Encouraging teens

Options
I have an eighteen year old daughter who is becoming quite heavy. I have tried to get her involved with me in exercising but she wants nothing to do with it. I have been told by friends that girls this age just don't want to spend time with their moms. Well, I don't think I totally agree with that but, I am having trouble getting her to just want to exercise. She really doesn't have an unhealthy diet...eats very little meats and loves vegetables. Her problem is that she doesn't want to move !!!! She just wants to sit around watching TV or messaging her friends online.

Yes, she is technically an adult, but she does live with me and is still in high school. I have some control. Just not when it comes to getting her active. Any advice?

(One thing I am going to do is encourage her to make herself an account here at MFP)

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Maybe try sparkteens.com instead. But don't force it on her.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My grandparents took the car keys away so if I wanted to go to the mall (~2 miles) I had to walk or bike it.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sparkteens sounds good. This is a hard subject. I've got an 11 year old who is heavy. She doesn't want to move, but also its a battle to stop her boredom eating. Ill check back for responses! X
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Watch that encouraging her to get an account isnt read by her as you saying "you're getting too big"

How about a fun console game, like wii sports/fitness...if she sees you having fun with it she might feel inclined to join in. Its not exercise, its fun when its like that. There are lots of different consoles and fitness based games to choose from, if you have a console ask on here for recommendations
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    Both my teen daughters, who are younger than yours, are creeping into the "heavy" stages. It worries me. One is more open to being active than the other, but mostly, they both want to loll around with their electronics. Sometimes they will swim with friends, but only for an hour or so, and they aren't into exercise machines or anything else active. They both like vegetables and will eat chicken, seafood, etc. but they also overeat. I don't want to make them feel bad about themselves, so I try to gently encourage them to exercise with me or cut down on pasta...that kind of thing. So far, I've not been real successful and it worries me, especially when I hear them call themselves fat and see them still eating too much.

Thanks for starting this thread. I would love to hear other thoughts.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    {This is such a side note, but}:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :grumble: :explode: I am almost 21 and have and will not for a long time call myself grown to my parents. Legally I am an adult, I pay some of my own little bills, but mainly my parents support me, don't relinquish control based on an arbitrary claim of adulthood.

Now that that's taken care of, you can have influence b/c my mom did on me. She told me I was getting too heavy. However; it caught me off guard b/c she NEVER, nor did anyone in my family have an ill word to say about my weight. She was nice about it, but I weighed myself at 300pounds like the following day, and it was a huge(haha, get it:tongue: ) slap in the face. So I started to change.

Since she likes technology, suggesting MFP would be great, and assuming she's getting ready for college/work life or whatever, maybe she can encourage her friends to join MFP together to make it an exciting start to their new lives away from high school.

Start by making new healthy recipes, get her interested. Exercise, invite her, but if she says no, don't make a big deal about it. Strange but people are more willing to go if they feel they have an option and aren't being begged.

Good Luck. :flowerforyou:
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As the people who earn the money in the households and bring in the groceries every week you need to make sure you're not giving them unhealthy food and snacks. When I was younger and my mum was worried I was getting pudgy she just stopped buying crisps and snacks and started cooking healither options. I didn't want to spend what little money I had on food when my mum still provided enough for me to live on and I'd rather spend it going out with my friends so I just made do. Sure I may have had the odd hissy fit over not getting what I wanted but my mum stayed firm and in the end I just dealt with it.

We also never had the option of a car, so if we wanted to get anywhere it was walk it or bus it. There was no bus stop right outside my house so I had to walk somewhere at least!

I also recommend finding some exercise that is also fun, like a dance class or a zumba class. They might be more inclined to go if it's seen less as hard work and more has having a laugh.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My sister is 20 but has been heavy since high school. The BIGGEST MISTAKE you can make is encouraging her to lose weight or "get active." My mom was pretty harsh with my sister and now she is a private, compulsive binge eater. She hasn't lost any weight, she's gotten much bigger because eating is so shameful for her.

