more) for the gym. The only struggle i am having is that it makes me want to eat more so I am trying to work out a way to get my eating right so that I am not gaining weight! Ultimately, I want to get to a point where I can run 3 or 4 times a week to maintain my weight once I reach goal. Friend me if you like, I really enjoy comparing notes with other peeps doing the same as me.

Don't worry about eating more. Your metabolism is in high gear. Just make sure you calorie count. If I go over by 100 calories, I don't pinch myself too much. If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you allowed a day? Don't forget to eat your running calories btw!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Pure cardio will sabotage you after a while just be aware. I was running upwards of 8-10 miles per run last fall and the scale wasn't budging. Once I started putting strength training back into my workouts, the pounds began moving again.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    C25K! If you have an iPhone or Android you can download an app that will give you audible queues to walk/run while still allowing you to play music.

Repeat weeks as necessary and don't go to fast. If 4.8 feels right then go with that. You will get faster over time if you keep running. The goal of the program is to just get you started building your base which means getting your body used to the idea of running.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Good luck!

My big head has been a problem when it comes to speed. It's like I have to see a certain speed or I can't appreciate what I'm already putting my body through. I'd die to run outside!!!! OMG that's one of my goals is to run the local rail trail. Okay, I should definitely slow down... if you're running at 5.6mph as a champ, and I'm running at 5mph for my intervals in the second day... I'm overextending myself! This makes me feel much better! Thank you! How should I build speed? I'm afraid I'll never speed up if I don' start that way?

When I started running two years ago, my "run" was at 4.0 and then I built up to a 4.5 run. I was able to do that for 4 miles at once. That was all on my own with the treadmill. Then last summer I did the C25K and did the runs at 5.0... won't lie there were times with the long (20+ minutes) that I had to slow down at th end, but now I can run faster and longer than before. Use this as a starting point that makes you work but doesn kill you. That guide or C25K should help you learn to love/like running :wink:
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump- i can't wait to start C25K. This post has given me so much inspiration.
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This is the same as C25k. If you have a smartphone you can download this as an app for free. I completed this program last Thursday, March 8th, and ran a 5k race on Saturday. It's definitely doable. Just take your time, don't get discouraged, and it's okay if you feel the need to repeat a week. Good luck to you :flowerforyou: