Will I ever be a 'runner'

Options
I get tired very quickly when I jog/run, I can't run for longer than 2minutes, I know this isn't normal :-( I walk for between 30mins and an hour most nights but just can't seem to get past this into a jog/run!

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be a jogger/runner...........

Try the Couch to 5K program, it works you up to larger running intervals. Running into Shape/Carli is a great podcast to download week by week, she is really encouraging. I didn't want to let Carli down by walking during a run interval..........
  • runwithmike
    runwithmike Posts: 173
    Options
    Yes you can. Google - Jeff Galloway. Follow his walk/run method and you will be running for distance in no time.
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am working on this now. Yes, it can happen, but don't expect it to happen overnight or don't push yourself too hard. It definitely takes time.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You will only become a runner if you have the will to do it.

Most people start out just like you. They can't run long distances, only intervals. If you want to "Become a runner", look
    into the couch to 5K program. (Google) (C25K)

10 Years ago I couldn't run a block, now I do five and six miles like it's nothing. I just recently ran my farthest distance of 10.25
    miles just because I can. It feels good to push your limits. You can do it, if you will it!

exercise.png
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a runner 7 weeks ago - but I started the c25k program and stuck to it, and yesterday (week 7 day 1 of the program) I ran for 25 minutes without stopping. :bigsmile: No way I could have done that 7weeks ago. Check it out, download an app for it if you have a smart phone or iPod (there are many apps, some free, some not) and go for it! Stick to the plan, just three run days per week, go as slow as you need to to complete each section.

You can be a runner!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yes you will be!

I have started the C25K 3 different times in the last year. I was determined I would become a runner. I injured myself all three times, but this last time when I healed up, I jumped right back into it. I ran for 40 minutes (3 1/2 miles) last night at the gym and plan on doing it again tomorrow night. Once I get 3-4 minutes into it, it just becomes "easier". I don't know how to explain it, but it just is. When my body is built up more (and I was in pretty darn good physical condition when I started, but you use a lot of different muscles when running), I am planning on running a 5K and then a 10K before the year is out.

You can do it!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be a runner. As others have already said, use a training program and you can get there.

I am dong a Couch 2 5K program. Six weeks ago, I could barely get through the 1 minute runs in week 1 of C25K. Yesterday I ran 37:46 seconds and ran a complete 5 kilometers without stopping.

Most importantly, as soon as you decide to run, you are a runner.

Here's a quote that someone shared with me when I was just in week 2 of C25K.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." John Bingham
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure ALL the runners will gladly give you ideas on how you to can become one of the elite !

J.R. ... Where art thou ? :wink:
  • HittingHerStride
    Options
    I am very insecure about my running abilities as well, my boss who is a life long runner told me we all start out that way, like most things in life no one starts out as a natural, we work at it. I try and remember that when I am feeling winded and awkward.
  • JennyWLS
    JennyWLS Posts: 7
    Options
    I started Couch 2 5K last year around this time and "ran" my first 5K in May. I say "ran" because I actually did way more walking than running because it took me more than the typical schedule to build up my endurance. I just kept at it over and over again, repeating weeks and days as many times as I had to before i could finally go the full 5K without feeling like I was going to die. In September I ran a 5K and ran the entire time. I was so proud that i could finally do it, even if it took me almost 7 months to get there. I went from a 15min mile to being able to consistently run a 9.5min mile now!

That being said, I am registered for my first 10K in May (the same race I basically walked last year) and I am READY!
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    YES YOU CAN!!!

Ditto the posters above me - just take is slow, push yourself but not too hard.

"No matter if it's 7 minutes or 12 minutes, it's still a mile. Just run it."
  • SlimStacey74
    SlimStacey74 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be a runner. As others have already said, use a training program and you can get there.

I am dong a Couch 2 5K program. Six weeks ago, I could barely get through the 1 minute runs in week 1 of C25K. Yesterday I ran 37:46 seconds and ran a complete 5 kilometers without stopping.

Most importantly, as soon as you decide to run, you are a runner.

Here's a quote that someone shared with me when I was just in week 2 of C25K.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." John Bingham

I really like that quote!

I am kinda in the same boat as you are about the running..I wonder If I can ever be a runner. I have just started the C25K program with Robert Ullrey and I plan on doing it until I can run the whole thing! No quitting this time! I have my annual Susan G. Komen 5k run on Mothers Day and I plan on doing sooo much better than I did last year. I tried running the whole time, but soo many hills I had to stop a few times to walk..this year NO WALKING!!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K starting this weekend hopefully if I feel better. So in 9 weeks I will be a runner lol.
  • em9677
    em9677 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote on this..."No matter how slow you run you are still lapping everyone on the couch".
  • raineraven78
    raineraven78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone else said - Couch to 5K is amazing!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I'm the same way, but have just been sucking it up and going for it. Every night I go out running I get just a little farther. I run until I feel like I can't possibly go any farther and then I pick a spot down the road and force myself to keep going until there... sometimes I get halfway there and push it back further. I think it's just about motivation.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I have a couple of friends on here who have started running and something is welling up inside of me to do it. I used to be on the track team in high school but was thin. I also have asthma, and broke my 5th metatarsal on my left foot almost 20 years ago and nto sure it healed right. shoes are rough for me. Can anyone suggest a good very cushioned, yet supportive and flexible running shoe as I am considering trying this thsi summer after i get more fit. please jsut emssage me on here if you would or you can email me at noahservices@aol.com
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, but have just been sucking it up and going for it. Every night I go out running I get just a little farther. I run until I feel like I can't possibly go any farther and then I pick a spot down the road and force myself to keep going until there... sometimes I get halfway there and push it back further. I think it's just about motivation.

I do this too. I think just to that car down the street and when I get there I pick a new spot and I look at my time and have one minute left then I just tell myself , "you can do one more minute and then rest" . Then when I'm done I feel great! I have noticed that I for one have more energy if I run first thing in the AM before eating or drinking anything. I feel like I don't get as out of breath. Maybe cuz I'm so fresh and nothing has taken my energy for the day. My times seems to be faster in the mornings too. I jump out of bed get dressed, throw on my Motoactv and go run. I know this might sound cheesy but chew some gum too. I notice if I don;t my mouth gets dry and I get more out of breath cuz I feel like my mouth is so dry I can't catch my breath. Try it. I am doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow of C25K.
  • edena1987
    edena1987 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ran a full 10 minutes last night. I never thought I would get to that level! Just remember that slow and steady wins the race. Don't try to push yourself too far or else you will definitely blow out a knee or something. Keep your chin up, runner! :wink:
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump for later - would love to be a runner. :drinker: