I can't lose weight without being obsessed with it. Can u?

Options
The last couple times I told my husband I lost another lb, he said that's great, but don't become obsessed with it. If I don't concentrate most of my energy to this lifestyle change, then how can I be successful at it? Is it possible to be successful at this without being obsessive?? I don't want to feel guilty.

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can't do it without being conscious of my actions all day. I talk about it a lot, especially to my husband. It could get old but oh well.
  • ohtobe2
    ohtobe2 Posts: 43
    Options
    I have to be obsessed with it, otherwise I just fall off the wagon straight away. I get excited when I get obsessed and start seeing results!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I admit to worrying about obsessing over it. Whenever I lose a lb, I tell whoever I've chosen to follow (i.e. whoever I've been talking the ear off of about this site and calories, etc.) the next day or that weekend. And then I apologize out of habit because I'm nervous about becoming annoying with this thing. 29 to go, which means about 20 more weeks of "17 lbs! 18 lbs! 19 lbs! 20 gone!" for them. :laugh:
  • joeypivarnik1
    Options
    Same here. If Im not stoked on it then I'll never do it.
  • mefab50
    mefab50 Posts: 5
    Options
    I eat without thinking about it so I have to make a conscious effort to eat strategically. It takes obsession. These forums help since you can spout off to folks who are feeling the same way you are. Thank goodness for MFP!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Food is pretty much all I think about all day... how to ration it, how to stop myself from mindlessly eating it. It's the only thing that keeps me from plowing through two boxes of Wheat Thins. However, I don't exercise almost ever, so when I get to a point in my life where I can burn those calories off easily, I think it will be easier for me to stop obsessing.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank u guys! I feel better about it now :)
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    With me, I obsess about it when I am eating badly and now that i am eating weel I also obsess - it's the only way I know

I look forward to the day when I can obsess about maintaining a healthy, slim figure :)
  • laetitiaw
    laetitiaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's only natural, it's really hard to loose weight and without focus it's just too easy to fall off the wagon. When you reach your target weight I bet you'll be less "obessed" as by then it will have become the norm - until then hubby needs to support you.

I've got my hubby on the diet with me and from a man who didn't like veg he's now eating Soya Beans!

Good luck xx
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm definitely obsessed!! Losing weight and healthier food is all I seem to talk about with my husband!! :D I'm sure he is about tired of it but oh well...I'm on a roll!! :D
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Tell your husband to get bent. It's a lifestyle change, if your not obsessed / serious about it you'll fall off the wagon. My wife thinks i'm obsessed as well, I weigh myself too much, blah blah blah. I just ignore it. I'm in it to win it!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think by definition everyone on MFP obsesses. We have to. Personally I've only ever managed to lose weight when doing so has been a major focus in my life. The problem is it's really hard to sustain that level of focus because life has an annoying habit of getting in the way.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Same here, when I get. Obsessed with it, I know I will stick to it.
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    See.. now that I'm more "obsessed'/aware of my eating habits- I feel like I'm eating worse than when I'm not thinking about it! When I am busy and not thinking about food- I'm not always hungry. When I'm always thinking about food I eat more, and then feel more guilty about my eating and awful about myself.

Have any of you experienced this? Any tips how to avoid this?

Thanks!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I definitely think about it a lot but I try to keep discussion of it here for the most part so that I don't annoy my friends. They know I'm being healthy and are supportive of my efforts but I try not to talk about it too much with them because I can see how I would become annoying after a while :) I have noticed that I've inspired one of my friends to start eating healthy which is nice to see.

For me to be successful I need to keep it on my mind so I like to buy fitness books and magazines, watch healthy living shows, and log into sites like this . It helps me stay on track.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Until it all becomes intuitive its impossible not to obsess over it. For most people that might be never but I'd rather think about it than just blindly shove food in my mouth.
  • laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed for sure. I have to be! Unfortunately, my parents and many of my close friends are not really into living a healthy lifestyle, which makes it very easy to fall off the program. If I don't think about every single thing that touches my lips and strategically plan my workouts then I'd be 400 lbs. I notice that as soon as I become even the slightest bit relaxed, pounds start to creep up because of who I am surrounded by.

The good news is, because of my obsession my mom and best friend are expressing interest. My mom has joined Curves and weight watchers, and my best friend just recently joined MFP as well! Probably all because I am super annoying telling them how many calories I have left for the day, pulling out my phone before I order or eat ANYTHING and plan my social life around my gym time.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The last couple times I told my husband I lost another lb, he said that's great, but don't become obsessed with it. If I don't concentrate most of my energy to this lifestyle change, then how can I be successful at it? Is it possible to be successful at this without being obsessive?? I don't want to feel guilty.

Haha this just made me realize that I have probably called or texted my boyfriend every time I have noticed a pound decrease. He is probably sick and tired of it but that's part of their job to be supportive, especially if they realize how hard you have been working.

It sounds like you're husband might be afraid that you will put too much time and energy into working out and dieting to still give him the attention he needs. Also, he might be afraid that the new and improved you will be getting all that extra male attention :) Ensure him that you will always find time for him and suggest he tries working out or eating healthier with you. Explain how important this is to you and how you really need his support.

Try to think of it as being conscientious not obsessive. The problem with any type of diet is that you need to follow it strictly or it's going to be counterproductive. That being said, set up your routine and stick to it. Eventually it will become routine to him to and it won't be "obsessive" but normal for both of you :)