Will you still track once you reach goal?

Options
Once you reach your goal, do you think you'll track calories? (Or if you're already at goal, are you still tracking?) Is tracking now part of your lifestyle or just a tool to get you where you want to be?

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I still track. I have to if I want to remember to keep myself accountable for portion sizes etc. You don't get to stop being deliberate about food choices...in fact they almost become more important if you want the changes you made to "Stick"
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    At goal and still tracking. It's a part of my lifestyle now. I want to know how much protein, sodium, fiber, etc. I'm getting on a daily basis and I also want to make sure I am doing the right things to stay in my target range.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im going to have to. Iv been a human yo-yo my entire life! The only way I will be able to keep it off is to track
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I think I'm kind of brainwashed to do it at this point. some foods will SHOCK you so now I always look at labels. For example, I bouht hot pockets yesterday for my boyfriends lunch 2 hot pockets 680 calories!!!
  • NancLH4
    NancLH4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I plan on tracking once I reach my goal. It will keep me accountable and help me keep from sliding back up again. I have goals with rewards right now, as I reach them. I think I'll add incentive rewards for keeping the weight off this time.
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    I will definitely keep tracking. I have 3 friends who lost weight and have kept it off for over a year because they still use MFP. The people I know who have lost weight and then ended up gaining it back-quit tracking.
  • 321Detonate
    321Detonate Posts: 131
    Options
    I've been maintaining since January and I still track my calories religiously. It's a part of my life now, I don't even think twice about it really.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I will still track when I reach goal because I have been to goal before and slowly let all my bad habits creep back in. . .they didn't just happen again overnight so I am going to keep it in check this time. Of course I've still got a long way to go before I meet goal but that is what I am going to do. :smile:
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I plan on tracking for at least 6 months after my goal to get used to my new calories allotment and not go over. I reached my goal weight once and said sayonara to tracking - worst mistake ever! I kept the weight off for about 3 months, but it started going right back up. But I felt so over confident I didn't bother tracking again, and my workouts and eating habits suffered. 2 years later I was back at my starting weight. :grumble:

So yes, I'll definitely be tracking!
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I will definitely still track once I'm in maintenance. I got fat by not paying attention to what I eat, I don't want to do it again!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Now I have to say that I usually maintain until I get preggo (again!!!) I used to use my pants and what I see in the mirror to maintant. If my pants get a bit tight, time to be more carefull. This time, I am not sure yet what methode I will do but traking is pretty much becoming a second nature.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I am at my goal weight and am still tracking. Like Saberfan said, I'm amazed at what others eat and tracking holds me accountable. Also, I think I might increase my weight loss goal but for now I'm enjoying goal weight number 1.
  • Cath138
    Cath138 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm far from reaching my goal weight, but I think I will keep track for a while (maybe a year) and after try to do it on my own...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    My problem is my eyes and stomach are bigger than my brain so I'll be tracking for the rest of my life. :smile: No way I'll ever be able to trust myself without knowing the numbers involved.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Because I feel good when I get the proper amount of macros. There's always an up button.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Once you reach your goal, do you think you'll track calories? (Or if you're already at goal, are you still tracking?) Is tracking now part of your lifestyle or just a tool to get you where you want to be?

Yes.
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I will, I was 5 lbs away from goal 6 years ago and got lazy (I lost 40 lbs that time) and I ended up gaining about half back, I'm glad I caught it before I gained it all back
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal back in January, but I'm continuing to use MFP to track my exercise and food. I think I'm more successful when I keep tabs on myself.
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    I hit my goal last year, stopped tracking, and gained back 25 pounds. I now know I can never stop...it's going to be a lifetime of tracking if I want to stay in shape and healthy.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I will. I consider it to be just one part of a healthy lifestyle.