Questions about water.....

Options
Who counts coffee or tea as their water intake? I drink a lot of decaf unsweetened tea throughout the day, but not sure whether this is counted as water or is it just considered "dirty" water.

Replies

• 1rayhamilton
    Options
    I'd consider that 'water'. It's unsweetened...
  • TerriKate0308
    TerriKate0308 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been counting it as water. I just hate drinking water, so I feel I have to flavor it to get it down.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Tea is a diuretic. I would not count it as 'water intake' because of that.

But that's just me. :)
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I only tend to count water in my water bit. Mainly because it is worth 0 calories. If I have tea its usually around 15 calories so tends to go in one of my sections.

Breakfast, AM snack, Dinner, PM Snack, Tea, Snack. Usually fits in there somewhere.
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ive heard that the "make sure you drink 8 cups of water" thing is a myth.. and just that you need an adequate amout of fluid, which could be anything. i just got this off the Mayo Clinic site:

"Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total."

So, to answer your question, yes you should count your tea to your "water." :)
  • TerriKate0308
    Options
    Thank you cwhite for this comment. I know it's not the perfect water, but I can barely stand to drink water at all. If I drink it, it has to be ice cold and if it gets just barely warm, I'm gagging. Not sure why this happens. I just chalk it up as something I don't like.
  • TerriKate0308
    Options
    Hmmmm..... that is a thought. Thank you for that piece of advice. Makes me think about drinking so much of it.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I count water as water!
  • mandacloye
    mandacloye Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    TerriKate,

I like H2O but decided to add some sugar free fruit punch powder to switch things up. My dilemna is this: anything like that with artificial sweetener (aspertame mostly) causes me to be almost incontinent of urine. So although it tastes good, I seldom use it. But like I mentioned, I LIKE H2O and stick with that for almost all intake.

Amanda
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tea is fine as a fluid intake count.
  • ddelboccio
    Options
    Any liquid that is NOT caffeinated counts towards your daily water intake (even milk!). Water is water. Just be careful of calories which can still add up in beverages quickly.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about caffeine. I understand (although i am not an expert) that it acts as a diuretic. But maybe that's a good thing? I don't really know.

But i never count anything as water except water.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I drink soda, tea, ect...but I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me as well....i dont even know how much i drink in a day, i dont monitor it, as long as i always have a liter with me!!
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't care for water unless it is ice cold. I do count Iced Tea as water and also I love the MIO flavors added to water. It really helped me to get away from drinking soda!! (0 calories too!)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You should count your tea / coffee as water intake. For one, it doesn't contain enough caffeine to act as a diuretic (not until you've consumed 600 - 700mg) and if you were to eat a chocolate covered coffee bean and drink a glass of water, do you NOT count the water because it was consumed with a coffee bean?
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Any liquid that is NOT caffeinated counts towards your daily water intake (even milk!). Water is water. Just be careful of calories which can still add up in beverages quickly.

even caffeinated counts, not nearly enough caffeine in tea or coffee to cause that much water loss
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    TerriKate,

I like H2O but decided to add some sugar free fruit punch powder to switch things up. My dilemna is this: anything like that with artificial sweetener (aspertame mostly) causes me to be almost incontinent of urine. So although it tastes good, I seldom use it. But like I mentioned, I LIKE H2O and stick with that for almost all intake.

Amanda

Crystal light has a fitness line that does not have aspartame in it. :)
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I definitely count it. You get water from food, too. I'm practical and don't believe in militaristic rule-following.
  • danielnoble
    Options
    I drink 1-2 cups of waterand usually only at the gym, or after a run. the rest is other liquids. Coffee is my staple liquid. water with my whey, diet soft drinks
  • paula_on_a_mission
    Options
    MIO MIO MIO Because of it I am able to get in 130 + oz daily now --Walmart brand has some good flavors as well but be careful some have an acidic taste--the orange tangerine tastes just like Mickey Ds orange drink--yummy
    Also the Crystal Lite (and walmart brand too) have a green tea one that has EGCG which could provide a small metabolism boost