What can/should I expect from a personal trainer?

Options
I am considering hiring a personal trainer. I have 5 more pounds I want to lose; just lost my first 10. My desire is to obtain that athletic, fit looking body. Just wondering what I should expect from a personal trainer, any tips or suggestions on how I should find the right person.

I have never worked with a trainer before so I do not know what I can or should expect from such an experience and want to learn from others experience and mistakes.

Thanks in advance; everyone out here is really great on how they pull together to offer assistance and advice. I LOVE this site!!!!!

Replies

• ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd say try out a few sessions, then decide. It all depends on the individual and what types of things motivate you. For me, it'd be a waste of money. I'd have more luck just securing a workout buddy.

Awesome job on those first 10lbs :)
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    I too would like some ideas on this please!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Here's is my experience(and my mistakes!).

I've gone through three personal trainers in the last year. Each have been different and wonderful in their own ways.

First one: Very new off the chopping block. Thought that he knew everything and was more concerned with making money and looking good for the ladies, then he ever was with training. Pretty much all that happened with him was I would show up, we would do our workout, set up the next session and I would leave. He touched on nutrition and diet maybe once or twice, but we never really talked about in depth. I'm the one that was stuck trying to figure out how to lose this weight. He also never really wanted me to learn... I felt like he wanted me to be dependent on him so I would keep coming back and keep spending money. No surprise that he is now fired from the gym.

Second one: Very good trainer and I was sad to see him get promoted to manager. He did all the things my first trainer neglected to do.. LIke telling me about supplements, working with me on my diet, taking my measurements/weight, getting me cardio programs/set up on my gyms calorie counting and strength system, etc. He also had a set plan when I worked out and made sure to document everything.. and I knew that he wasn't there just to screw around and get my money. He legit wanted to see me succeed.

Third one: Is a lot like number two, but in his own way. He's been in the business for 5 years, going for his second certification and is just all around knowledgeable. He's seen what works/what doesn't, and doesn't screw around. You tell him what you want and he will do exactly as you want.. which is nice. Haven't been working with him for too long, but I can say that I will def. keep him around.

Over all, just look for someone that is certified and that you personally mesh with. If they don't listen or try to force you into something, then kick them out the door and try another. Ask if you can see them train for a session with a different client to see how they do or ask if you can talk to a client/former client and see what their perspective is. Most good trainers will allow you to do this.
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer 15 weeks ago, and it is the BEST thing I have done for myself in a long time.

Advice... They should offer an introductory package of some sort in order for you to see whether you get on with each other. My trainer never gets cranky, yells or anything, I would just tell him where to go. He never needs to say much more than come on Emma, and I keep working hard. This suits me. I have friends who love the yelling and boot camp type experience. So, first of all try them out.

I think deciding on a male or female trainer is really important. I never even considered a female, I have a friend who would never even consider a male. This may not matter to some people. but for me it was part of the decision.

The other thing to consider is what they "train" you in. My trainer looks at food, exercise and rest (sleep, relaxation and stress etc). Again, the same friend, her trainer only does exercise and she is now finding she needs help with food (I can't convince her to try MFP!!). So think about what you want and search for that.

Be sure to check out their qualifications. Fitness is a booming industry and I imagine there are plenty of dodgy people out there, which goes back to the introductory package for me - check they are safe and know what they are doing.

Do you want to be in a gym, workout in a park or somewhere private. I go to a private place which again I love, just me and my trainer and no one else to worry about. A trainer in a gym means you can go to the gym at other times. You may want to be in a park somewhere where the scenery can change all the time.

Ummm... that seems like a lot! I hope it helps. As I have said already, I go to my trainer twice a week for 45 minutes and it is my favourite time of the week. I am so much fitter, have lost 13 kilos in 14 weeks (MFP has had a lot to do with this too) and cannot believe what I am doing each week with him. I cannot say often enough what a brilliant decision it was for me. I could rave all day.

Good luck with your decision.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Make your goals very specific, and preferably have 1 or 2 that is directly related to something to do with fitness. If you don't have any goals like the latter, then just make sure you know what kind of workout you're looking for and insist on that (I'm bad at doing this myself honestly).
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Make sure you know what YOU want. What kind of results you are expecting from the workouts. If you are looking to lose some fat and gain some muscle, make sure the trainer you hire is on board with that. There are some trainers out there that don't believe that women should lift weights, or if they do, they should be very light. They are big on cardio. Make your expectations clear to them. Make sure you have a meeting before the first session to get a feel for them. Most trainers will offer a free intro session to make sure your styles will mesh.

I think the biggest factor is to just know what you want and what you expect from a trainer, and meet with a couple to see which one fits in your life better.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Here's is my experience(and my mistakes!).

