Personal Trainer????

Options
2»

Replies

• BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a personal trainer, it's the cost that is my big problem. They are asking me to pay $300 down and $186 bi-weekly for 14 weeks to have a trainer twice a week for 6 months. I don't know about anyone else, but that seems like an awful lot of money to me. Can anyone who has a trainer tell me if that is a reasonable price?
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a personal trainer, it's the cost that is my big problem. They are asking me to pay $300 down and $186 bi-weekly for 14 weeks to have a trainer twice a week for 6 months. I don't know about anyone else, but that seems like an awful lot of money to me. Can anyone who has a trainer tell me if that is a reasonable price?

I don't know if that's standard, but I pay around $45 for a 60 minute session (when I buy a larger package of sessions that I can use when I like).
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I used a trainer and loved it, it gave me the basis to continue on my own.

My gym also offers group training and it only costs $30 a month on top of the monthly gym fee - this service is hosted by a trainer with anywhere from 6-20 people in the class and they change the routine every week.

We may also want to look into partner sessions, this way it will cut the cost of a personal trainer in half.

Good luck to you

My Y has a similar program. $95 for 3 months, with 2x/week sessions. Group size varies from about 5-10. It's the best investment I ever made. My trainer, The Sadist, pushes me to levels I would never have thought possible and wouldn't have done on my own. And now I can push myself much harder outside of our small group classes, too, but I still keep going because she kicks my butt and I love/hate her for it with every bead of sweat.

I couldn't financially swing the cost that some of you are paying so I'm thankful to have this great, lower cost option.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The purpose of a trainer is to assist you on issues you can't seem to fix on your own. As a trainer myself, I then take it upon myself to create a program I know you will be able to do and continue with the rest of your life. I don't WANT to keep you forever. I would hope that after 6 months, we would be done unless you have more than 50lbs to lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^Awesome and someone that loves what they do Apparently! Kudo's!

i agree 100% as a trainer as well, i take my job seriously in setting up a program to help you get to where you want to be. i think they're great ideas especially if you're new to the gym setting. proper form, workouts, they give you the tools to help you be successful long term. as stated we dont want you for forever, (not because we dont like you) but because it is our job to help you to get successful on your own! :D
  • sabawden
    sabawden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    im curious b/c i've been thinking about doing this at my Y- how does your personal trainer work with groups? Does the trainer spend some time with everyone, or do you actually do sit ups, etc all at the same time?

I used a trainer and loved it, it gave me the basis to continue on my own.

My gym also offers group training and it only costs $30 a month on top of the monthly gym fee - this service is hosted by a trainer with anywhere from 6-20 people in the class and they change the routine every week.

We may also want to look into partner sessions, this way it will cut the cost of a personal trainer in half.

Good luck to you

My Y has a similar program. $95 for 3 months, with 2x/week sessions. Group size varies from about 5-10. It's the best investment I ever made. My trainer, The Sadist, pushes me to levels I would never have thought possible and wouldn't have done on my own. And now I can push myself much harder outside of our small group classes, too, but I still keep going because she kicks my butt and I love/hate her for it with every bead of sweat.

I couldn't financially swing the cost that some of you are paying so I'm thankful to have this great, lower cost option.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I just got a trainer - but I shopped around first. I had heard a 'trainer' at my mom's gym tell a woman that she really needed to change her white wonder bread to the honey wheat kind if she wanted to lose weight faster - and he had her doing things that even my fat, untrained brain knew were bad form. Don't be afraid to talk to a few different people and find out if they're certified and what their experience is!

I did a lot of learning on my own too - I suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women - I learned a LOT. And then got a trainer anyway - but the book cost $9 used on Amazon, which gave me time to save up the $$ for my new guy.

Edit: clarify sentence
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Its very useful to hire a trainer, even if it is just a for a few sessions. It helps you to understand equipment and make sure you're using proper form at the very least!

edit: I agree with anyone who said to shop around for the right trainer. Check their background, certifications, philosophies, etc.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I would watch the trainers at your gym for a while to see who is worth it. At my gym there's one really good trainer, another that I think would be ok (hasn't been there long enough to tell) and several others that teach improper form. I had the consultation/sales pitch and the trainer asked me why I would want to lift heavy weights with my husband. That was when I stopped listening to him.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like you can't do this on your own then I suggest you try shopping around the area and look for a lower price. If not then nothing is wrong with getting a personal trainer. I am a pt and we know our clients aren't permanent clients. Our job is to help you get on your feet. If anyone you trust can recommend one to you, all the better. There are people who know what they're doing and there are some who don't.