Sorry to bring this up!

Options
Sorry this is rude... but whenever i'm eating healthy and doing everything right i get very constipated...
I've tried everything i've heard so far... prunes, lots of fruit and veg, lots of water, hot water, fiber, flax, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations??

I hope so because it looks and feels horrible!!

Thanks

Replies

• B TOWN
    B TOWN Posts: 32
    Options
    Sorry this is rude... but whenever i'm eating healthy and doing everything right i get very constipated...
    I've tried everything i've heard so far... prunes, lots of fruit and veg, lots of water, hot water, fiber, flax, etc.

Thanks
  • blueberrybox
    Options
    do you eat meat or protien??

since im vegetarian i get constipated alot

and im not ashamed to talk about it haha.
    but yeah try drinking green tea
    and have a bowl of oatmeal or creme of wheat

or maybe a slice of toast with peanut butter

hope that helps
    :D:D:D
  • blueberrybox
    Options
    ahhh! i posted twice :embarassed:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Do you get enough fiber? Here are some tips from WebMD:

* Eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of fiber. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole-grain bread and cereal (especially bran). Fiber and water help the colon pass stool.
    * Drink 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water and other fluids a day (unless fluid restricted for another medical condition). Liquids that contain caffeine, such as coffee and soft drinks, seem to have a dehydrating effect and may need to be avoided until your bowel habits return to normal. Some people may need to avoid milk, as dairy products may be constipating for them.
    * Exercise regularly.
    * Move your bowels when you feel the urge.

Also:

* Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day (unless fluid restricted).
    * Try warm liquids, especially in the morning.
    * Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
    * Eat prunes and/or bran cereal.
    * If needed, use a very mild stool softener or laxative (such as Peri-colace or Milk of Magnesia). Do not use laxatives for more than two weeks without calling your doctor, as laxative overuse can aggravate your symptoms.

BUT!:

Warning

Call your doctor if:

* Constipation is a new problem for you.
    * You have blood in your stool.
    * You are losing weight even though you are not dieting.
    * You have severe pain with bowel movements.
    * Your constipation has lasted more than two weeks.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-constipation?page=2
  • Pom_love_2
    Options
    I was having trouble with this a while back so I asked my pharmacist what she recommended as an aid that wasn't harsh.....she suggested docusate sodium, usp, which is generic for Colace. I will soften things up, till your body adjusts to the new foods. I was taking 1 softgel 3X day for a couple weeks, then went down to only morning and night for a week, and now I only take 1 every couple days. It's been about 1 1/2 months, and my doctor said it's mild, but the body can get used to it so don't use it long term. I've stayed on my fiber supplements(soluable) the entire time and still take them because of my cholesterol.

Hope this helps..:smile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You might try adding fiber slowly to your diet, instead of making a big leap to recommended amounts. This will give your body time to adjust. Lots of water and exercise help.
  • DevilDog
    DevilDog Posts: 37
    Options
    Drink Waaaaaay more water!
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    weird, I get the opposite problem (and GAS from all the fiberous and cruciferous veggies that are so good for us !!)

Also, oatmeal tends to work for me to bind me up, so even tho it's fiber, can it really help constipation too? Maybe it has to do with containing both soluble and insoluble fiber ??

So here's what makes my problem way worse and therefore may be a solution to you :

Fiber one bars !! Yummy !!
    AND ..
    Go Lean cereal with the o's and hearts in it. That stuff rockets through you like it's on fire, and it has a lot of good stuff in it too !!

Good luck !
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    more fibre, more water... try fibre that comes from pears, apples, and other fruits. If you add it slowly, your body will get used to it and if you add it all at once, you'll probably have some pain because its time for you to go :wink:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Thanks

I have had this problem since I start my change in eating fruits and veggies and lean meat and whole grains which is suppose to help. When I discussed this with my doctor today he told me to get some DocQlax , which is a stool softener plus laxative. He said I will have to take it regular now, which I know my dad takes a stool softener every day. I had tried very strong laxatives with no results, but when I got home I took 4 pills , which is okay for a days dose, tonight I had results finally. I was eating fiber, drinking more fluids plenty of fruits and veg. But I think you should give this a try , it's over the counter you don't need a prescription. If it has been about seven days you should see your doctor. By the way the one my dad takes and I had borrowed some of his a couple of weeks ago, is Phillips, stool softener with lax. Don't get the one that just says Laxative on it/ I got it at Wal Mart and it worked okay as well, remember the softener and you can take it everyday,:wink:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I gotta tell you, if I had known a high fiber diet would have been so...how to put it...satisfying (yeah, that's a good way to put it!) I would have converted a long time ago. I start every day with 2 cups of Fiber One Raisin Clusters, which not only tastes great but keeps everything running smoothly...VERY smoothly (ok, I'll stop I promise :laugh: ).

In any event, might give that a try, it rocks pretty hard.

-J
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    its called EXLAX
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Probiotics. Fiber and water never worked for me, usually if i ever get constipated it is from some sort of imbalance and probiotics.have always helped. They have been around in the health food world for a while and have recently gotten main stream (it is even in some yogurt Acitivia). It helps you feel less bloated and gassy too.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try the fiberone cereal
    same problem here since eating better
    I eat 2 fat free fig newtons a day (90 cals) and LOTS of water and green tea
    I also have been drinking Fuze slenderize (only 5-25cals) and that helps a lot!

Kim
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Try to eat at least 25 g of fiber a day. That is my "goal", which I often surpass. That is what Dr. Oz (from Oprah) says women should aim for. Also, drink plenty of water to "help" all that fiber along. The combo should get you erm.......up and running......soon! :)
  • gonezobean
    gonezobean Posts: 154
    Options
    I had the same problem...it is not gross its uncomfortable!

I started eating dried figs for fiber. 1 dried fig is 21 calories and jam packed with fiber.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was a fiber one fan for years until i learned it had fake sugar in it. Fake sugar makes some people (me included) starving. I now eat Puffins by Barbara's Bakery, they are all natural and come in lots of flavors. I like the way that they crunch too.