question about eating back exercise cals

I hope I word this properly :-/

This is something that confuses me about eating back exercise cals, Imagine this person cant exercise every day and can only get out one day a week, here's what they do .....

Day 1 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 2 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 3 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 4 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 5 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 6 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
Day 7 burn 2100 cals,eat 3600 cals,

wouldn't their body see day 7 as a "binge eat"

If so how do they get round this problem? should they instead eat 1800 cals a day to even out their daily cal intake??

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    anyone??
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    I wouldnt think so, but then again, I am not 100% sure. I would hope to see more workouts/cal burning more than 1 day a week though....
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I don't know either, but it would probably work out the same if you ate 1800 daily. I do think if I burned 2100 calories in exercise in one day, I would probably be too tired to eat that day! =)
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    I see it as a Heart Attack waiting to happen. That much of a calorie burn can't do anything but send your body into shock. Course Age and Weight would have a factor in there too. And like some one said...I'd be too tired to eat!!!
  • donna_glasgow
    Its a question about how the body reacts to one day a week exercise and eating cals back the numbers aren't important,

Although I have MFP friends who burn that much daily lol

so eating back one day a week a binge? or spread the cals out over a week ??
  • MLA5FL
    MLA5FL Posts: 28 Member
    I personally think getting in workouts at least 3-5 days a week and not eating back exercise calories at all is the key - but I know my opinion is not the popular one here on MFP.
  • donna_glasgow
    I personally think getting in workouts at least 3-5 days a week and not eating back exercise calories at all is the key - but I know my opinion is not the popular one here on MFP.

I agree with you but shhhhhhhh we wont tell ;) lol ... its a hypothetical question really .... to allow me to understand the eating back cals thing ......

I read a post about a woman eating 700 cals a day and couldnt lose weight, once a wee she would go up to 1200 (they called this a binge in the post) soooo I was thinking about that and also the eating back of exercise cals ... I see that as a binge also

I mean if you exercise 2 times a week and burn 1000 cals each time then your intake would go up and down .... binge?? thats the way I see it anyway :)

.... interested to see what others think/say about binge or not :)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    I hope I word this properly :-/

This is something that confuses me about eating back exercise cals, Imagine this person cant exercise every day and can only get out one day a week, here's what they do .....

Day 1 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 2 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 3 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 4 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 5 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 6 no exercise,eat 1500 cals,
    Day 7 burn 2100 cals,eat 3600 cals,

wouldn't their body see day 7 as a "binge eat"

If so how do they get round this problem? should they instead eat 1800 cals a day to even out their daily cal intake??
    imo the person is burning 2100 calories, thus needs to eat that back. if they only ate 1500 calories, then they would be in a huge 2600 calorie deficit (the original 500 mfp gave to them plus the 2100 they burnt).
    I dont know anyone who burns 2100 calories in a work out, but these are just numbers. But for reality sake, let's change that burn to a 500 (typical) calorie burn. On the day of their work out, they would need to eat 1900 calories. Sound more realistic??
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    But it is difficult for me to eat all my exercise calories back. Bottom line I try get in at least 1200 net calories per day. Closer to "0" balance but 1200 anyways.
  • Claudette03
    Claudette03 Posts: 10 Member
    My understanding is that you need to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. I usually do not eat all my calories earned in exercise, except on the days where I am really hungry. Check this site out, it has a good explanation and shows you how they come up with the net calorie need. http://www.builtlean.com/2011/01/18/how-many-calories-should-you-eat-to-lose-weight/

As for the binge day, everyone's body is different and will react differently. And, the foods you are eating on that day will make a difference. If I ate that in pizza, does not matter how many calories I burned, I would be up several pounds the next day and it would take me a week to drop it.

If you are getting the results you want and doing it in a safe way, then keep doing it.