Calories Mismatch

Options
Hi,

After 40 minutes on my elliptical trainer, the calories counter shows 420 calories ... Whereas MFP tells me 33 minutes for 420 calories ... Which amount should I record : the actual 40 minutes or the 420 calories burnt ?

Thanks for your help

Replies

• spoiledmiss
    Options
    I was talking to a friend about this and we think it has to do with MFP taking your weight into consideration when calculating your calories burned, where your (well my) elliptical cant do that.
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Your eliptical is usually just a guesstimate. MFP takes into account your age and weight when calculating calories burned. I found that it is pretty accurate.
    The only way to know FOR SURE how many cals you are burning is to wear a HRM.
    I wear a HRM and I find that the MFP calculations are usually within 20-50 cals of my actual burn.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Never go by what the machine says. EVER. Grossly overestimates.
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Neither. MFP overestimates and the elliptical assumes you're a certain weight. Both are wrong.

I've found this site to be more accurate.
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    At most gyms on the elliptical you can enter your height,weight and age before starting...if you are entering those things go with what it says if not I would use the MFP suggestion.

P.S. I am saving up for a HRM so I don't have to worry about this soon...because I wonder how accurate MFP is anyways....
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been told that the exercise database at MFP records calories burned a little high. I would go with what you know you burned for a fact (the 420 calories) and hey, if it's more, you win in the whole scheme of things!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates your age and weight into the mix. Go with that instead.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi,

After 40 minutes on my elliptical trainer, the calories counter shows 420 calories ... Whereas MFP tells me 33 minutes for 420 calories ... Which amount should I record : the actual 40 minutes or the 420 calories burnt ?

Thanks for your help

The only semi-accurate way to do this, and I do stress "semi", is to have an HRM. MFP doesn't know and your machine doesn't know. Based on conversations I've had with trainers and doctors I wouldn't even worry about it. Just exercise smart, hard, and eat right.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i dont use an elliptical, but generally speaking, for me, the MFP calculations were way higher than what i believe to be my actual calorie count. I now use my heart rate monitor for tracking cals burned. If you dont have one and cant get one right now, just e cautious, maybe perhaps eating 50-75% of cals back instead of all.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments ... will stick to MFP estimates ... until I go and purchase an HRM ...

Cheers
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Neither. MFP overestimates and the elliptical assumes you're a certain weight. Both are wrong.

I've found this site to be more accurate.
    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators

Thanks a lot polz7 ...!!!

Just tested out the site you recommended ... it is a lot more accurate ...!!!

Cheers