Hate looking in the mirror!

Options
My name is Dave and I've reached the point where I just can't stand to look at myself anymore! I used to be in control and wasn't half bad looking at one point in my life. I know things have to change...NOW! But I need help and support. I need to take my disgust at how I look and use it as motivation. Can any of you help with some positive encouragement? In return, I'll do everything I can to be supportive and positive for you. Takers?

Replies

• Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    Welcome to myfitnesspal Dave! It will help you so much, and so will your friends here! I'll add you! best of luck on your journey!
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Welcome Dave! You are not alone in your feelings! We have all felt that way, or still do at times. But you have made a great decision to start here! It is a great site! I lost 40 lbs 6 years ago prior to getting pregnant with my daughter. I'm back and have been losing 1 lb a week with no exercise (I hurt my ankle). But we are all here to support you. Feel free to add me as a friend! I log on daily and am always here for support! Good Luck!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I still have a hard time with the mirror, but sometimes I think it takes our minds a little while to catch up to the changes in our body. Good luck add me if you'd like.
  • teresa1121
    teresa1121 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave My name is Teresa i have struggled all my life with this and yes everyone needs that extra support when trying to lose weight or anything we do. I have a great team at home behind me but it is not the same when you know they have not been in my shoes I put myself in this situation with my weight i have to do the work to get myself out.. as do you but that added nudge from our
    support team is super important and motivational cause we are all here for the same reason you can do it look in that mirror and be proud and one day with hard work and dedication that mirror will be something you will want to stand in front of.. please feel free to add me Have a nice day and best of luck.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Today is the day. Get in front of that mirror and take photos of yourself at every angle. From this day on, these will now be known as your BEFORE pics. You keep them in a safe place and begin to make the changes that need to be made. Start slow and work your way to and past each goal. In time, that before self will just be a memory and you will be living a healthier life and will be happier with yourself for sticking to it. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hey Dave,
    You made a great first step by coming here. A lot of great support. I was there also and the beginning was tough but day by day you will get there. I am 5'4 and 6 months ago I was at my heaviest at 214lbs I am now around 168 lbs with my goal to be around 140-145 lbs there are weeks that I feel like I am getting no where but you know what I will not let that stop me, even if I don't see the scale go down or my measurements at that time I am still doing good for my body regardless then I start to see progress yet again.

Every day is YOUR day to regain control of what you want!

I am free to anyone to add for any support I can give.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It is tough, and so many of us are right there with you!! I am doing a challenge at my gym and they took pix. I so do not want to see them OMG!!!

You can do it and eventually the mirror will be kinder
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place. Feel free to add me as a friend. I am on a life changing journey myself. Good luck. You CAN and you WILL do it!!!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Dave you are in the right place positive changes to your lifestyle will rub off on your confidence. You will get there glad you found this place?? You will be?? See you around all a few friends for support. They boost you on the lowest of days and get you through and they make your news feed shine x
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    welcome to add me...I was born and raised in TN...live in Alabama now. LOVE MFP!! Don't care how skinny I get, I won't leave this place till I'm too old to get online :)
  • wwww1199
    wwww1199 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. We all need support.
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    Welcome, Dave!

I think we all know what it's like to hate looking in the mirror. That feeling will likely be there off and on for a while. It'll go away as you start to see results, then come back when you get used to seeing those results and start craving new ones....but the important thing is that you will see results! So don't give up when you have down days (I've had several lately). Keep it up! We're all here for you!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave - I know the feeling. I was at 279 at my highest weight and couldn't stand to look at myself in the mirror. I'm down about 62 pounds and, while I still don't like to look at myself, I'm starting to see some definition in my worst spots (stomach and chest) and other parts - legs, arms are starting to look really good. The funny thing is, I look at myself and wonder how did I ever let myself get so damn fat before? I think that I look bad now - how bad did I look before I started losing weight? I was fooling myself thinking "Oh, I carry my weight pretty well" or "I've got a large frame so I really don't look that bad". Bah - I looked like crap but didn't want to admit it to anyone, including myself.
    You can do this. When the weight starts coming off, you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel. Good luck and feel free to add me - I'm in your state (albeit the other end of it) and we're close to the same age (I'll be 44 next month).
  • tarasalazar416
    Options
    Hi Dave my name is Tara, I understand what you are going through, I am at my highest in weight after having 3 kids. I also hate looking in the mirror. I feel disgusted every time that I do. But with this program, it will help us make good choices and make a difference for our bodies. For myself when I eat something and see how much calories, or sugar is in the things that I eat, helps me not to eat certain things that are high in those. For example I got a 4 piece chicken basket from DQ and that same day got logged into this program and found out that this basket has over 1,000 calories, and that was the last time I ate there, or any fast fried food after that. It really makes you thinks about the things you are putting in your body. If you would like to add me as a friend I would like that. Good luck with everything.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hey Dave~ I am in the same boat you are....hate looking in the mirror. We are in control....If we don't like it WE can change it! Let's do this!!! Feel free to add me if you'd like. We all need supporters.

Good luck!
  • knritter
    knritter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave, I too am new too. I am finding my encouragement as well. I hope the best for you. It's hard but we can do it! :wink:
  • MelissaW1978
    MelissaW1978 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would take some "before" pics from every angle. The mirror and "before" photos are your best friends. They will push you to your limits....help you to say "no" to dessert, get you out of bed in the morning to exercise before work. You may not like your reflection now, but as you head towards your goal, "before" photos will remind you of how far you have come and give you the encouragement you need to keep going.
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave,..We can all relate to that terrible feeling but we can all tell you that in time, you will begin to feel better about yourself.

Take baby steps to rid/change any bad habits & replace them with good ones. Start off slow & small so there is no discourage or negative emotions (trust me there will be plenty of them)

This site is amazing & has people that can lift you up on your low days & push you on your slow ones,

Write your goals all down weight/ personal anything you want to accomplish, prepare & plan & most importantly do what you can.

Feel free to add me.

Best of Luck in your changes & on your journey.

You have the power as long as you have the Will.

:heart:
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bejuled74
    bejuled74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave! Good luck on your journey, you are in good company now and everyone knows what you are going through. MFP is the best tool to have. Feel free to add me!