sugar vs sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    The way I understand it is refined sugar is quickly absorbed and causes the brain to crave its effects much like the craving of tobacco! the health effects are already stated. sugars from fruit are easier to metabolize as they accompany other nutrients as well like vitamin c in an orange. etc. the more basic in the food chain the easier to digest and metabolize. No addictive cravings for fructose from foods, the problem comes in with the high processing of foods. the body does not recognize it as a food, but as a toxin. I may be a bit off in the scientific aspect, but that is how I understand it.

true, this is my understanding also. If I eat an apple I do not get a buzz and a crash like I do on a doughnut (:love: )

Now that I have been diagnosed with a chocolate allergy:sad: :sad: it will be much easier to stay away from refined sugar

The sugar high as it has been called is from the receptors in the brain responding to it like nicotine or other stimulants. That is why most fast food places add sugar to the meat in the burgers etc. they want you hooked! I read a very interesting article about fast foods and sugar in them, but cannot find it to pass on. It is a nasty habit to kick, sugar seems to be in everything, but I feel so much better when not eating too much of it!
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    the question originally submitted, was an important one.

Is sugar in an orange or apple the same as a teaspoon of white refined sugar?

I never did get my answer.:grumble:

The sugar in fruit is combined with fiber so your body has to get thru the fiber before it can get to the sugar. Refined suger has been stripped and it practically digested for you before it hits your tummy, so your body is not required to work quite as hard. The sugar just goes straight to your bloodstream. Its like drinking alcohol on an empty stomach vs. a full stomach.
    I'll try to find the article where I learned that and post it here, but no promises. I think the alcohol comparisson makes alot of sense. Hope that helps.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is refined sugar is quickly absorbed and causes the brain to crave its effects much like the craving of tobacco! the health effects are already stated. sugars from fruit are easier to metabolize as they accompany other nutrients as well like vitamin c in an orange. etc. the more basic in the food chain the easier to digest and metabolize. No addictive cravings for fructose from foods, the problem comes in with the high processing of foods. the body does not recognize it as a food, but as a toxin. I may be a bit off in the scientific aspect, but that is how I understand it.

true, this is my understanding also. If I eat an apple I do not get a buzz and a crash like I do on a doughnut (:love: )

Now that I have been diagnosed with a chocolate allergy:sad: :sad: it will be much easier to stay away from refined sugar

The sugar high as it has been called is from the receptors in the brain responding to it like nicotine or other stimulants. That is why most fast food places add sugar to the meat in the burgers etc. they want you hooked! I read a very interesting article about fast foods and sugar in them, but cannot find it to pass on. It is a nasty habit to kick, sugar seems to be in everything, but I feel so much better when not eating too much of it!

:noway: that makes total sense. We owned an Italian place and my dad put sugar in the sauce and the pizza dough....now I know why:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

The sugar in fruit is combined with fiber so your body has to get thru the fiber before it can get to the sugar. Refined suger has been stripped and it practically digested for you before it hits your tummy, so your body is not required to work quite as hard. The sugar just goes straight to your bloodstream. Its like drinking alcohol on an empty stomach vs. a full stomach.
    I'll try to find the article where I learned that and post it here, but no promises. I think the alcohol comparisson makes alot of sense. Hope that helps.

thanks holly. I wonder if eating a healthy meal prior to consuming dessert slows the process at all. Curious...
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    I still want sugar :cry:
  • czewwhat
    Options

:noway: that makes total sense. We owned an Italian place and my dad put sugar in the sauce and the pizza dough....now I know why:laugh:

sugar in the pizza sauce makes it less acid tasting, and sugar in the dough makes it rise well and get nice and crispy in the baking. just to defend dear old dad! :happy: I bet it was really good pizza!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

sugar in the pizza sauce makes it less acid tasting, and sugar in the dough makes it rise well and get nice and crispy in the baking. just to defend dear old dad! :happy: I bet it was really good pizza!

Havent had a perfect pizza since 1976:brokenheart:
  • czewwhat
    Options

That is a long time to miss Perfect Pizza. :flowerforyou: What a wonderful memory for you. They say smell and taste are our longest held memories! I bet the Italian place smelled like a touch of heaven!
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

That is a long time to miss Perfect Pizza. :flowerforyou: What a wonderful memory for you. They say smell and taste are our longest held memories! I bet the Italian place smelled like a touch of heaven!

Now I want the pizza they served at this tiny pizzaria around the corner from my school in Rome:sad: Of coarse, after I had been there for 6 months, I was craving nasty greasy American pizza.. go figure.
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options

thanks holly. I wonder if eating a healthy meal prior to consuming dessert slows the process at all. Curious...

I have read that when the sugar is combined with a fat it also slows the absorbtion. I think it was in You: On a Diet. So say you have a scoop of ice cream, adding a handful of nuts make it better in more ways than one:wink: In the South Beach Diet, Dr. Agatston says that if you're going to reach for the bread basket; a drizzle of olive oil or a pat of real butter will lessen the spike in your blood sugar.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone, glad it didn't turn out the way the last one did :)))
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I work at an awesome pizza place...it's torture.

http://www.firesidepies.com/menus_food.asp