sugar vs sugar

Options
Did that thread get locked???? I can't find it :sad: :laugh:

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It was removed because some nastiness ensued.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Okay either no one knows what I'm talking about, or else no one wants to say anything because it got locked??????:ohwell:
  • sarabear
    Options
    It was removed because some nastiness ensued.

Thanks! Darn:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    the question originally submitted, was an important one.

Is sugar in an orange or apple the same as a teaspoon of white refined sugar?

I never did get my answer.:grumble:
  • sarabear
    Options
    I know I was wondering if they even decided on an answer
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    lol i know one thing, i;d rather eat the orange than the pure sugar..atleast u get good nutrients out of it... and i miss that thread :cry:
  • ibcausa
    ibcausa Posts: 6
    Options
    It's not the same. Sugar in fruit is in the form of fructose. Refined sugar is in the form of sucrose. Your body metabolizes these differently. Too much refined sugar can have long term damaging effects on your body (overweight, diabetes, etc), but sugar in the form of fructose is not bad for you unless you are a diabetic. Obviously fruit has calories but your body benefits much more from digesting food in its pure form. I'm not a scientist but that's the way I understand it :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    From a biological standpoint rate of sugar absorption is important. Complex carbs are broken down into glucose which requires time so you have a slow release of sugar. Table sugar is just plain glucose so it is readily absorbed. Things like candy bars and cake don't spike blood sugar alot because they are combined with fats nuts, etc

Hope this helps:flowerforyou:

Edited to include nutrition resource http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978374#17184

Types of sugars

Monosaccarides (glucose, fructose and galactose) Do not need to be digested. They're readily absorbed by the intestinal cells.

Disaccharides -sucrose (table sugar), maltose and lactose (milk) must be split into monosacsharides

Polysaccarrides take a long time to digest.

starch- a long chain of glucose molecules

fiber is indigestable. Types are

soluble fiber- which is fermented in the colon by bacteria which eat the fiber and give off gas and fatty acids which are used by the intestinal cells

insoluble fiber binds bile acids and water
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Powerpoint presentation carbs
    http://www.uwgb.edu/pearsond/NUT_SCI_300site/300classNotes.html
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize when I asked about sugar I'd be helping to start a board war! I'll be more careful about what I ask next time. :tongue:

I am glad someone re-asked because the thread was deleted before I could get my answer.

Thanks for the info!

(PS, LeanLioness didn't quit or get banned, did she?)
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    Wow, I didn't realize when I asked about sugar I'd be helping to start a board war! I'll be more careful about what I ask next time. :tongue:

I am glad someone re-asked because the thread was deleted before I could get my answer.

Thanks for the info!

(PS, LeanLioness didn't quit or get banned, did she?)
    woman how dare u ask about sugar!!! esp seeing as most of us are craving it 24/7 now that we've all gone for a healthier lifestyle and cant eat it 24.7 like before :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains both fructose and glucose. This table has info on fruit: http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml

Some have more sugar than others. I :love: fruit and I'm really happy to see that strawberries have comparatively low sugar content as I could easily live on them.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I ate some ice cream, just now, so there! :tongue:
  • hasiangirl
    Options
    lol i had beef jerky...random but it still has 3 sugars in it and i ate 3 servings so i ate 9 sugars right there woot lmao
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Aha...and I'm regretting that extra serving of frozen yogurt. :tongue:
  • hasiangirl
    Options

Aha...and I'm regretting that extra serving of frozen yogurt. :tongue:
    omg cappuchino choco chip frozen yogurt is sooooooo yummy
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Where's Steve? Has anyone tried asking him yet?
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    The way I understand it is refined sugar is quickly absorbed and causes the brain to crave its effects much like the craving of tobacco! the health effects are already stated. sugars from fruit are easier to metabolize as they accompany other nutrients as well like vitamin c in an orange. etc. the more basic in the food chain the easier to digest and metabolize. No addictive cravings for fructose from foods, the problem comes in with the high processing of foods. the body does not recognize it as a food, but as a toxin. I may be a bit off in the scientific aspect, but that is how I understand it.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Where's Steve? Has anyone tried asking him yet?

Ivy and Ibcausa had really good answers. I am going to read the pages they provided and get more info.

This was very informative, thank you for your intelligent responses.

I think one of my major issues is the way sugar and carbs are broken down by MY body. I am going to research today, and this was a perfect start for that.

I love MFP...and you you all!!! lol

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    The way I understand it is refined sugar is quickly absorbed and causes the brain to crave its effects much like the craving of tobacco! the health effects are already stated. sugars from fruit are easier to metabolize as they accompany other nutrients as well like vitamin c in an orange. etc. the more basic in the food chain the easier to digest and metabolize. No addictive cravings for fructose from foods, the problem comes in with the high processing of foods. the body does not recognize it as a food, but as a toxin. I may be a bit off in the scientific aspect, but that is how I understand it.

true, this is my understanding also. If I eat an apple I do not get a buzz and a crash like I do on a doughnut (:love: )

Now that I have been diagnosed with a chocolate allergy:sad: :sad: it will be much easier to stay away from refined sugar
  • salamander
    salamander Posts: 22
    Options
    I had started a post asking about the sugar in fruit as well:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/60760-question-sugar-fructose-from-fruit

I am over my sugar everday because I eat 2 - 3 pieces of fruit every day... then when you factor a few grams of sugar that is in other food (vegetables, cereal, etc.) it all adds up quick.

My sugar goal is 24 grams... I don't think I'll ever meet that goal, but does anybody know a reasonable number of grams that you can eat per day if it is only from fruit and vegetables and you exercise vigorously? I'm under the impression that going over my sugar, even though it's from fruit and vegetables, is hindering my results... if so, what kind of foods do you replace the fruits/veggies with to get your calories in? I train pretty hard, so I need to eat the calories, and I use fruit and vegetables, yogurt, eggs, nuts, etc. instead of packaged food to get my calories in...