Help?!? I wanna give up!

Options
I have been dieting and working out for 2 1/2 weeks now. I was losing weight good about 3 pounds each week, but this morning I weighed myself and gained 2 freaken pounds! UGH. I am the type to get very unmotivated very fast. I need some help on what I can do to see results the fastest, but healthiest way possible. I workout usually everyday, my legs stay sore. I eat close to the amount of calories my app tells me to. Should I not add my exercise calories back? Should I workout harder? I just need some help before I give up totally!

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If you've never worked out before these last two weeks and suddenly gone at it like mad, its probably water cos your muscles are trying to heal and you aren't giving them chance if you aren't having any rest days... try having a few days off, drink loads of water and cut your carbs (no wheat based cereal, bread etc) minimal or no carbs with dinner and the water will come off quicker.

I lost 7lbs in one week first week I dropped all white carbs, only carbs come from fruit and veg... you'll get any additional water off fast but if you go back to eating lots of carbs again it will go back on again, works better if you stick to a low carb diet.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    2.5 weeks and you are ready to give up? You are not giving your body time to even adapt to your new lifestyle. How long do figure it took you to put the weight on that you want to lose? You need to keep doing what you are doing, working out hard, drinking lots of water, and staying within your calorie range. Might also suggest if you want help w/ your diet making your diary public so others can see what you are eating.
  • AYS12
    AYS12 Posts: 11
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP!! It sounds like you are gaining muscle, which means you are on the right track. Just keep at it and you will see the scale drop. Stay Focused! :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    First thing, you will not lose each and every week while on this journey. 99.9% of people will see small gains every few weeks, stay the same some weeks etc.

How close are you to TOM? That can cause you to gain a few pounds however it is different for everyone. Is your water intake ok? Sodium intake low? Are you measuring/weighing everything you eat/drink? Getting the proper amount for calories burned through exercise (MFP tends to over estimate calories burned and machines don't give the most accurate number either).

How often do you weigh yourself? Our weights naturally fluctuate during the day and from day to day which is why it's recommended to only weigh once per week tops in order to get an accurate look at what changes are happening.

You need to have rest days in terms of exercise. Your muscles hold onto water to repair themselves. That can cause gains.

Don't freak out and say you wanna give up over every little gain. It will happen. Unless you ate 7000 EXTRA calories above maintance you didn't gain fat weight. RELAX!
  • ladyamandajane
    Options
    dont give up, you will regret it!!! its happened to us all, been good got on the scales and weight a lb heavier, you have to learn not to completely rely on the scales, measure your body and then measure again after one month and see what you have lost.

Remember its not a sprint, I have been doing this for 7 weeks today and have lost 9lb, admittedly last week I was away with my Fiance and eat out so the last few days has been a struggle, but you have to start a new day fresh and get back into it, think about the goals you want to achieve and think how great you will feel and look when the lbs have come off. Be strong and take support from your MFP friends.
    :flowerforyou:
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    well I can't offer any advice since I'm going through the same thing. Yesterday I was so excited to see the scale fall below the 180 mark, finally I was in the 170's.. 179.8 to be exact! until today, I'm back at 180.4. Prior to this, I was at 182 for 3 weeks, despite cutting my calories, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong either.. I won't give up though... I don't have a lot of time for formal exercise, but I do what I can.. I'll pick up some weights and do maybe 10-12 reps of 6 exercises or I'll do maybe 10-15 squats a few times a day.. but yeah, it's frustrating :sad:
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Give it much more time! Took a long time to get to where you are and will take a while to get back to where you want unfortunately, but we're here to support you!
  • mykahlio1
    mykahlio1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you we must have started at the same time, our goal is almost the same too. I lost 4 lbs the first week and exercised the he'll outta myself week two I went up 1 1/2 lbs and was ticked off so I tried working out so much doing dancing/ aerobics I hurt my knee so I took a few days off then started walking and took a day off and today I weighed in back at the full 4 lbs lost . It's easy to get discouraged but you have to think of the reasons why you want to lose weight in the first place and keep at it. I'm trying to look at it like any other addiction some people are addicted to drugs or alcohol my body is addicted to being larger than it should be so I refuse to quit. Your quite a bit younger than I am I wish I had taken it more seriously at your age so I wouldn't have to battle so hard now plus now I'm severely insulin resistant which makes it even harder to lose weight but I do t want to become diabetic. If you want to add me I would love to be your friend and we can help encourage each other.
  • gg9nerak
    gg9nerak Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I get unmotivated fast, too...but this time, I didn't and after 2.5 months I started losing in noticeable inches...not necessarily lbs. but that will come. I look better and have dropped a few sizes. Hang on...it is like rolling a small snowball downhill. It takes time to build up momentum.
  • runderhi
    runderhi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey - this might be a bit obvious but where are you in your monthly cycle - I know that you can fluctuate up to as much as 4-5 lbs in water retention during the build up to a period . Just a thought ..................
  • amandabateman411
    Options
    I don't know when to expect my period. I had a miscarriage at the first of Feb. I have spotted since then but I am not sure what to expect right now.
  • runderhi
    runderhi Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ohhh so sorry to hear that :( Your body is probably still recovering - go easy on your self X
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I feel like this most Mondays! Its hard when you don't see good results every week but keep going. Don't give up now. When I started I used the 5 week goal weight as my target, work towards that its only been 2 weeks.
  • Doris5237
    Options
    Losing weight is very difficult. I wouldn't weigh everyday, cause your weight goes up and down. Also if your exercising it causes muscle which is good (but muscle weighs more than fat). Also go for the long haul. Try not to lose a ridiculous amount of weight in a short time. Better off to go the slow route. You get more calories and more likely to stick with it. None of us put this weight on in a day, and it is not going to come off in a day. Reward yourself when you reach small mile stones on your weight loss. Time flies and before you know it you will have reached your goal. Hang in there you can do this.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I had hit a milestone like this in my journy too. I was down to 271 then slowly gained back up to 275. My pants got bigger and my stock was getting smaller. I put inches on chest, legs and arms though. I was putting more muscle on then I was losing fat.

You can vary your weight yourself if you choose. Drink lots of water before weigh in and you will weigh more. Try to only drink enough to survive and you will weigh less.