No Weight Loss

Options
Hey all,
I'm new here but I had a question. In general I do not eat junk foods such as chips or chocolate (very rarely) and I usually eat pretty healthy but yet I gain weight, not lose it. Any ideas what else I can do? I usually go for a walk in nice weather for about an hour or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hey all,
    I'm new here but I had a question. In general I do not eat junk foods such as chips or chocolate (very rarely) and I usually eat pretty healthy but yet I gain weight, not lose it. Any ideas what else I can do? I usually go for a walk in nice weather for about an hour or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Write down everything you eat and count calories. Eating healthy doesn't mean eat less.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way but for some reason I never lost any weight. People would even comment about how health I eat all the time.

I would encourage you to log what you eat for a week, not even trying to diet, just to really see how many calories you eat.

I wish I did this before I started my journey!!

Then if you are at a deficit even after not trying, I would recommend to see a dietician/physician with a nutrition background. There may be a bigger than you diet causing the problem.
  • armyangel88
    Options
    In inputting today so far what I ate, I'm still well under my suggested calorie intake, and I've been eating this way for quite a long time now (1200 cals/day) but I'll give it a try for a week and hopefully see some improvement. Unfortunately I can't throw much exercise into the mix since I'm stuck in classes all day.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Its not always what you eat but how much - portions and how often. Having a salad but adding dressings or full fat coleslaws can increase the calories to more than a big mac meal! Drinks can also add 'hiden' calories also. Either that or your not eating enough, you'll be able to use mfp to find the right balance.
  • armyangel88
    Options
    Its not always what you eat but how much - portions and how often. Having a salad but adding dressings or full fat coleslaws can increase the calories to more than a big mac meal! Drinks can also add 'hiden' calories also. Either that or your not eating enough, you'll be able to use mfp to find the right balance.
    Usually I eat maybe once or twice a day. Lately my diet has been as follows:
    Breakfast (615am) - a small bowl of kellogs mini wheats - little bites - chocolate with no milk added. (thats usually about 95 cals or so)
    Lunch - none
    Dinner - usually a warm meal like a small bowl of pasta or something, or a sandwich.
    Snacks - usually none.

And I usually have about 3 coffees a day (and I just add milk...which I know adds cals)
  • sweetilemon
    Options
    In inputting today so far what I ate, I'm still well under my suggested calorie intake, and I've been eating this way for quite a long time now (1200 cals/day) but I'll give it a try for a week and hopefully see some improvement. Unfortunately I can't throw much exercise into the mix since I'm stuck in classes all day.
    It may be your not eating enough calories?
  • armyangel88
    Options
    According to todays diary I still have like 543 calories left for intake and maybe 65 carbs. not too sure of the exact numbers, but it's around there. Would you suggest trying to get my daily calorie intake? or staying below it?
  • akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    I used to be the same way! I thought I ate healthy..then I bought Eat This, Not That and really learned about reading those pesky labels on the side of the food I purchased. Yes, I was making healthy choices, but eating double or triple servings, without realizing it. I now have a food scale, and measure everything! Good luck!
  • tasharenee80
    tasharenee80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    this may sound odd, but if you don't eat enough a day, it will mess with your metabolism. it really isn't a good idea to miss any meals. try to eat at least a light lunch if you aren't hungry...

12804567.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found before I logged my cals daily and tried to hit 1200 that most days I was extremely under, 1000 or less and then some days I was way over. Now I am eating 1200 consistently and I am losing again.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    i'd say you are in starvation mode. i was eating 1200 cals a day and not losing, bumped it to 1600 and have dropped consistently since then. because you don't eat regularly your body is hanging on to what it gets. just my 2 cents. good luck! :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Breakfast (615am) - a small bowl of kellogs mini wheats - little bites - chocolate with no milk added. (thats usually about 95 cals or so)
    Lunch - none
    Dinner - usually a warm meal like a small bowl of pasta or something, or a sandwich.
    Snacks - usually none.

And I usually have about 3 coffees a day (and I just add milk...which I know adds cals)

you are not eating enough. aim to eat all of your calories + those you burn through exercise. right now, your body is probably in survival mode and storing everything you do eat.
  • armyangel88
    Options
    this may sound odd, but if you don't eat enough a day, it will mess with your metabolism. it really isn't a good idea to miss any meals. try to eat at least a light lunch if you aren't hungry...
    I think that's one big problem I have. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. What would you suggest eating in that scenario? There's a lot of days I find myself not really eating due to stress or what have you (bad habit I know)
  • sweetilemon
    Options
    Lunch - none
    Snacks - usually none.

Your metabolism needs energy to burn calories. Cereal and pasta in a day doesnt sound like 1200 cals? Try eating a healthy lunch and maybe oatcakes and a banana or something as snacks throughout the day and your body should burn more throughout the day.
  • armyangel88
    Options
    Lunch - none
    Snacks - usually none.

Your metabolism needs energy to burn calories. Cereal and pasta in a day doesnt sound like 1200 cals? Try eating a healthy lunch and maybe oatcakes and a banana or something as snacks throughout the day and your body should burn more throughout the day.
    Yeah I don't eat 1200 cals a day...like I said earlier, today I still have 563 to play with. I don't exercise much because unfortunately I'm stuck in class most of the day. So besides walking up and down stairs when changing classes or walking to the subway I don't get much exercise in.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I suggest clicking on TOOLS then BMR.

Add your info, figure out your BMR, and eat that many calories.
  • alibaba77
    alibaba77 Posts: 17
    Options
    We're all stuck doing something whether it be school, work, watching kids etc... MAKE TIME! This is something we do for ourselves (a gift) and you will love the payoff!!!!
  • armyangel88
    Options

That says 1,754 cals/day
    Wouldn't that be just increasing weight though?
  • Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, you should not be surviving on approx 700 cals a day. Everyone is different but most need in excess of 1200cals a day and will still loose weight
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options

That says 1,754 cals/day
    Wouldn't that be just increasing weight though?

you would want to eat slightly less than that to create a deficit