I'm loving MFP!

Options
I started a couple of weeks ago and I am loving MFP! While I realize that we are responsible for fueling our bodies with healthy foods and that our calorie allotments are a license to eat 1,400 (or whatever your amount is) worthy of junk, it is nice to realize that occasionally it is okay to plan to have a treat without feeling guilty. For years I have consistently deprived myself of things I wanted, not enjoying going out to eat with my family, being the one always to turn down the birthday cake, etc. only to binge on things I didn't even really like later because I just couldn't keep it up any longer which resulted in guilt - let me tell you it was a vicious circle and in the meantime I was only getting fatter. In the past two weeks I have tried to make healthy foods the majority of my calories, but I have also eaten more ice cream than I have in years! I portion it out and eat it deliberately and enjoy it without guilt! Not only do I get a great treat, but it also has kept me from wanting to binge. Every time I have dieted in the past, I would get depressed because I would think, "I can't keep this up," but this time I'm thinking I could do this for life. :smile:

Replies

• 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    I started a couple of weeks ago and I am loving MFP! While I realize that we are responsible for fueling our bodies with healthy foods and that our calorie allotments are a license to eat 1,400 (or whatever your amount is) worthy of junk, it is nice to realize that occasionally it is okay to plan to have a treat without feeling guilty. For years I have consistently deprived myself of things I wanted, not enjoying going out to eat with my family, being the one always to turn down the birthday cake, etc. only to binge on things I didn't even really like later because I just couldn't keep it up any longer which resulted in guilt - let me tell you it was a vicious circle and in the meantime I was only getting fatter. In the past two weeks I have tried to make healthy foods the majority of my calories, but I have also eaten more ice cream than I have in years! I portion it out and eat it deliberately and enjoy it without guilt! Not only do I get a great treat, but it also has kept me from wanting to binge. Every time I have dieted in the past, I would get depressed because I would think, "I can't keep this up," but this time I'm thinking I could do this for life. :smile:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You've gotten it. The whole "lifestyle change" thing, I mean. If it's not something you can do for the rest of your life, then it's just a diet and won't make lasting change. That is awesome :flowerforyou: It's amazing what happens when we really "get it".
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You've gotten it. The whole "lifestyle change" thing, I mean. If it's not something you can do for the rest of your life, then it's just a diet and won't make lasting change. That is awesome :flowerforyou: It's amazing what happens when we really "get it".

Boy you said it all. That's what it comes down to if we really want to changeand be healthy for life.
    Cowboy
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options

Boy you said it all. That's what it comes down to if we really want to changeand be healthy for life.
    Cowboy

Hey Cowboy - good to see you back. Hope everything is going better for you! - Kim
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This is a great website and I'm so thankful every day that I found it. I see so many overweight people and think to myself they should join MFP. :smile:
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good for you! This is a great website and I'm so thankful every day that I found it. I see so many overweight people and think to myself they should join MFP. :smile:

lol this is exactly how I feel. I saw a class full of grade nine's walk past me today and sadly 3/4 of them are what I would call lower end obese. What a gold mine this site is for opening your eyes to how to eat, not only what and what not to eat. PORTION S IZES!:bigsmile: