My Story, SO FAR....

Options
Alot of people have asked me how I have done this, so I thought I would post it here. Hope this helps !

!
First of all, I have been overweight pretty much my whole life, although, My mother would not agree, But I was, trust me. I started to get "husky" as my dad put it, around age 10, and I by no means was huge, but I was bigger than most girls my age. It continued thru my teen years, and I was married and had my first baby at age 19, when I delivered him, I weighed 265. got down to about 190 after him, and went back and forth with each birth of babies.
I had never been as big as I was though in OCT of 06, when my grandmother passed away, and everyone in the family was talking a bout coming out to WA for my sons Graduation the following June. ( I started at 315 in OCT of 06,)I knew I had to do something, so I did weight watchers. I lost 65 lbs by June of 07, and after graduation, I didnt try to lose anymore. It took till DEC of 08 for me to gain back 15 of those lbs. it was in dec of 08 that I thought , " I am going to turn 40 in march of 2010, and I dont want to do that 120lbs overweight" so I also knew I couldnt wait till DEC 09, and go " holy crap, I am going to be 40 in 3 months!" so I knew it was time to start now.
I bought Jillian Michaels book, and read it from cover to cover, and I got the biggest loser workout book and read that cover to cover as well, All before working out at all. DEC 29th, Was my first day at the gym, ( my 16 year old son joined with me,. and kept me going, we would go at night after I got home from work, and having him go with me was a huge help, till I met people thru classes and stuff, he was my gym buddy) and I have gone or worked out, 5 x a week, every week since then. IF I got an injury , I just worked thru it and did other things, Many nights I would come home and have to ice some part of my body, Even when I had Carpal tunnel surgery in April, I still went 5x a week, just did different things.
I joined MFP a couple weeks later, in Jan, and started counting every calorie . I eat 1200 ( that is what Jillian said the ladies on The Biggest Loser eat) and I had a real hard time with eating my exercise calories back, I still dont eat them all, on workout days I eat, in total about 1500, and I burn anywhere from 500-650 depending on the workout. I save calories for wine, cause that is something I still want :drinker: . I dont eat junk really, I dont have cookies , and I dont eat ice cream, not that I dont want it, but cause I fear if I start, I wont stop. I am still not there mentally, But I am hoping I will get there in time.

I work outside of the home and I plan my lunch and snacks every day, I try very hard to not let myself get too hungry, cause I QUICKLY get to the starving point, and that isnt good, cause then you will eat ANYTHING.. I have 4 boys and a husband, but I dont cook for them, cause they dont eat what I eat, ( a son does, but that is all) My husband is still a junk food junkie , and doesnt like healthy foods, so I told him he is on his on, and he is fine with that. its easier with summer cause we just throw different foods on the grill, and I sneak some healthy foods in there for him and he doesnt notice, lol.

Since Jan I have lost 65 lbs, , and I still have 55 more to go. I will rethink things when I get there.

The one thing I do know, is that you have to be mentally ready to do this, its not a quick journey, and you need to be ready for that. YOU HAVE TO BE READY TO DO THIS.. I cant stress that enough, and that comes from a 39 year old gal who has been overweight her whole life!

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    WOW that is a great story and an inspiration. Thank you for sharing. And good luck on the rest of the weight you need to loose. :drinker:
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration! :flowerforyou:
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options
    Aaaah, you are my new hero!!! :drinker:
    Congratulations and the best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading your story. I agree, "ya gotta be ready" and to that I would add, "Have a PLAN." You know you want to include wine in your eating plan, so you have made it work. I take the same approach to eating in restaurants. I try to go places where there is nutritional info and menu information available online, so I can figure out what I am going to order before I get there so I don't get torpedoed by something that looked like a good deal calorie wise, but wasn't.

I am so glad you started your journey while you are still in your thirties. Like you I have tended to be heavy since I was about 10 or 11, with some time spent at pretty close to a normal weight in high school and college, but on my 55th birthday, I realized that about 35 pounds had settled in places that I didn't really care to have it, AND even if it were gone, I would still be about 70 pounds over what I should be for my height. The last straw was having a male acquaintance who had no willpower, and whose wife despaired of ever getting him to lose an ounce, manage to lose 16 pounds in 6 weeks--just by using Smart ones meals for both his lunch and dinner!! :noway: I figured, if he could do it, there were no more excuses for me. :grumble:

I read that people who log their food and track their exercise are more successful at weight loss than those who don't. I also read that in order to really be successful at KEEPING weight off, one should approach the fight as a lifestyle change--not a "diet." I knew I needed to become more active, and I have always liked walking, so I started with a vengeance. I now try to do 24-28 miles a week on the walking trails near my home. I haven't started strength training yet, but that is in the next stage of my plan--just have to reconfigure a spot to do that type of exercise in my home.

I started my journey the day after Easter, and I have lost 27 pounds in 13 weeks.

I eat anything I choose to, BUT I choose wisely. I always eat breakfast, even if it is a nutrition bar, in a pinch. I watch my sodium intake, since I am on medication for high blood pressure. I have a checkup appointment on August 4th, and my doctor is going to be VERY surprised when she sees me, as I will be at least 25 lbs. lighter than when she saw me last in January!.:drinker:

I started off planning to be 100 pounds lighter by my birthday next year, which is in April. I decided to go for broke and shoot for my ideal weight by the 4th of July. Even if I don't quite make it in that time frame, I still feel I will have "won" because I will be healthier than I probably every have been, and lighter too.

Just call me a potato who fell off the couch and started walking !!:laugh: :laugh:

BTW, you are from the same state that I am. I am in the southwest. How about you?

