Losing 40 lbs in 3 months, is it okay?

Options
I started using MFP last December 2011. My weight back then was 185lbs. As of March 13, my current weight is 145lbs. I usually eat at around 800-1000 cal/day. I jog 3-5 times a week 30 mins a day. Is my weight loss normal? or am I eating too few calories? thanks! :)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you are eating WAY too few calories. And pretty soon your weight loss will decline or stop altogether because of it.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating too few calories as well. Have you used the tools to determine how many calories a day you should be consuming?
  • ucalegon
    ucalegon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can eat as few calories as you'd like -- contrary to what MFP says, starvation mode does not actually exist. HOWEVER this weight lost is quick and drastic and you will have a hard time living this way as a lifestyle in the future, which is to say, you may have difficulty maintaining this weight loss.

Maybe you ought to slow it down a bit, up your caloric intake to a little bit under your BMR and chill out. Focus on losing weight in a controlled manner, and focus on maintaining the weight loss you've already managed. If you think losing the weight was hard, you'll be surprised by how much harder maintaining that weight loss is.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe you ought to slow it down a bit, up your caloric intake to a little bit under your BMR and chill out. Focus on losing weight in a controlled manner, and focus on maintaining the weight loss you've already managed. If you think losing the weight was hard, you'll be surprised by how much harder maintaining that weight loss is.

Agreed!!
  • keloman
    keloman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys!
  • keloman
    Options
    I thought eating fewer calories is better.
  • cassieko
    cassieko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have found that most people who drop weight this fast with the extreme calorie restriction lose muscle mass as well... that can end up slowing down your basal metabolism in the long run (which is where "starvation mode" comes from)
  • keloman
    Options
    Is it too late for me to increase my calorie intake per day?
  • keloman
    Options
    Please give me tips on what should I do. Thanks! :)