Stunned expressions regarding my weight loss...

Options
jcstanton
jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
So, I went to my future sister in law's bridal shower on Sunday afternoon (my brother Sam's fiance, Ashley). Her friends and family haven't seen me since Sam and Ashley's engagement party last spring. I've lost 45lbs and about 3 dress sizes since then. Everyone of them did a double take when they saw me. All afternoon everyone kept saying things like, "Wow! You've really lost some weight! You look great! How much have you lost?" It felt soooo good to get that reaction from people who don't really know me all that well, and who haven't seen me in a year. The whole experience really validated all of the hard work I have put into myself, and it really reiterated to me how much my body has changed in the last year. There's something more valid about getting that kind of response from near strangers. Not that I don't appreciate the kind words and encouragement from my friends and family, and I certainly don't doubt their sincerity. However, it's just that they're my friends and family, they love me, they see me on a regular basis, and I tend to feel like they have rose colored glasses on when it comes to the way I look. When a casual aquaintance who hasn't seen you in a year nearly drops their jaw to the floor, you KNOW it's a genuine, honest reaction. Just makes me want to work that much harder to reach my goal. 45ish pounds down, only 120ish to go! :happy: :drinker:

Replies

• Jyster
    Jyster Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I like this.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! =) What a great story !!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Gratz and I agree, nothing like startling folks to make you realize you really have changed.
  • karenx30
    karenx30 Posts: 90
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss AND on your great attitude. Keep up the hard work! Its paying off!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It reminds me of one time a number of years ago when I had lost weight and I went to my brother's house for a party with a bunch of his friends. One of them didn't even recognize me- thought my brother had two sisters!!
  • jcstanton
    Options
    I like this.

MEEE TOOOO!!!! :wink: :happy:
  • Nanee24
    Nanee24 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! Congrats on the weight loss! Keep that positive attitude up!
  • jcstanton
    Options
    That's awesome! It reminds me of one time a number of years ago when I had lost weight and I went to my brother's house for a party with a bunch of his friends. One of them didn't even recognize me- thought my brother had two sisters!!

Hahaha! Love that! That's the kind of reaction I'm looking forward to getting in a year or so. :happy:
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Nicely put and well done!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Marvelous, congratulations! Feels so good doesn't it. Keep at it, you can do it.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    That is so great. I cannot wait to make some jaws drop!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is lovely. Things like this keep you going, don't they? :smile:
  • onewhodiets
    onewhodiets Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! I know what you mean. Good luck in your quest.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I can only imagine how you feel! Cant wait to see my grandparents in the summer, last summer they said about my son "I hope he has is daddys genes.." : /
  • jcstanton
    Options
    That is awesome! I can only imagine how you feel! Cant wait to see my grandparents in the summer, last summer they said about my son "I hope he has is daddys genes.." : /

Awww...I'm sorry they said that to you. That's awful! There's a difference between telling someone the truth they need to hear, and being downright cruel. That was just mean. I hope they feel really foolish when they see your success. :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

& it's also really encouraging to me because you took it slow. Encouraging to see where I can be later this year.

GREAT JOB by the way!!!!!!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    That's so great - you are completely right, too. When people who love you say nice things, we do tend to think "They're just being nice." The confirmation you got by dropping a few jaws is absolutely priceless, and should put a smile on your face whenever you're sweating through your next workout and keep you from thinking about letting up. Well done!
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    bravo, nice story!! good motivation
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Love your story, thanks for sharing. And WTG for the hard work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!