Good luck with your progress.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • RoxieFoston
    Options
    Congratulations. That is great.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

BTW, you are from the same state that I am. I am in the southwest. How about you?

I am just south Of Seattle!

Good luck to you, you have done great so far!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I am just south Of Seattle!

Good luck to you, you have done great so far!

I will wave next time I drive by!! I have family in the Seattle area, so I am well acquainted with the I -5 corridor. I used to live in Olympia.

Thanks for sharing your progress.:flowerforyou:
  • Grate
    Grate Posts: 71
    Options
    Most awesome and very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
    Grate
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    Alot of people have asked me how I have done this, so I thought I would post it here. Hope this helps !

!
    First of all, I have been overweight pretty much my whole life, although, My mother would not agree, But I was, trust me. I started to get "husky" as my dad put it, around age 10, and I by no means was huge, but I was bigger than most girls my age. It continued thru my teen years, and I was married and had my first baby at age 19, when I delivered him, I weighed 265. got down to about 190 after him, and went back and forth with each birth of babies.
    I had never been as big as I was though in OCT of 06, when my grandmother passed away, and everyone in the family was talking a bout coming out to WA for my sons Graduation the following June. ( I started at 315 in OCT of 06,)I knew I had to do something, so I did weight watchers. I lost 65 lbs by June of 07, and after graduation, I didnt try to lose anymore. It took till DEC of 08 for me to gain back 15 of those lbs. it was in dec of 08 that I thought , " I am going to turn 40 in march of 2010, and I dont want to do that 120lbs overweight" so I also knew I couldnt wait till DEC 09, and go " holy crap, I am going to be 40 in 3 months!" so I knew it was time to start now.
    I bought Jillian Michaels book, and read it from cover to cover, and I got the biggest loser workout book and read that cover to cover as well, All before working out at all. DEC 29th, Was my first day at the gym, ( my 16 year old son joined with me,. and kept me going, we would go at night after I got home from work, and having him go with me was a huge help, till I met people thru classes and stuff, he was my gym buddy) and I have gone or worked out, 5 x a week, every week since then. IF I got an injury , I just worked thru it and did other things, Many nights I would come home and have to ice some part of my body, Even when I had Carpal tunnel surgery in April, I still went 5x a week, just did different things.
    I joined MFP a couple weeks later, in Jan, and started counting every calorie . I eat 1200 ( that is what Jillian said the ladies on The Biggest Loser eat) and I had a real hard time with eating my exercise calories back, I still dont eat them all, on workout days I eat, in total about 1500, and I burn anywhere from 500-650 depending on the workout. I save calories for wine, cause that is something I still want :drinker: . I dont eat junk really, I dont have cookies , and I dont eat ice cream, not that I dont want it, but cause I fear if I start, I wont stop. I am still not there mentally, But I am hoping I will get there in time.

I work outside of the home and I plan my lunch and snacks every day, I try very hard to not let myself get too hungry, cause I QUICKLY get to the starving point, and that isnt good, cause then you will eat ANYTHING.. I have 4 boys and a husband, but I dont cook for them, cause they dont eat what I eat, ( a son does, but that is all) My husband is still a junk food junkie , and doesnt like healthy foods, so I told him he is on his on, and he is fine with that. its easier with summer cause we just throw different foods on the grill, and I sneak some healthy foods in there for him and he doesnt notice, lol.

Since Jan I have lost 65 lbs, , and I still have 55 more to go. I will rethink things when I get there.

The one thing I do know, is that you have to be mentally ready to do this, its not a quick journey, and you need to be ready for that. YOU HAVE TO BE READY TO DO THIS.. I cant stress that enough, and that comes from a 39 year old gal who has been overweight her whole life!

I have to add, I dont drink every night, two nights a week is my treat, I was just pointing out that I would rather have a glass of wine, than a bowl of ice cream! :laugh:
  • saralynn321
    Options
    Your story is very inspirational, I just joined yesterday and so far I love this site! Reading your story definitely helped me know that my decision to embark on this journey is a great step in my life! Thank you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing. It is pple like yourself who inspired me to lose this weight once and for all.

Last week I weighed under the Amercian standard for NORMAL!! The first time in 15 years!

You are amazing and I cant wait to see the wonderful things you will accomplish in the next year!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS and great great job!

I just have to ask....how are u not starving!
    I recently bumped up my work-outs and burn 400-600 cals....my goal is about 1600 cals and I am struggling with that
    I'm not a big fruit/veggie fan but eat lots of whole grains, nuts, cheese, yogurt, chicken etc

Kim
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, you are an inspiration.
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    CONGRATS and great great job!

I just have to ask....how are u not starving!
    I recently bumped up my work-outs and burn 400-600 cals....my goal is about 1600 cals and I am struggling with that
    I'm not a big fruit/veggie fan but eat lots of whole grains, nuts, cheese, yogurt, chicken etc

Kim

I dont know, I often wonder that myself! lol I will eat more if I am hungry but I usually dont let myself get to that starving point.. my co-workers say I eat more now than I ever did before, lol.
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options

I dont know, I often wonder that myself! lol I will eat more if I am hungry but I usually dont let myself get to that starving point.. my co-workers say I eat more now than I ever did before, lol.

Oh, how funny! That's exactly what they say to me! They're like "for as long we've known you, you've NEVER eaten breakfast...and here you are eating breakfast AND lunch everyday, and LOSING weight!"
    I've tried explaining the whole "making the right choices, eating healthy and exercising" bit, but have given up and now I just shake my head and smile. :tongue: