Couch-2-5k program anyone??

Options
e_NV_y
e_NV_y Posts: 100 Member
My new goal is to run.. and was told by a fellow mfp user that Couch-2-5k is a good program to follow if your a new runner..Any one do this and have success?? Any suggestions??

I would love to be able to run 3miles straight!! Currently I work out 5x/days week and use the ellipitcal but would like to move on to running which is VERY intimating to me so any suggestions of how to start would be great! :)

Replies

• e_NV_y
    Options
    By the way this is the running plan I found to start:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Me! :smile: There are a lot of folks here using that program, or one like it - there are many phone apps you can download to run while you're running - gives you all the prompts of when to walk, when to run, etc. I have never been a runner, and I'm starting Week 7 of the program tomorrow! 7 weeks ago there is no way I could have run even 20 minutes without stopping, but I'm doing it now! Go for it!

And I and many others will tell you - stick with the program, go slow, and get good shoes! Repeat days or weeks if you need to, some days are just better than others. And have fun!
  • shescountry74
    Options
    i am doing the same program w/c25k. a friend of mine who is an advid, I mean a advid and very active runner with long marathons and triathalons, she was the one that recommended it to me she highly recommends its. I took her advice and I have started it. Good luck! I would love to do a 5k without having to stop for a breather :-)
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    Me! :smile: There are a lot of folks here using that program, or one like it - there are many phone apps you can download to run while you're running - gives you all the prompts of when to walk, when to run, etc. I have never been a runner, and I'm starting Week 7 of the program tomorrow! 7 weeks ago there is no way I could have run even 20 minutes without stopping, but I'm doing it now! Go for it!

Good to hear!! what is the app called?? I was wondering if I would need a stop watch for it..lol Im still pretty nervous about it but going to start today with my boyfriend so we will see!! :)

Thank you!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went for one of the freebies - it's called c25kFREE. Easy to use, and the prompts are easy to hear when it's time to run or walk. I run outside, so I bought an armband to hold my phone so I can easily take it with me.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am on week 5 of C25K and I love it! I highly recommend it, and this is coming from a non-runner. I find that I actually ENJOY it, and that is just crazy to me. Good luck!
  • SkinnyBitchMode19
    SkinnyBitchMode19 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today too!! I'm training for the Zombie 5k in October and i've never run a day in my life so i'm a little scared :frown:

I downloaded the Couch to 5k app for my iphone and from what i've been told its the way to go when you're starting out. Good luck!!
  • e_NV_y
    Options
    Ok so maybe dumb question.. but the 1st 5min warm up walk.. is that included in the 20/minutes? or is it added?? so its like a 25min total?
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I started today!! I really impressed myself so I'm so excited to keep going! I really hope this gets my *kitten* in shape! Lol
    Oh and I did 5 min warm up, the 20 mins then a 5 min cool down. 30 mins total of pure awesomeness lol
  • sfb350
    sfb350 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on week three of the C25K and really enjoying it. I've downloaded the pod casts from the NHS C25K site on to my MP3 player. That means I don't even have to think about when to run and when to walk as Laura, the instructor on the pod cast, tells me what to do. The music is pretty good to run to and there are also useful tips about technique.
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm using it as a guide to make my own plan because I always get stuck on week 5 when you have to run for 20 mins with no walking. To me that is a massive jump from run 8, walk 5, run 8.

At the moment I can do 8-5-8 on the elliptical or outside. Elliptical I can push it further (I feel the burn in my legs more but not as much in my breathing) but it's all hills where I run outside so after 8 mins I really need a break.

I hope once I've been running regularly for a while it gets easier!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    DO IT!!! I now run 5k 3 times a week with a longer run at weekends...converted into a running addict! LOVE IT!
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    Doing it as well. Im using the run 5K app on my phone. It gives the program with audio tones to run or walk. So far, loving it- Good luck
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Ok so maybe dumb question.. but the 1st 5min warm up walk.. is that included in the 20/minutes? or is it added?? so its like a 25min total?

Its in addition to the 20 mins of run/walking....You will do a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down, for a total of 30 mins. Its a great program, a friend of mine did it and loved it. I, personally, wasnt fond of continuous running, so I stopped around week 5.
  • maethoriel
    Options
    I just downloaded the C25K app yesterday and I'm going to start it later today. I'm excited. :)
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I started this last night. I downloaded the Zen Labs, C25K for the iphone. It was perfect. Good Luck! Add me if you want....
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! I'm following the cool runnings guideline that someone else posted and just finished my first run/walk of week 4. I've never been a runner and I'm still pretty heavy, but I'm doing it! You do need something to tell you when to walk and run. I can't find the charger cord for my ipod, so no app for me. I'm just timing it with the timer on my treadmill. When I move outside I'll get a running watch or some such thing.

There's also group here at MFP for C25K: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I really wanna start this but I cannot run for very long so I'm kind of worried I won't be able to keep up with the program but I'm willing to give it a shot,have awesome weather here to start with :)
  • katiejneely
    Options
    Yep, it's great! Finished the program about 2 months ago and I'm now running about 5 miles! Give it a shot!
  • carasmith42
    Options

And I and many others will tell you - stick with the program, go slow, and get good shoes! Repeat days or weeks if you need to, some days are just better than others. And have fun!

I think I do the same plan, and I love it! I am on day 3 of week 7 and never thought I would be able to run for 25 minutes straight! I did the plan at a slower rate (repeated days) because it was challenging! It has probably taken me 12 weeks instead of 8 but it feels awesome to be able to run! Do the program at your own pace!