Limit use of electronics, ask her to start walking the dog when she gets home from school, and prepare healthy meals (assuming you have some control over her breakfast and dinner). If you model healthy eating and exercise and aren't overbearing, she'll fall into place. Just please, please, please -- don't try to guilt her into it.
  • DarkAngel525
    Options
    Man, tough call. I was one of the heavier kids and I know my mom didn't want to approach me about it. She would try at times, but I was actually pretty active. However, we had TONS of junk in my house. My brothers played sports and one was a rail and the other was big but solid. So she bought sugar cereal, goldfish, cookies...things that are ok in moderation, but we definitely abused them.

I wouldn't 'force' the issue. While my mom wouldn't really speak up, my grandmother would and still does to this day and it is really heartbreaking to have the same conversation with someone over and over.

I say mention it gently to her about her health...not her looks! Then ask if she's interested in any activities that could be fun - - Zumba, swimming, hip hop class - - maybe even ask her to bring a few friends the first time.

I hope it works out for all you ladies who mentioned the same predicament. I know it is tough :flowerforyou:
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As much as you care about her there's nothing you can do to encourage her or do anything. If she's dangerously overweight then she should hear that she needs to do something about it from her doctor. It's not something that you should be encouraging other people to do, especially because a healthy diet and a healthy life has to be her decision and choice.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    Do you have a dog? i have a 16 yo girl and most of the time we are close she is a size 5 and she sees me struggling she doesn't want that for herself so she walks her dog and is now running. She wants to be a lifeguard so we have her "training" which involves running laps, doing strength dvd's like the the 30 day shred and we go to the indoor pool across town as much as we can. I am not on a diet so much as the whole family eats what i eat. we all eat brown rice, wheat bread, thin buns, almond milk, Salads and lots of fruit and veggies with healthy veggies go with dinner. That's not to say they don't struggle with it they aren't big but she went from a chunky 130 to 118 and getting very tone and is 5'4". and i'm toning i have a long way to go but it's about being healthy not dieting.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have an eighteen year old daughter who is becoming quite heavy. I have tried to get her involved with me in exercising but she wants nothing to do with it. I have been told by friends that girls this age just don't want to spend time with their moms. Well, I don't think I totally agree with that but, I am having trouble getting her to just want to exercise. She really doesn't have an unhealthy diet...eats very little meats and loves vegetables. Her problem is that she doesn't want to move !!!! She just wants to sit around watching TV or messaging her friends online.

Yes, she is technically an adult, but she does live with me and is still in high school. I have some control. Just not when it comes to getting her active. Any advice?

(One thing I am going to do is encourage her to make herself an account here at MFP)

Honestly speaking.... I have an 18 year old daughter as well... She already knows he is on the heavy side but not bad.... but she is taking steps to take care of herself on her own because SHE made the decision. I cant make it for her nor convince her otherwise....

Just like you, me or any of us on here using MFP - we had to come to our own senses about our health and weight issues. WE had to make the decision for US.....

All you will do, unforunately, is cause resentment and anger if you continue to talk with her about it... its like a vicious reminder that our mothers/parents are only focusing on the weight problem and nothing else.. its mentally detrimental.... Seriously, leave your daughter be and when she is ready, she will make the decision for herself....
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Tell her to never ever, under no circumstance, exercise....teens tend to do what their parents don't want them to.
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to be really careful about being too critical. Instead of telling her she is getting heavy, focus on her age right now, because she's at the age where most of us girls had to start being more careful about what we ate. So you could say something like, "You haven't had to worry about this in the past because your body was still in the Growth stage, but now that you basically have an adult body you will have to start taking good care of it so you can stay healthy. You'll probably find over the next few years that you won't be able to have the same sort of eating habits you had as a kid and still feel healthy. If you get plenty of exercise you will be able to worry about it much less, and your heart will be stronger so that you don't have so many health problems as an adult." Also I agree with the people who said to not buy any junk food. Load up on the fruit and vegetables at the store and buy things that require cooking or preparation in order for her to eat them. That way she can't just walk by the pantry and grab something...she'd have to stop what she was doing and actually prepare food. If a person eats out of boredom (as I tend to) then having things less accessible is the way to go!
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    Maybe try sparkteens.com instead. But don't force it on her.
    I've never heard of this. What's the predator/bully factor like? My kids are 13 and 15 and I don't let them on Facebook, but I bet being with other motivated kids online would help.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I agree with going to a dr. If she's getting to be in an unhealthy range maybe a dr can 'scare' her into changing something. Hearing it from your parents is different then hearing it from a dr. You may hurt her feelings, and you can never undo that! But if a dr tells here then all the information she gets will be about being healthier instead of looking good. Which no matter how you try to tell her, all she will hear from you is that she's fat. That's just how teens think. So see a dr and get the dr to do the work :)