I've gone through three personal trainers in the last year. Each have been different and wonderful in their own ways.

First one: Very new off the chopping block. Thought that he knew everything and was more concerned with making money and looking good for the ladies, then he ever was with training. Pretty much all that happened with him was I would show up, we would do our workout, set up the next session and I would leave. He touched on nutrition and diet maybe once or twice, but we never really talked about in depth. I'm the one that was stuck trying to figure out how to lose this weight. He also never really wanted me to learn... I felt like he wanted me to be dependent on him so I would keep coming back and keep spending money. No surprise that he is now fired from the gym.

I am studying CPT atm, and unless someone has actually done separate quals in nutrition I was told we are not allowed to give diet advice ...
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd personal trainer in the last year. I told my 1st trainer what I wanted to get out of the lessons, but our work outs were not very well structured so I stopped using them. I chose my 2nd trainer by watching them in the gym and finding out their specialties. My new trainer knows exactly what I want and has been structuring our work outs accordingly and has been very good on advising me on diet and recovery.

I would recommend that you identify likely trainers, have a chat with them and maybe have one work out, and then make your decision. If it doesn't work out, move on. Remember that this is your time and money and they need to compete for your business.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I got to a gym that has trainers that are based in the gym, but you pay them separately to my gym fees.

I watch the trainers working out other people to decide if I'm interested. There is one trainer who I've yet to see do anything other than cardio with her clients. I dont need a trainer to talk to me while I'm on the treadmill, I would never hire her.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It can be tricky, since you may not have the knowledge to evaluate the trainer's expertise, but here are some general guidelines:

1. A trainer should spend some time discussing your goals, background, medical history, physical issues, etc.

2. A trainer should design a program based on your goals and abilities--before you even start, the trainer should be able to give you an overall "game plan" of what types of exercises he/she is going to use, a general idea of expected progression, a list of program goals and the specific exercises, or exercise strategy he/she will utilize to achieve those goals/objectives.

3. The trainer should be able to describe how each exercise or each workout fits into the overall plan described in #2.

4. The trainer should pay attention to you during the workout. That means no checking the phone or texting, or standing with a clipboard just counting reps. He/She should be checking form, watching for details, pushing you when you need to be pushed, but also backing off when necessary as well.

5. The trainer should inquire at the beginning of the session how you felt after the last one, making sure there were no adverse effects.

6. The trainer should be punctual and mange the time appropriately to complete all the goals of the session. He/she should keep a record of your workouts.

7. The issue of nutrition is a tricky one. Many clients expect to get dietary advice from their trainers, however, in most cases, giving specific dietary plans/recommending supplements, etc, is either unethical professionally or against the law for trainers. Most trainers are not qualified to give dietary advice. It is interesting that a previous comment used the fact that a trainer recommended supplements as a complement. I would consider any trainer who recommended supplements to be unethical and immediately disqualified from consideration. Trainers are not qualified to perform dietary counseling unless they are registered, licensed dietitians. They can talk in general about calories and macronutrient ratios, provide background knowledge about various diet plans/fads that appear in the popular media, but they should not prescribe supplements or make individual diet plans.

8. I wish I could say that there are specific certifications that would guarantee a quality trainer, but I can't. In general, someone with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in exercise will be better qualified. The same can be said for someone with a certification from NSCA, ACSM, NASM, or ACE. Those are probably the most respected certs.

Good luck.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    GREAT Question! Today I will have my first session with a trainer. My thought was just to work with her to get a routine with a goal of tightening up my saggy stomach and some cardio. I have been doing an hour's worth of strength training three to four times a week in the gym and thirty minutes of cardio. Now I have a better idea of what a trainer can do and what to look for.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've been working out with a trainer 3-4 times a week since Dec 1st. I'm on my second one now as the first moved to a different job. My current trainer is really, really good. He pushes me hard since he knows I love to work and lift heavy. He's always switching things up enough so that I don't get bored, like a new variation on a deadlift or a different finishing exercise. I know I'm making more progress with him than without because although I work hard on my own, I can't spot myself. He helps me get those last few reps that I wouldn't be able to on my own, makes sure I'm not resting too much and challenging me to go farther.

Since Dec 1st, I've gained 4 pounds of muscle, lost over 4% bodyfat and lost inches everywhere. Despite having only lost about 8 pounds according to the scale (which doesn't matter as much to me as it used to), I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn since I was 15-20 pounds lighter. Gotta love the weights!

