Help with Garmin Forerunner 305 HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a heart rate monitor that tracks calories burnt and also measures out my runs so I am really interested in what everyone thinks is the best product out there for that? I mainly run on a treadmill and do dvds but on the rare occasion when I can I love to run outside and would like something that has gps. What is everyones suggestion?
  • uoduck95
    uoduck95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info, I've been having the same issue. Now I can stop reading, researching and pushing buttons. :( Would really like to know how many calories I actually burn during my Body Pump class so I guess I'll just try calculating using the site that was suggested here. Thanks and good luck all.
  • maggiespinnergirl
    Options
    thank you all for your info on the Garmin 305 and calorie count! I too did an awesome Turbo Fire workout, and to my suprise, I found my HRM wrote 0 calorie burned! what a disapointment for such an expensive gadget... :S
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't know why Garmin and Polar doesn't just unite and give us one good workout product. It's really rediculous to have to have one for running and the other for cross training to do essentially the same thing. OR why Garmin can't come up with some formula to add to their system to be able to log non running activity for loyal customers. Grrrr.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't know why Garmin and Polar doesn't just unite and give us one good workout product. It's really rediculous to have to have one for running and the other for cross training to do essentially the same thing. OR why Garmin can't come up with some formula to add to their system to be able to log non running activity for loyal customers. Grrrr.

I think they are getting better. I use my Garmin Forerunner 310XT for running and indoor cardio & strength training. Polar has a similar product.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    This: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtwDl0JVRGz1dDFEYndqQnlCckhyT09oNGtTVVdQbEE#gid=14

"Garmin" tab at the bottom. It will translate your Garmin data to Polar-like results. I think.
  • JoanB5
    Options
    Okay, I've still not quite figured out the spreadsheet listed above, maybe someone will explain it to me sometime.

Today, I turned off the GPS on the FR 305 and tried something I saw DC Rainmaker's girlfriend (now, wife, I think) does. She puts on the 305 with cheststrap for her circuit training, uses the average heartrate to get a decent calorie count. You can input that into SportsTracks free downloadable program. I'm not sure if you can modify info in Garmin Connect yet. I'm still learning the information dissection programs. I think probably not according to some of Rainmaker's comments about Garmin Connect (not as editable).

Worked great. I learned today that most programs calculate gross calories rather than net, as did the web site I used, so I clicked a link to translate calories to net. To find out how to translate average heart-rate to calories, and then get from gross to net, go here: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx