C25k NSV :) :)

Options

Replies

• actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm at the same point as you!! Just done the first session of week 3 and I totally thought I couldn't do it - so I just kept control of my breathing and focused on not looking at the time. I got through it too! Though I found the 1min - 1.30min difficult - breathing kept getting too difficult and legs aching for the extra 30 seconds.

Totally mental rather than physical - that I could control and regulate my breathing and go double the time from when I struggled is proof enough for me. Still doubting tomorrows session but I've done it today so I can do it again! Well done!
  • helpmelose2011
    helpmelose2011 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've been slacking this week (i fell on my tail bone and it's killing me) so I'm still on week 1 day 1 - I'm going to stay there until I feel like the running intervals aren't going to kill me :) WTG though!! The C25K is getting great reviews. I felt so accomplished when I finished my first day :)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thinking about the next week can make you stress out, so take it minute by minute. So many people have used this program to start running and love running now. Keep at it. Mind over matter! Congrats!

Totally agree with the stress out if you think ahead. I am on Week 4 Day 2 today. Week 4 Day 1 was way easier for me than Week 3 Day 3 simply because I didn't look ahead to see what I had to accomplish. Silly mental blocks!

Oh - and you can TOTALLY do this, by the way! :)

Ditto that....On round 2 of week 4 (trying to get over those mental blocks myself) ...take it minute by minute and don't stress out.
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Excellent job!
  • Labcoathipster
    Options
    Heck yeah! That's awesome!
  • amyniceneasy
    amyniceneasy Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ok you newbie runners...I have a question for you. For the first time in my whole life I managed to jog for a mile straight a few weeks ago and I've done it a couple of times since then just to prove to myself it wasnt a fluke. Here's my issue...I can jog barefoot on a treadmill but not on the road in shoes. Truth me told...I'd go barefoot 24/7 if I could. I kick my shoes off as soon as I get home and as soon as I get in the office at work. I've always had a terrible time finding athletic shoes that didnt hurt my feet. Everyone I know LOVES wearing athletic shoes....I hate them. I don't think I've ever found a pair that felt good. I'd love to become a real runner but the pain I feel in my feet when I'm on the road is unbareable. Suggestions?
  • woodsk67
    woodsk67 Posts: 88
    Options
    Congrats!!!!
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    I had the same thing on Monday too doing Week 3 day 1 of c25k, I knew it had 3 minute jogs in but thought there were two sets of 90 seconds then two sets of 3 minutes so wasn't expecting it straight after the first lot of 90secs.... the second one was harder after realising but we did it!!!

Well done! :)
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at how well this program works. I was a true non-runner just over a month ago. But today, I did week 5 day 2. I ran two 8 minute segments twice! The 20 minute run on Friday may just be do-able! LOVE C25K!!!
  • lmalaschak
    lmalaschak Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    We're in week 5, I think. Every time I see a new (longer) run on the next day's schedule, I am certain that I can't do it. And so far I've been able to do them all. It's surprising how quickly you improve, I think. Good job!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Ok you newbie runners...I have a question for you. For the first time in my whole life I managed to jog for a mile straight a few weeks ago and I've done it a couple of times since then just to prove to myself it wasnt a fluke. Here's my issue...I can jog barefoot on a treadmill but not on the road in shoes. Truth me told...I'd go barefoot 24/7 if I could. I kick my shoes off as soon as I get home and as soon as I get in the office at work. I've always had a terrible time finding athletic shoes that didnt hurt my feet. Everyone I know LOVES wearing athletic shoes....I hate them. I don't think I've ever found a pair that felt good. I'd love to become a real runner but the pain I feel in my feet when I'm on the road is unbareable. Suggestions?
    either run barefoot (it's fashionable now!) or go for minimal shoes like Vibrams.
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I started C25K on January 4th (at 250 pounds)and just started week 4 today. My poor body hasn't run since high school, and it didn't even want to run then!! Today I sailed through the 3 minute and 5 minute run(at 227 pounds). The second set was a lot harder though! But you know what??? I was RUNNING!!! I ran 5 minutes straight!!!! That was a huge accomplishment for me! Totally made my day!!!!!!!!! So glad to find threads like this where we are all working towards the same goal and supporting each other :) Great job everyone!!!
  • pjsmom2010
    pjsmom2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 7 and the podcast I'm doing (Podrunners) only has 9 weeks. YIKES!!! I'm at 25 mins straight right now. I'm sure 30 mins is coming up soon. I'm right below 2 miles right now because I run a mile in under 14 mins. This program totally works because I'm the most non running person ever. It is a great accomplishment when you hit those milestones of running without stopping no matter how many minutes it is. Good luck to everyone out there. If I can do it, you can too!!! Just stick with it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I'm just starting the c25k. I am registerd for a 5k run in June with my daughter. I used to run years (and years) ago and never really liked doing it, but loved the results. My daughter is keeping me motivated though. I'm really excited to do the run with her.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing great! Yesterday, I completed Week 6, day 1. I am in training. I'm signed up for two 5K runs. I just checked the calendar, and my first run is at the end of week 8, and the second is at the end of week 9. Oops! I think it will be okay, since I'm much more interested in finishing than placing. Yesterday was the toughest, so far, but I think the muggy, warm weather had a lot to do with it. It reminded me of when I was running in Florida. I ran a lot in my 30's and 40's, but I'm starting over again at 60. I have the advantage of previous running experience, and I remember the helpful things I discovered back then that I can still apply today. I also have the persistence/endurance/stubbornness that comes with being older. :wink:

One thing I do for endurance is continue walking briskly after I complete the C25K portion. On most C25K days, I follow a route of rolling hills that takes me 3 1/2 miles from home, so I have another 3 1/2 miles to get back home. I don't have an app, so as I'm running, I'll pick a landmark, like a mailbox or driveway, and determine to wait until I get there to check my time. That frees me up to think about other things as I run and makes the time go faster.

Have fun with this!
  • jamerican23
    jamerican23 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i totally agreed i haven't run in 15 yrs ......love the c25k program i am currently on week 7 and doing great the first time i run for 20min straight i could 'nt believe it because i was so nervous that i told my self no way i can do this but i prove me wrong now i run 25min make a believer out of me can't wait to become a real runner....
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options

I'm not a newbie runner (I've been running for a while now and am now training for a half-marathon), but here:

http://barefootrunning.com/

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--13691-0,00.html

Have you ever had a professional fit your shoes? That's the only way I've been able to find ones that work for me. It also helped reduce my foot and calf injury issues...
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    The 1st time i tried it I bailed out at wk 4 - Why?? Cos I looked forward ALL the way & just freaked myself out, told myself i couldnt do it. That was 4 months ago, Im now on wk 2, day 3 & thankfully I have forgotten whats comng up. I knwo it will be tough, but I refuse to give up this time.

Well done for sticking to it & for your NSV, its awesome :)
  • dcjackson50
    dcjackson50 Posts: 196
    Options
    Excellent,.....very good progress.

I haven't tried the program but, push myself to run, jog walk alternately because I really want to say I AM A RUNNER !
    It is the easiest quickest way to get in shape, no equipment needed and it really feels invigorating and amazing when I run.

I did run fairly often years ago, so slowly working my way back. Perfect time of year to start a routine like this.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    OP: Way to go! C25K is a great program if you just keep telling yourself you CAN do it. Looking ahead and freaking yourself out is the only roadblock.

Just you wait until you hit that final run. If you're anything like I was, you'll feel so excited you'll want to jump up and down for joy! And now I'm running 10Ks and training for a half-marathon and I owe it all to C25K.

You can do it! Just keep going...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!