If you've never worked out with a personal trainer, try it. It's definitely like a marriage - you have to be able to communicate with them and feel like you're getting as much as you're putting in. Your mom could stand there and talk to you. You want someone who's going to take you to the next level.
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I echo what others have said about finding one that will match the style you respond to (ie, some people like positive reinforcement, others like negative). I'd also add to not be afraid to tell them exactly what you are looking for - so if you want to focus on certain things like being able to run faster or do more push ups, they'll work with you on that. Definitely try them out for a session or two if you can and if you don't think it's clicking switch!
    I'm still working with the personal trainer I got 10 months ago as I love him and have seen great results. Good luck-
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer 15 weeks ago, and it is the BEST thing I have done for myself in a long time.

Advice... They should offer an introductory package of some sort in order for you to see whether you get on with each other. My trainer never gets cranky, yells or anything, I would just tell him where to go. He never needs to say much more than come on Emma, and I keep working hard. This suits me. I have friends who love the yelling and boot camp type experience. So, first of all try them out.

I think deciding on a male or female trainer is really important. I never even considered a female, I have a friend who would never even consider a male. This may not matter to some people. but for me it was part of the decision.

The other thing to consider is what they "train" you in. My trainer looks at food, exercise and rest (sleep, relaxation and stress etc). Again, the same friend, her trainer only does exercise and she is now finding she needs help with food (I can't convince her to try MFP!!). So think about what you want and search for that.

Be sure to check out their qualifications. Fitness is a booming industry and I imagine there are plenty of dodgy people out there, which goes back to the introductory package for me - check they are safe and know what they are doing.

Do you want to be in a gym, workout in a park or somewhere private. I go to a private place which again I love, just me and my trainer and no one else to worry about. A trainer in a gym means you can go to the gym at other times. You may want to be in a park somewhere where the scenery can change all the time.

Ummm... that seems like a lot! I hope it helps. As I have said already, I go to my trainer twice a week for 45 minutes and it is my favourite time of the week. I am so much fitter, have lost 13 kilos in 14 weeks (MFP has had a lot to do with this too) and cannot believe what I am doing each week with him. I cannot say often enough what a brilliant decision it was for me. I could rave all day.

Good luck with your decision.

All of this is what I would have said. I also have a male trainer that I love and I love my results thus far!!
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Most things have been said in previous posts. Sorry if I just repeat and not add new ideas...

My experience with my personal trainer:
    - There has to be the right chemistry going on: you have to get along, you have to have confidence, because soon enough he/she will know you better than you might like ;-)
    - A discussion is needed before starting any workout at all, so that they know what you want, where you are coming from, health issues, etc
    - Qualification: the more the better!
    - They should always teach you proper form, check what you do and how you do it, and correct you if you're not doing it well.
    - They should be able to push you further than you actually think you could go.
    - A good personal trainer is like a psychotherapist: working on your body, and challenging your mind too (like dragging you to the full mirror room or the muscle room, even if you feel VERY uncomfortable being there)
    - They listen to you and offer a service you'd like to have, not one they'd like to sell.
    - They watch you close and actually see when you are changing, and pay compliments for it.

I love my personal trainer, work out with him for 14 months now, and still not tired about it. And the results are great :-)
    - Before every session, they need to ask how you are, and be able to change their prepared session if needed.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I started working with my trainer for knee rehab having gotten different advice from her and watching her work others out in the gym. She is a CPT with a nursing background so she knows what I need to do.

1. I identified the areas that needed work and/or strengthening and she tailors the workouts around that, varying them from session to session to target different issues.

2. She has taught me to believe that my body can do many things I didn't think possible and is always encouraging while pushing me to that extra burn.

3. She has taught me many new and different exercises so that I can do my own workouts inbetween sessions with her.

Our gym has a neanderthal trainer - NEVER, a very quiet encouraging male trainer - just right for my hubby, and a few others plus my gal who is also the gym's gm. find what works for you.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I'd say a trainer should be first and foremost DEPENDABLE. The first one I had ran off to Vegas for 3 months. True story. I also like enthusiasm and a good "bench-side manner" (so to speak) in addition to having the expertise and knowing what they're doing. Also, it was important for me personally to get someone who would listen to me and my goals. I told my trainer I was weight lifting, but he was insistent on working core and doing exercises that use my own body weight. I do both. This is just my experience. I've found having a good trainer to be worth every penny. Good luck.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Should expect (PT should provide)

- An exercise plan which works to achieve your particular goal
    - Nutritional/supplementation advise
    - Good communication

Not to expect

- Miracles (everything is up to you, if you are committed and determined to follow every SINGLE step of the program)
    - He can't predict (you can't ask him how long it will take her to loose a certain amount of fat)
    - He's not a sculptor (you might be loosing weight, however, you don't like your body construct. Well, things that comes from the genes are beyond any PT)

There are more to add in both cases, but I just wanted to mention those which I think are somehow important to know first.