I need a low cal salad dressing recipe

Options
dme1977
dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
I am out of my light raspberry vineagrette and i wanted to know if anyone out there has a low cal salad dressing recipe...I googled it and most of the ones they showed are oil and vineagr based and have about 350+ cals/serving ...

thats a big NO No!!! it has to have like 150 or less per 2 TBSP.
any suggestions??????

Replies

• kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I only use good quality Balsamic Vinegar, red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar as dressing. It's 10-15 calories max. I like my salads tart, especially with beets, walnuts and a bit of goat cheese.
  • hyfrydle
    hyfrydle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar is 70 Kcal per tablespoon. where did you see the 350kcal dressings? that's very high? perhaps that was for the whole salad?
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the "Marie's Greek Vinaigrette. It's amazing & only has 110 calories & 12 grams of fat, just 2 from sat. It also has no sugar. It's perfect IMO
  • dme1977
    Options
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar is 70 Kcal per tablespoon. where did you see the 350kcal dressings? that's very high? perhaps that was for the whole salad?

maybe it was... Id NEVER use that much while trying to lose weight...
  • dme1977
    Options
    I only use good quality Balsamic Vinegar, red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar as dressing. It's 10-15 calories max. I like my salads tart, especially with beets, walnuts and a bit of goat cheese.

i thought i was the only one who liked BEETS in my salads... too funny
  • dme1977
    Options
    I LOVE the "Marie's Greek Vinaigrette. It's amazing & only has 110 calories & 12 grams of fat, just 2 from sat. It also has no sugar. It's perfect IMO

this is homemade??? Ill google it and see what it comes up with...thanks.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Plain old balsamic vinegar delicious
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    I use la choy sauces the have a wide variety that range from 10-35 calories a serving
    now these arent dressings they are stir fry sauces and teriyaki sauce and orange chicken sauce you get the point things like that but they are SO FULL of flavor add some hot sauce to them and you wont even know your eating a salad
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Salsa.

Seriously. And if you don't like the amount of sodium in the jarred varieties, you can always try making your own.

Another thing you can look for, if you're going to the store anyway (I'm assuming you don't just have random salad dressing ingredients lying around the house) are any of the Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings. We have the Classic Ranch and the Creamy Parmesan (I think) at home. They generally taste pretty good, are generally low fat and low calorie, and aren't any worse than any of the other salad dressings for sodium. At Publix they're usually in the fruits and veggies department in the cooler near all the salad mixes.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I find balsamic vinegar just a little too tart for me. Any other suggestions?
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Salsa.

Seriously. And if you don't like the amount of sodium in the jarred varieties, you can always try making your own.

Another thing you can look for, if you're going to the store anyway (I'm assuming you don't just have random salad dressing ingredients lying around the house) are any of the Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based dressings. We have the Classic Ranch and the Creamy Parmesan (I think) at home. They generally taste pretty good, are generally low fat and low calorie, and aren't any worse than any of the other salad dressings for sodium. At Publix they're usually in the fruits and veggies department in the cooler near all the salad mixes.

I know what your talking about they are very good my mom has a bottle in the kitchen thats 55 cals per table spoon
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    I also use vinegars. Just plain vinegars. Balsamic. Or to cut the strong balsamic flavor, mix it with some white wine vinegar, or just use white wine vinegar with some oregano for flavor (depending on the other ingredients).
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Salsa.

I know what your talking about they are very good my mom has a bottle in the kitchen thats 55 cals per table spoon
    There are salsas that are as low as 15 calories per tbsp, too.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    Here are a few that I know of.

Basic Vinaigrette
    Perfect for any mixed green salad.

Rub the inside of a small mixing bowl with a crushed garlic clove: discard clove. Add 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1/3 cup red wine vinegar: whisk until smooth. Whisk in 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon honey. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

34 calories, 3 grams fat and 63 milligrams sodium per 2-tablespoon serving

Orange-Ginger Dressing
    Use to dress baby bok choy, bean sprouts or other fresh Asian greens.

In a small bowl, use a fork to blend 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate or orange marmalade, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce. Add 2 teaspoons sesame oil. Stir in 2 tablespoons sliced scallion greens, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, and pepper to taste.

42 calories, 2 grams fat and 122 milligrams sodium per 2-tablespoon serving

Apricot Dressing
    Delicious with baby spinach or other tender salad greens.

In a small bowl, use a fork to blend 1 tablespoon grainy mustard and 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar. Stir in 1/2 cup apricot or peach nectar, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

37 calories, 2 grams fat and 33 milligrams sodium per 2-tablespoon serving.

Ranch Dressing
    Use this fat-free dressing for any crisp salad.

Sprinkle 1 garlic clove with coarse salt. Mash to a smooth paste with the flat side of a large knife. Transfer garlic to a small bowl and whisk in 3/4 cup buttermilk, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, dash of Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons sliced scallion greens, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, pinch of dried thyme and some freshly ground black pepper.

13 calories, 0 fat and 30 milligrams sodium per 2-tablespoon serving

Maple-Balsamic Dressing
    Perfect for bitter greens like radicchio, endive or escarole.

In a small bowl, use a fork to blend 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard and 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Taste and season with salt and cracked pepper.

55 calories, 3 grams fat and 57 milligrams sodium per 2-tablespoon serving
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Instead of balsamic vinegar, use a balsamic glaze.
    Balsamic glaze is just balsamic vinegar that has been reduced so its thicker and sticky.
    Publix has Russo Gia.
    Or make your own by simmmering vinegar until it is reduced by 2/3
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Jenready,

I just stole all your recipes
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    I don't measure I just mess with the ratios by taste/what I need for that meal (more/less fat for example)

dijon mustard
    lemon juice
    salt and pepper
    little extra virgin olive oil depending on your taste/caloric/fat goals
    I also all fresh or dried herbs if I have them on hand thyme/rosemary/basil all yummy!

I like this one of fresh kale/carrots/red cabbage salad
    seasoned rice vinegar
    just a dab of sesame oil
    pinch of sugar/stevia/agave whatever sweet thing you like
    salt and pepper
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Season some greek yogurt. It makes a nice, thick dip or dressing. If it's too thick, add a bit of milk or buttermilk. I throw in some garlic crushed or powder, oregano, basil, salt, pepper whatever sounds good. Stir it up and let it sit for a while and you will have a yummy dressing without the guilt.

If you want it richer, throw in a little mayo, then it will really taste like ranch.

I just had an artichoke dipped in Greek Yog dipping sauce for lunch. Yummmm.

I often use vinegars with a drizzle of olive or flavored olive oil. Right now I have a lemon infused one that is really good.
  • Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    SALSA! Tomatillo has only 10 cals per 2 tbls
  • Deletrius
    Deletrius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe but if you're looking for low calorie I suggest Walden Farms salad dressing. They have 0 calories and actually taste really good! You can order online or I know some grocery stores carry their stuff.

http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html