Protein Suggestions.

Options
I am currently re-vamping my diet & I have a goal to hit a pretty high amout of protein a day. I'm having trouble reaching it. I would {LOVE} your suggestions, recipies & certain foods you eat that are high in protein, but not high in fat & sugar.
Also I cannot eat Wheat products!
Thanks.
Jakurek

Replies

• jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love hummus & veggies for protein, also my low sugar/low sodium peanut butter with apple slices.
  • JFunchion
    JFunchion Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks Jaxbeck, right now fruit gets my sugar area to high. So i'm trying to stay away from a lot of fruit.
  • JFunchion
    Options
    Also NOTHING processed!
  • heysix
    heysix Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Greek yogurt. The plain stuff. it has 23g of protien for a cup. I only eat 1/2 cup at a time. I know it's bad,but I add a splenda to sweeten it up a little. sometimes I'll put fruit over the top. I've noticed a difference since I stared eating it.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites, chicken/tuna........Have you considered protein supplementation with whey/casein powder?
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    egg whites (make an omlette), chicken (options are endless), tuna, turkey, greek yoghurt, whey protein powder...
  • JFunchion
    Options
    Jacwhite22 I've been eating all of these things. Except yogurt becasue I cant find any that low in sugar. I did just buy a whey protein yesterday. But eating it more than once a day seems outrageous!!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Lean Gr Beef
    Uncured Ham
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    FF Cheese
    Feta Cheese
    Egg Whites/Eggs
    Tofu
    Edamame nuts
    Almonds
    Cottage Cheese
    Ezekiel bread

I also like Think Thin bars (all natural, no sugar) and Protein2Go drink packets, if you don't mind processed products.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Jacwhite22 I've been eating all of these things. Except yogurt becasue I cant find any that low in sugar. I did just buy a whey protein yesterday. But eating it more than once a day seems outrageous!!

Why is eating protein powder outrageous more than once a day? You can put it into a lot of different things to boost your protein content. As a shake, yeah it gets boring. I hear vanilla whey powder in pancakes is delish!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You could try Tempeh as well as Stomie's list.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Beans. Kidney beans, red beans, black beans, any kind of bean. I prefer chicken breasts and fish though.
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options

Why? Because it's not "real" food? Whey is a byproduct of the cheese making process. It's skimmed off the top of cheese as it hardens. It's real food.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Why is eating protein powder outrageous more than once a day? You can put it into a lot of different things to boost your protein content. As a shake, yeah it gets boring. I hear vanilla whey powder in pancakes is delish!

I will often have a shake for Breakfast and a shake for lunch. Oh, speaking of that, you can also try PB2
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

My wife adds vanilla whey to her iced coffee. She loves it. lol
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this list. I was wondering the same going low carb/high protein.
  • JFunchion
    Options
    Thanks! Only reason I said that about the whey was becasue I don't love it & was hoping I didn't have to use that as a good chunk of my daily protein! I guess I just need to get creative with it & mix it in with a lot of things!
  • JenChis22
    JenChis22 Posts: 25
    Options
    orgainc raw nuts and nut butters.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Thanks! Only reason I said that about the whey was becasue I don't love it & was hoping I didn't have to use that as a good chunk of my daily protein! I guess I just need to get creative with it & mix it in with a lot of things!

I dont know what you weigh or what your goal is each day but you look pretty small.....I am guessing you will probably need to supplement with it to stay within your calorie limits......Its just an easy way to get your protein up without adding a ton of calories
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    orgainc raw nuts and nut butters.

While nuts are good, they are not really a GREAT source of protein.....more of a great source of healthy fats......and also very high in calorie (because each gram of fat has 9 cals) so is needs to be eaten in moderation. The average serving of peanut butter (2 Tbsp) contains 16g of fat but only 8g of Protein.