Lies about weight loss...

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.
    If x person has a TDEE of 2000 calories and they eat only 1500, or they eat 2000 and burn 500 in exercise, then they are going to lose a half pound.

my TDEE is about 2800-3100... I eat between 1600-2100... And exercise 200-600 . By that logic... I should be losing more than a pound. But I am not.

???

Because its not that simple but getting some of these geniuses around here to take into account and of the hundreds of medical conditions and anomilies that might have an effect on that theory is impossible.

Hate to crack it to you but thermodynamics is universal. The only thing that changes with a medical condition is the "calories out" side of the equation.

Honestly, I don't think the OP has a medical conition inhibiting her weight loss (at least from what she's posted sofar), just some frustration about the process as a whole.

Oh, and the "genius" that you keep callin out has lost over 120 lbs. He might know a little something about this.

Really, I have doctors that say different. I'fe lost more than that myself, doesn't make me an authority. I do have a disorder that prohibits my body from metabolizing carbohydrates, so no calories in and calories out, isn't across the board.
    Sorry hun, you're considered part of the special population. Most people don't have these conditions. Simple research would show that.

Here are the COLD HARD FACTS.

1. People are misinformed on weight loss.
    2. People want instant results.
    3. The combination of points 1 and 2, lead to point 4.
    4. Frustration and failure.

Regarding me being an authority. I know a little bit and I continue to strive DAILY to learn more. I continue to learn so people won't have to go through BS, and be lead to believe they have some "medical condition".
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    If x person has a TDEE of 2000 calories and they eat only 1500, or they eat 2000 and burn 500 in exercise, then they are going to lose a half pound.

my TDEE is about 2800-3100... I eat between 1600-2100... And exercise 200-600 . By that logic... I should be losing more than a pound. But I am not.

???

Actually as a Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) person, Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) including your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2579.77 calories per day. That means to approximately lose 1 lb per week, you would cut 500 calories per day and for a 2 lb per week loss you would drop 1000 a day. Since you are eating 2000 a day, just stick with that consistiently. Since this number already factors in your activity, you don't eat back your exercise calories.

I also recommend you track your sodium...I noticed your diary in your comment, and eyeballing what you eat, I bet you are getting too much. That would account for your water retention.

Many things attribute to not losing weight...stress increases the production of cortisol which leads to retention of body fat (especially in the belly area). Lack of sleep, female conditions, depression, certain medications etc all will inhibit your loss. I've learned a lot of this through trial and error and a lot more in my chosen profession, which is nutrition.

I do recommend talking to your doctor about this he/she may be able to make some recommendations to help. I found out that I am insulin resistant...not diabetic (I am actually hypoglycemic). I found that adding a chromium supplement helped to combat that and got things going again.
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    Question: Isn't this the motivation and support forum? I think you're a little lost.
    But seriously, I do see people losing weight rapidly.. and although it intrigues me, it doesn't (and shouldn't) bother me. I'm plateau-ing as well, but just because things aren't working for me right now doesn't mean I should be bitter about others' successes.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I hate to add fuel to the fire, but I seem to be one of those people that lose weight really easily. I'm going to increase my calories again to try to slow my weight loss down.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you ever question some peoples weight loss?

If you look at some folks exercise and food diaries... do you think-how the H*LL are they losing weight!?!?

Some of it just doesn't add up.

All the while.. I am trying really hard, and having little to no results.

Eat this .. don't eat that... do this.. don't do that...not eat carbs, don't eat dairy, dont' eat fruit...
    UGGGHHHH!!!

I am about over it.

It just isn't as simple as burn more than you eat....
    As great as that theory is...it has little to no merit with me.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

It is just that simple. Get over it.
  • DaltonsMom910
    Options
    I don't tend to read anyone's diary unless they ask me to do so. And quite honestly, if I did - I wouldn't question their weight loss. What works for some people, won't work for others. If they've hit on something that works for THEM - who am *I* to judge them?

I've had people question me about how much I eat each day and it pisses me off. Just because it may not work for YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. This is a very individual journey and I feel like people need to focus on their own goals and stop worrying about what everyone else is or isn't doing.

I've learned that for me - it IS all about calories in/calories out. My body isn't phased by sodium, sugar, or carbs. As long as I stay under my calories? I'm good. I also know that I have a pretty wide range of calories that I can consume each day and still be fine.

