Breakfast ideas...

Options
2»

Replies

• grahamckas88
    grahamckas88 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "one the go" breakfasts is a whole wheat bagel thin toasted, topped with a smear of peanut butter and sliced banana. Yummy and It holds me over until lunchtime.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    VANILLA ALMOND PROTEIN BAR
    1/3 cup Body Fortress whey protein powder, 1 scoop vanilla flavor (I use Body By Vi)
    1/2 ounce almonds, finely ground
    2 teaspoons coconut flour
    2 teaspoons granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
    3 teaspoons water

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add the granular Splenda, if using. In another small bowl, mix the liquid Splenda, if using, with 2 teaspoons of the water. Add 2 teaspoons of the water to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until it is as well mixed as possible. Add up to 1 more teaspoon of water if necessary and work this in with your hands. Don't be tempted to add more water no matter how dry it seems. The more water you add, the sticker the bar will be and the worse it will stick to your teeth. The dough will eventually come together when you firmly knead it by squeezing it into a ball in your hand. The consistency will be very stiff like modelling clay. Shape into a bar. This will keep pretty well at room temperature but I would keep it out of extreme heat.

Makes 1 serving

VARIATION: Replace 1/4 teaspoon of the water with a flavoring extract of your choice.

With granular Splenda:
    Per Serving: 247 Calories; 10g Fat; 30g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
    Per Serving: 243 Calories; 10g Fat; 30g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

ALMOND CAPPUCCINO PROTEIN BAR
    1/3 cup Syntrax Nectar Lattes Cappuccino whey protein powder, 1 scoop (I use Body By Vi)
    2 teaspoons coconut flour
    2 1/2-3 teaspoons water

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Add the granular Splenda, if using. In another small bowl, mix the liquid Splenda, if using, with 2 teaspoons of the water. Add 2 teaspoons of the water to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until it is as well mixed as possible. Add up to 1 more teaspoon of water if necessary and work this in with your hands. Don't be tempted to add more water no matter how dry it seems. The more water you add, the sticker the bar will be and the worse it will stick to your teeth. The dough will eventually come together when you firmly knead it by squeezing it into a ball in your hand. The consistency will be very stiff like modelling clay. Shape into a bar. This will keep pretty well at room temperature but I would keep it out of extreme heat.

Makes 1 serving

With granular Splenda:
    Per Serving: 197 Calories; 8g Fat; 27g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
    Per Serving: 193 Calories; 8g Fat; 27g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

PEANUT BUTTER ALMOND PROTEIN BAR
    1/3 cup Body Fortress whey protein powder, 1 scoop vanilla flavor (I use Body By Vi)
    2 teaspoons PB2 *
    2 1/2-3 teaspoons water

Makes 1 serving

* Powdered peanut butter.

With granular Splenda:
    Per Serving: 245 Calories; 10g Fat; 31g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
    Per Serving: 241 Calories; 10g Fat; 31g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
  • binderde
    binderde Posts: 23
    Options
    I eat a 6oz cup of Chobani yogurt or dannon lite and fit yogurt(any flavor for both brands) and a 1/4 cup of grape nuts with either a glass of 1% milk or OJ(your choice again) and that is usually under 300 calories and it gives you a good balance, plus the yogurt is good for protein as well as the milk.
  • NeilWin
    NeilWin Posts: 21
    Options
    Simple porridge. 180ml of semi skimmed milk and a big handful of blueberries. For afters, chopped walnuts mixed with diced pink lady apple and maple syrup.
  • raggedyangst
    Options
    Why do you freeze the bran cereal?
  • Jenny1061
    Jenny1061 Posts: 29
    Options
    Keep a baggie full of plain quick cooking oats, a bowl and a spoon at your desk... no need to refrigerate and you can microwave it to cook it. 1/2 cup is a serving it's 150 cals and will keep you full till lunch.

you can also mix in some cinnamon or all spice, or even pumpkin pie spice all in the same bag.

simple, yummy, cheap and healthy.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    do you have access to a fridge? Canadian bacon warmed up in micro but stored in the fridge with skim milk boiled eggs, greek yogurt.
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    bump
  • jaxboxchick
    Options
    I love the Jimmy Dean frozen breakfast sandwiches they have that are healthier than the regular ones. They cook perfectly!
  • ayla2eh
    ayla2eh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Since you have a microwave, what about instant oatmeal? I use a whole grain oatmeal from Quaker Oats that is really filling.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Besides my breakfast stuff (greek yogurt with berries, scrambled egg whites and oatmeal) I have raw carrots, mushrooms and spinach I snack on all day while at work.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make my green monster for breakfast.

2 Servings:

1 individual container greek yogurt
    1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    2 cups fresh baby spinach
    handful of ice cubes

Mix it up in a blender and it tastes just like a strawberry/banana smoothie.

This looks great except for....doesn't the spinach make it taste nasty??
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

2 Servings:

1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    handful of ice cubes

Nope. I buy the bags of the baby spinach. Its not the runny spinach from a can. My fiancee hates most vegetables but she drinks one of these every morning with me and likes them.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Portable breakfast ideas I like:

if you don't have far to go, you can make a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese, and veggie or real bacon on a multigrain english muffin, wrap it in aluminum foil and eat it when you get there. I make one that is only 290 calories and it tides me over until lunch!

You can do a half-calorie bagel with peanut butter or cream cheese (again wrap it up and take it with you)

if you have access to a kettle, you can take a package of instant oatmeal and eat it there

you can also take a serving of cereal and a single milk and have cereal at work....but i personally don't find that too filling.

you could make a parfait and take it with you: 1/2 cup yogurt or greek yogurt, 1/2 berries, 1/3 cup granola is quite substantial, filling, and not too high in calories.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

2 Servings:

1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    handful of ice cubes

Nope. I buy the bags of the baby spinach. Its not the runny spinach from a can. My fiancee hates most vegetables but she drinks one of these every morning with me and likes them.

Does the spinach discolour it? I love all those ingredients, but I don't know if I could get past a gross colour
  • tarakay84
    tarakay84 Posts: 69
    Options
    bump
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I enjoy "non-breakfast' foods for breaky. Stir-frys are a fave, and they are yummy as leftovers. Quick and easy. Buy some stirfry protein options (chicken, pork etc), frozen stirfry veggies, brown rice (I make enough rice to last me for a few days).
    For the traditional breakfast ideas--instant oatmeal, mixed berries (hemp heart seeds sprinkled on top are great for protein), smoothies, fruit.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

2 Servings:

1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    handful of ice cubes

Does the spinach discolour it? I love all those ingredients, but I don't know if I could get past a gross colour

Yes it discolors it. Has a brownish green color to it. Besides that it taste just like a strawberry/banana smothie.
  • dblum2
    dblum2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Goldy,

Any idea on the Calorie count for this Green Monster?

Thanks