On a different note, this thread has made me so happy that I changed my eating/exercise habits while my kids were young (my oldest is seven). We ate like crap and never went outside, now we eat WAY better and get outside almost everyday as long as the weather is nice. My oldest son now asks for things like fruit or veggies for snacks and my youngest son (two years old) doesn't even know junk food exists.
  • luvmybeebees
    luvmybeebees Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I would just ask her if she wantvs to start an account here or at spark teens, not set it up for her. SHE has to want it, or she won't even do anything with it when it's set up.

Start with little things...like the dog walking, or asking her to walk with you.

Make it about YOU! I tell my kids ' I have to walk 30 mins, wanna go with me?'. Or I have a jumping jack
    hchallenge caN you do ten with me? I have actually done this - had a 50 jj thing and had each kid do 10 w/
    Me! The other one that works in my house is Just Dance. I tell the kids I have to do 5 songs, wanna dance w/me? I probablyp look like a fool, but I have had 4 out 5 of my kids do it! (my 14 yr old son won't-lol)

And lead by example, just show her what changes YOU are making....hopefully she will follow! Good luck!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Tell her to never ever, under no circumstance, exercise....teens tend to do what their parents don't want them to.

Lol@this....I know exactly what you mean..
  • Nana_Anne
    Nana_Anne Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My time with my adult women and young men (4 children and ten grandchildren) is better spent in activities we both love. Spa treatments are fantastic for young ladies. My oldest daughter is a long word I can't begin to spell! Her room is relaxing and her facials are wonderful. I found this treatment not only relaxes them but they will listen to a professional. I also try to show them life beyond the tech world. Mini golf, go carts are the best! I love paint ball and I'll watch my grandson climb the walls :-) Walks on the beach, lake in the woods. In some cultures young adults are taught to turn from family while others are taught to keep the family unit intact. Where ever they are love them unconditionally, they need your love even when they say they don't :-)
  • jadelyndsey
    jadelyndsey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A person cannot fully put their whole self into something if they don't want to be part of it.

I think the best way to go about this is to calmly sit her down, and tell her she's beautiful and that you appreciate the person she is. Tell her you don't want to sound like a nagging mother, but you would like her to lead a long and happy HEALTHY life and for that to happen, it would be beneficial for her to join you on your quest for healthiness, in order to prevent her from becoming an "overweight/obese" statistic.

Coming from an 18 year old girl, I know that in the past I have had a lot of criticism from my mother, family and friends, and the words that really stuck were always words from my mother, which ironically were the words that hurt the most. Although sometimes she was trying to help despite giving backhanded compliments, I did think she was out to ruin my life. Think we've all been there hahaha

As for your actual question, you are right, you are her mother. But with that you are also the chauffeur, chef, and servant to your daughter (you may deny it, but all mothers drive their kids place, cook them food, and do tasks that your child is perfectly capable of) so because of this, you can control - albeit without her actually knowing - her lifestyle. The next time you cook a family meal, give her exactly what you give yourself. Instead of dropping her off at the shopping centre, tell her she is quite capable of getting there herself. Instead of giving in when she asks for you to wash her bedding and make up her bed again, tell her to get off her *kitten* and do it herself!

She will soon realise you don't want to ruin her life (like I did about 2 years ago) you are actually trying to help her. Encourage her to spend time with you and walk to a cinema or mall together and buy a little non-food treat whilst there, i.e. a manicure or clothes etc. Reassure her that you have no intention of hurting her, you merely just want her to live the life you think she deserves.

Also, tell her there is a really amazing 18 year old girl on MFP who has just gotten to her half way goal and would be happy to provide ongoing support and motivation! (ps that is me haha)

Good luck!!! xxx