I COULDNT AGREE MORE! THANKS FOR READING MY MIND!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

???

Because its not that simple but getting some of these geniuses around here to take into account and of the hundreds of medical conditions and anomilies that might have an effect on that theory is impossible.

Hate to crack it to you but thermodynamics is universal. The only thing that changes with a medical condition is the "calories out" side of the equation.

Honestly, I don't think the OP has a medical conition inhibiting her weight loss (at least from what she's posted sofar), just some frustration about the process as a whole.

Oh, and the "genius" that you keep callin out has lost over 120 lbs. He might know a little something about this.

Really, I have doctors that say different. I'fe lost more than that myself, doesn't make me an authority. I do have a disorder that prohibits my body from metabolizing carbohydrates, so no calories in and calories out, isn't across the board.

You're not a majority nor are you in the norm then. To say that the rule doesn't apply is to discount the entire premise of this site and every other weight loss plan on the planet. They all operate the same way: eat less than you burn. You can't metabolize carbs = you burn less means less calories out means you have to lower your intake to compensate. Still calories in vs. calories out.

No that's not how it works, where my calories come from makes a difference.

If I eat 1200 calories and more than 100g of carbs, I gain.
    If I eat 1200 calories and less than 100g of carbs I can maintain for up to 5 days before a gain.
    If I eat 2000 calories and less than 20g of carbs I lose.
  • Rachiewoowoo
    Options
    Do you ever question some peoples weight loss?

If you look at some folks exercise and food diaries... do you think-how the H*LL are they losing weight!?!?

Some of it just doesn't add up.

All the while.. I am trying really hard, and having little to no results.

Eat this .. don't eat that... do this.. don't do that...not eat carbs, don't eat dairy, dont' eat fruit...
    UGGGHHHH!!!

I am about over it.

Internet points to you.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I hate to add fuel to the fire, but I seem to be one of those people that lose weight really easily. I'm going to increase my calories again to try to slow my weight loss down.
    Jg627, you're one of the lucky ones. I do believe in the classifications of ecto, meso, and endomorphs. Now, I don't believe someone is 100% a type, we all have mixtures. I do believe we have a higher % of one type over another.

For example, I function better on a higher protein, higher fat, and moderate carb "diet". When I was larger, carbs was my enemy due to my lack of insulin sensitivity. However as I got leaner my sensitivity improved, and I can get away with a higher carb intake. In turn more muscle mass, means a higher BMR. So, I can eat more calories and keep weight gain at bay.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I get this is a place for support. But I would prefer that the support be from a place of health and logic, and sencereity...not just plastic BS comments.

Who was this directed at? It would be nice if you clarified who these responses were for. It's a little confusing otherwise.

No specific direction... just general statement.

Oh ok. I was a little confused. Thanks.

I do wish you all the best and hope my comment doesn't come off a harsh, but it's the truth, a truth that took me months to realize.

No you were fine. I appreciate the feedback.

I am just frustrated.

At the rate I am going...it will take me 2 years to lose what I need to lose.
    That is just tooo long.!!!!!
    Too long for whom? I took me two years to drop from 315 to 185. According to weight loss scams and the biggest losers that far too long. However, here is the kicker. I did it the right way. Slow and steady.

The number 1 problem is putting a timeline on weight loss. It's doesn't work like that.

People expecting to drop weight that they accumulated over a matter of years and or decades, in a matter of months. Absurd.

I am going to play of fitness's post, and the one that talked about thyroid. It's true.... it is simple as calories in vs calories out... But the big question is "how big is your calories out?" how impaired is your metabolism?

You might be eating at 1000 calories a day and have a metabolic rate of 1000 calories a day. Yet calculators and a lot of other crap tells you you have a metabolic rate of 2,000 calories.

The body will store fat, that's what it does... When does it store fat? in times of stress. What is low calorie diets?(Stress) what is a ton of exercise?(stress).

If you find yourself in this situation, you should take a break from everything, eat at maintenance.. or build up to maintenance to rebalance your hormones. Once you have been at maintenance for a month, then you can restart with a smaller deficit 20%.
    It's not worth it man.

