high intensity interval training

Options
whats worked really well for me and stripping fat off my body is skipping...yes....it costs about £4 for a speed skipping rope,and its burns around 700-800 cals an hour,but your only actually skipping for 30mins

the way i perform this is 1min skipping....1 min rest......1min skipping......1 min rest and so on for 1 hour.

my bodyfat levels dropped very very fast doing this.....just thought id say,might be helpful to some

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Are we talking " Little girl in pigtails down the sidewalk skipping " ????? I would like to see a " visual " of you doing this ... just sayin' !

Not that there's anything wrong with " skipping " .... :wink:
  • fatshady360
    Options
    lol......i cant do that!!!!my hair isnt long enough!!:wink:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    whats worked really well for me and stripping fat off my body is skipping...yes....it costs about £4 for a speed skipping rope,and its burns around 700-800 cals an hour,but your only actually skipping for 30mins

the way i perform this is 1min skipping....1 min rest......1min skipping......1 min rest and so on for 1 hour.

my bodyfat levels dropped very very fast doing this.....just thought id say,might be helpful to some

I got up to skipping for 45 minutes straight, any reason to rest every minute?

I may try that with my 1.25" diameter rope though.
  • fatshady360
    Options
    hi trail......yeah,its basically flat out/balls to the wall skipping,rather than steady state.i keep my hrm on when im doing it and i get to about 160-165 in the mins i work,in the min i rest it normally drops back down to 125-130 before i go again........its said that its the best way to burn fat without burning muscle.....at a constant high intensity im burning muscle and fat,cause of the intensity,your body is pulling energy from everywhere(muscle and fat).the interval way im still burning alot of calories but preserving muscle wastage aswell cause your body is getting a chance to rest
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've had a rope for a while, but I've been so heavy it's difficult to jump! I'm hoping to try again soon but that sounds like a really good way to get cardio!
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT. Jogging in place with 2 pound ankle weights and 2-1/2 pound barbells, It's a killer workout. I also alternate days doing nothing but abs in HII. I also like Insanity. HIIT.
  • fatshady360
    Options
    hi shadow.....it is the best way ive found to strip fat,and to be honest,i prefer it to running.....cheap and you can do it in your own back yard:wink:
  • ShadowSoldier23
    Options
    hi shadow.....it is the best way ive found to strip fat,and to be honest,i prefer it to running.....cheap and you can do it in your own back yard:wink:

Yea I have been trying to do HIIT of sorts on the elliptical since it's easier on my knees/ankles (i'm still over 300lbs). But I have a rope and I plan to use it when I can! :)
  • fatshady360
    Options
    ellipticals are great too......you can lose a serious amount of weight on those:smile:
  • ShadowSoldier23
    Options
    ellipticals are great too......you can lose a serious amount of weight on those:smile:

I'm trying! I go all out as fast as I can (without increasing the intensity so it's not true HIIT but I'm trying!) for a minute, rest for 2 and back at it for another minute. I've gotten up to 15-20 minutes doing this and it's so much easier than straining my poor knees or ankles by running. People try to encourage me to run, but I KNOW how easy it is to hurt yourself at my weight doing that. Injuries are not an option.
  • fatshady360
    Options
    you know your own body......dont let anyone push you to do anything........aslong as your going as hard as you can for that minute,your gauranteed to see results:wink:
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thx for the tip...I'll have to add this. As soon as I find a decent rope.
  • nanochic
    nanochic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That sounds like an amazingly creative and smart adaptation of HIIT. I will definitely have to do this, since I own a jump rope and can do it in my house without looking like an idiot. Thank you for this tip!
  • XoSaraoX
    XoSaraoX Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Tabata on the treadmill, might be the death of me but i LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

1 hour is insane! but worth it..

have you tried going even more full out and keeping the sessions shorter?
  • fatshady360
    Options
    hi zaffer,i suppose i could push it to the extreme...my heart rate runs at 165 by the time ive finished the min of work,my max heart rate is 180.if i was pushing it to the extreme,then yes,id probably go for 20mins on......20 mins off,but the recovery time would probably have to increase to let my heart rate come back down enough to go again....one of my ropes has a jump counter on it.......and by the time ive hit 20mins when my heart rate is at 165,ive done over 3000 jumps
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've tried skipping - made about 10 minutes before thinking I was going to die, but one main thing I noticed was....I have forgotten how to skip! All those years with the pig tails and the cute songs and now, I can't remember how to do it!! My feet keep getting tangled and I miss the jumps and stuff! Any tips? Or you think it'll get better as I do more? :)
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    Definitely gonna do this, thanks shady.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Shadow,

On Youtube Sparkpeople.com channel, there is a 10 minute cardio jump rope routine which those starting out can use!!

Check it out and see if it helps.
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Ooooo thanks for this. I've been avoiding cardio as I'm trying to build muscle but I really need to shed some fat even though I'm at my goal weight. BF 25%. My daughter has a skipping rope upstairs so I'm going to give this a go later!