How dirty are you?

Options
stcar
stcar Posts: 207 Member
Just wondering, since my workouts always seem to get put on the back burner in favour of my housework (I work full time, have a house with a yard, etc and a child and am a bit ocd). Do you all look past the dinner dishes and laundry until the weekends? What do you let slide at home to get your workout in?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I let them slide and get yelled at by the wife.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to time management. You might find this article interesting:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/are-you-as-busy-as-you-think.html

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize. And have your family members help out with chores. :)
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i do one deep cleaning a week and thats usually on saturday. dishes always have to be done and so does my yard ;)...but not my husband. ha.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Dishes every day (or we'd have none). Vacuuming, laundry and bathrooms wait until weekends which makes me sad since I feel like I spend my entire weekend cleaning.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I let a lot of housecleaning slide till the weekend. But honestly I probably would whether I worked out or not.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Dishes are washed whilst I'm preparing food

I can't stand mess anywhere, I hate how my boyfriend leaves crap everywhere, he opens something and leaves the top off. Takes his clothes off and makes no attempt to put them away

ARGH
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hire someone to help if you can
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I hate mess. Unfortunately, I don't have the time and energy to be cleaning. As I'm so busy, my fiancé cleans the house. It's never anywhere near as clean and tidy as I'd like, and it's certainly well 'lived in', but I get over the guilt by knowing that I'm relying on him and that I'm not responsible.

That's not to say I think he does anything less than an amazing job. It sounds like I do! In reality, I think he's fantastic, and so supportive, and sure the dishes pile up on occasion but it's a lot for one guy. He gets up early sometimes to do the laundry, he washes the dishes (fairly) regularly, he wipes rooms down and vacuums on occasion. I'm very lucky.

Additionally, I would wash my own dishes if that were all I had to do, but my fiancé's a 'clean in bulk' kind of guy. Once he's started putting dishes and trays on the side, I just put mine down as well.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Dishes are washed whilst I'm preparing food

I can't stand mess anywhere, I hate how my boyfriend leaves crap everywhere, he opens something and leaves the top off. Takes his clothes off and makes no attempt to put them away

ARGH

i think they all do this....we have a hamper 3 feet from the bed but his clothes never make it there. men will be men ;) cereal bowls in the basement, protein shakers in the garage, wrappings everywhere.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother with two kids, full time job, house with yard, and 2 dogs. So I know about time management. how I do it.
    1. Ride my bike to work as much as I can.
    2. Instead of spending the 45 minutes in traffic, I spend 45 in the gym and 15 on the road.
    3. My son is responsible for dishes and keeping the kitchen clean
    4. My daughter is responsible for the laundry
    5. I plan out all the meals for the week and cook them all on sunday. Then I just need to heat it up.
    6. Sunday is my day to scrub the house and do the yard.
    7. Take the dogs to the park and walk aroung the park instead of just standing there watching them play.
    8. Durning the week I only worry about the trash and small orginazational items which I do as I'm getting everything ready for the next day.

You can fit it in, you just need to be crative over how you do it.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I invite people over for dinner as an excuse to clean my house in preparation.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ironman training started in Dec. My Christmas tree is still up and I dont care even a little bit.
  • mustangbass
    mustangbass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One bedroom apartment, two cats: 15-20 minutes a day tops! Washer-dryer in my apt, I do it while I'm doing something else. I have a routine that I follow, so I go into auto-pilot and it's done before I realize it. If I do get busy and can't cleanup I don't sweat it - it will be done soon enough. Good luck - find a new plan Stan and set yourself free!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I was thinking of posting the very same thing.

I love to keep my house very clean. Now that I am trying to work out at least 1-2 hrs everyday every other week I find that the time I used to devote to scrubbing something is now spent exercising.

My house is less tidy but my body is better! I have learned to let go of my cleaning OCD. Because I need to exercise.

I'm glad others have this difficulty too.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Ironman training started in Dec. My Christmas tree is still up and I dont care even a little bit.

Love this!
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    SLEEP LOOOOL. But srsly between work and house work I've cut back to 6-7 hours a night on the weekdays to fit in all of my workouts.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't do housework thru the week, that's what my kids are for. lol
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I try to get the cooking dishes done before we eat, anything leftover should be done before bedtime (tv commercial breaks are great for that). All other cleaning, unless it is a spill or similar, has to wait for Saturday. I may do the kitchen floor more often, and the bathroom if I want to have a nice soak...
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't do housework as I am a man.

>ducks for cover<
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother with two kids, full time job, house with yard, and 2 dogs. So I know about time management. how I do it.
    1. Ride my bike to work as much as I can.
    2. Instead of spending the 45 minutes in traffic, I spend 45 in the gym and 15 on the road.
    3. My son is responsible for dishes and keeping the kitchen clean
    4. My daughter is responsible for the laundry
    5. I plan out all the meals for the week and cook them all on sunday. Then I just need to heat it up.
    6. Sunday is my day to scrub the house and do the yard.
    7. Take the dogs to the park and walk aroung the park instead of just standing there watching them play.
    8. Durning the week I only worry about the trash and small orginazational items which I do as I'm getting everything ready for the next day.

You can fit it in, you just need to be crative over how you do it.
    Just what I needed, a schedule...I'll steal this one! Thank you!!