Hate looking in the mirror!

Options
2»

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Here for ya! Welcome~add me if you like...I like support too!
  • Jreneewright
    Options
    you made a great choice in coming here!! lots of support on MFP!! plus it super easy to keep up with everything! add me and we can support each other!! i dont like looking in my mirror either but one day we will!! Good luck on your journey!!
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave. You came to the right place. This is definitely the place to come to for support and encouragment. Congratulations on taking the first step towards a healthier you. You can add me as a friend if you like. Good luck.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    My name is Dave and I've reached the point where I just can't stand to look at myself anymore! I used to be in control and wasn't half bad looking at one point in my life. I know things have to change...NOW! But I need help and support. I need to take my disgust at how I look and use it as motivation. Can any of you help with some positive encouragement? In return, I'll do everything I can to be supportive and positive for you. Takers?

Hey Dave, I'm so sorry to hear you feel like that about yourself. I am a Christian and believe that God did a good job of making me! But I understand that not everyone shares my religious beliefs so let me say this:

You are wonderful, unique and the only YOU in the universe! I hear a lot of people say that they want to lose weight to feel better about themselves when I actually think it's a bit of a circle: the more you like yourself, the more you want to treat yourself well. Start to think about the things you really like about yourself; your character, your humour. Think about your friends/family and the good things people who know you say about you. Think about how your legs have walked you miles and your hands have shaken hands of strangers that became friends and how your arms have brought comfort and joy to other human beings.

A year ago, I would have read what I just wrote and thought it all new age bullsh1t and I'm sure some other people on here will too! But David, I firmly believe that you are well made. You may have made mistakes and not treated yourself the way you should have, but there is no point beating yourself up about it. EVERYONE on here has made mistakes and the reason we punish ourselves and eat crap is not because we are pathetic and ugly and deserve no better, but because we are human and we are sometimes foolish!

You can do this. Open your eyes and see yourself as you really are; the good things and the bad things, and just go for it!
  • melanieparker13
    melanieparker13 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Feel free to add me. I know exactly how you feel.. MFP is great:happy:
  • shariTN
    shariTN Posts: 53
    Options
    Today is the day. Get in front of that mirror and take photos of yourself at every angle. From this day on, these will now be known as your BEFORE pics. You keep them in a safe place and begin to make the changes that need to be made. Start slow and work your way to and past each goal. In time, that before self will just be a memory and you will be living a healthier life and will be happier with yourself for sticking to it. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Excellent advice. I wish I had taken before pictures now. At the time I thought I wouldn't want to see them. But they can be very motivational. I love how TBL have the contestants talk to their "future selves" and then have them go back and watch them after they are successful. Losing weight is not about vanity in the long run, we may start it that way, BUT it is SO EMPOWERING! I do things I never thought I would be able to do.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    lots of positive people here and willing to help out in lots of ways...good luck..its a tough but well worth it journey
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    You've taken that amazing first step that you know deep down you needed too. Welcome to a new start. Change takes a while sometimes and consistency, which I have faltered myself many times. We are all here to help!!