Gastric Bypass Surgery

Options
Has anyone else had Gastric Bypass surgery?

I had gastric bypass surgery on April 5, 2011 and have lost over 125 lbs in less than a year! I am looking for friends and people to help motivate me as I have been slacking over the winter and lost my motivation....I have gained 2 lbs and I am slowly getting motivated again being that the weather is getting warmer. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• christina_1011
    christina_1011 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    hi there ....i had gastric bypass about 8 yrs ago ...i had lost alil over 100 lbs ....i never fully reached my goal weight ( i was like 10 lbs away from it ) and got pregnant w/ my youngest who will be 5 in may ....i didnt gain much w/ my pregnancy but after i had her my weight slowly started to creep up ....at one point i had put on half of the weight i had lost .....i was on WW last year and lost some and started MFP about 2 weeks now it is great for motivation and support ...good luck to you on your journey !!
  • smedgell
    smedgell Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I had gastric bypass 5 years ago in June 2007. While I initially lost 80 of the 110 I needed to lose, a non-related surgery and going back to grad school resulted in my gaining half of it back (in other words--old habits die hard!). I am now working on getting back on track. Even though I've only been on MFP for 4 days, the tools to help me keep track of food and exercise is helping. I haven't weighed myself (and won't for another few days) but something must be happening because my energy is up! Best of luck with your journey!
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi I've had two different bariatric surgeries but not the bypass.
  • Darhep
    Darhep Posts: 25
    Options
    I had it done in march of 2007, down 193 lbs, but the weight started to creep up again. I went back to the old post op type plan. High protein, lower carbs and calories. Highest since 180, currently 172 and I just started here this week. Good luck and congrats on getting back on track
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Me! 5 years ago. I lost a total of 138. Over the last 18 months about 20 pounds have snuck back up and I am so afraid of going back to where I once was! So I am here to lose it all for good and get toned instead.
  • Darhep
    Options
    That is also why I am here. I NEVER want to go back to anywhere close to where I started. I am on the scale weekly to begin with, so caught it before I blinked and had put more on than I did.
  • kdwatkinspc
    Options
    Had gastric bypass 10 years ago lost 165 in the past year and a half I don't know if it's because of my hormones or what I have gained 40 of it back. Sunday I started the P.I.N.K. program so we will see. But I do know sugar is our enemy and carbs.
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass July 2011! I'm down 80 lbs and have 36 to go. I've hit a plateau and haven't lost any weight in almost 2 months :( Hoping tracking my food intake helps me figure out where I'm going wrong. I can't figure out if I'm eating too much or not enough?!?! I'm eating around 900-1100 calories a day, 80-90 grams of protein, and 120 grams of carbs a day. Any suggestions?
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how you can gain weight with a bypass as you cant actually eat any food with it according to the doctors here you have to live on spoonfuls of high calorie prescription mush for the rest of your life.

I know people who get gastric bands and gain weight but they dont stop you eating icecream or burgers!
  • Darhep
    Options
    I had gastric bypass July 2011! I'm down 80 lbs and have 36 to go. I've hit a plateau and haven't lost any weight in almost 2 months :( Hoping tracking my food intake helps me figure out where I'm going wrong. I can't figure out if I'm eating too much or not enough?!?! I'm eating around 900-1100 calories a day, 80-90 grams of protein, and 120 grams of carbs a day. Any suggestions?

Too many carbs and not enough protein. My weight loss stalled as well because of the same issue. Shoot for 120 grams of protein and less than 15 grams of carbs per serving. So watch pastas, breads, rice they are no-no's. this site will help you keep better track.
  • Darhep
    Options
    I dont understand how you can gain weight with a bypass as you cant actually eat any food with it according to the doctors here you have to live on spoonfuls of high calorie prescription mush for the rest of your life.

I know people who get gastric bands and gain weight but they dont stop you eating icecream or burgers!

It is true that bypass or bands do not stop you from eating ice cream or burgers, it is only a tool, not a cure. So if you go back to your old habits you will gain your weight back. I eat normal food, a lot smaller quantities but if you are not careful you can eat every half to hour and the calories add up. High calorie foods are out so I am not sure why the physicians are telling people that, it is low calorie, low carb and higher protein.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Me about 9 years ago - lost 200lbs. I have gained back about 45-50, so now I am working on it again.
  • stephslosinglbs
    stephslosinglbs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input, I just changed my goals and am going to give it a try!