Great post.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    - - - -

I add my vote to this...
    but what do I know? It's not like I've shed an entire person worth of weight or anything... oh wait. Yes I have. Hm... I probably do know what I'm talking about, then.
    Eat well. Exercise. Drink water. Be patient.
  • drich1989
    drich1989 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We're only accountable for our own actions. If someone is lying they're hurting themselves, not you. Anyway its not good to directly compare yourself to others.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    I have found questioning others weight loss is not a good thing for me to do because I start comparing myself to others. This puts you on a roller coaster of doubt and frustration. I only have to be better than myself. Also, it is not ultimately about the end result, but about the journey. I want to not only lose the weight, but create a lifestyle of better health- not temporary, but for all my years given on earth. Focus on listening to your body and what you need to do to lose the weight. Don't worry about the rest- it is just small potatoes.

This.

I love this reasoning. :)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Jg627, you're one of the lucky ones. I do believe in the classifications of ecto, meso, and endomorphs. Now, I don't believe someone is 100% a type, we all have mixtures. I do believe we have a higher % of one type over another.

For example, I function better on a higher protein, higher fat, and moderate carb "diet". When I was larger, carbs was my enemy due to my lack of insulin sensitivity. However as I got leaner my sensitivity improved, and I can get away with a higher carb intake. In turn more muscle mass, means a higher BMR. So, I can eat more calories and keep weight gain at bay.
    Same here. Carbs got me. I think I am somewhere between endo and meso. I'm only 5'9", but my wrist measures 8.5" and I have tree trunks for legs, so my favorite exercise is squats.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Same here. Carbs got me. I think I am somewhere between endo and meso. I'm only 5'9", but my wrist measures 8.5" and I have tree trunks for legs, so my favorite exercise is squats.
    The same, more on the Endo side for me.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Yikes, going by several posts in this thread I guess shedding 100+ lbs of weight entitle you to make sarcastic, snide remarks directed at people who are at the start of their journey and frustrated at their progress too then? Losing a great amount of weight DOES make you a weight loss expert... when it comes to YOUR body and ONLY your body.

While I don't pay as much attention to other's progress, I have my moments of frustration at my own (relatively) slower pace of losing pounds. It's not always a steady downward decline on the Progress Chart, for some of us the rate of losing is giant zig-zags in opposite direction. My advice would be to just ignore what other people are saying and recording and try a billion different approaches to exercising and eating until something works better.
  • Cililoca
    Cililoca Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe everything in life is a matter of balance. If you can have a well balanced life, care about your body, mind and soul everything will fall into place. I have been fighting with the scale for my entire life, but now that I have a more balanced lifestyle I can start feeling everything going in the right direction. I think every person should find what works best for themselves and work from there. I don't like the gym but I take my dog for long, brisk walks that do the trick. We have to get to know ourselves and re-educate our food habits. It's not easy, some people can do that on their own, some people need professional help but I believe that's the right way otherwise after you shed all that weight after a while it's back again! You have to teach yourself how to live healthier to keep the lbs off for good. We are all different, we can't expect the same results for everyone.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't question other people's weight loss, but I do hate all the contradictory information that's out there. It makes it virtually impossible to separate fact from fiction and what was done in scientific studies with a sound methodology and what wasn't. I've been at a plateau since mid January and it does just drive me crazy, to sit there and try to figure out what I should be doing. I've been trying a lot of different things, and I just started another one today. Thing is that everyone has a different body, but then they start trying to make these one size fits all recommendations, and so many are contradictory and whoever is doing the studies is not looking deeper at what causes certain things to have certain effects (which would point to why some individuals react to different things differently). If they did that they could start building a more cohesive body of knowledge.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have read the first page of responses, and much of what I would say to you others have said already.

I would like to share a Video that could enlighten you, on the differences between diets.

http://youtu.be/eREuZEdMAVo

It is very entertaining, and it may guide you on the best approach FOR YOU.

I have to say I don't follow a Low Carb (Atkins) diet; to the contrary, it is more on the high side (55% carbs), but it works for me.
    My diet is a combination of the knowledge obtained from many sources, and I stick to it for the long run.

The video will show you a very objective way at looking for different approaches, and you will end up adapting what it states there to your situation.

What I suggest strongly you do, is this: Whatever approach to diet you decide (Atkins, Paleo, High carbs, etc), stick with it for at least 6 months. And make sure you eat healthy food for any approach, so that even if you don't lose weight, at least you are feeding your body with healthy stuff ! :bigsmile:

Good luck !
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I don't question other people's weight loss, but I do hate all the contradictory information that's out there. It makes it virtually impossible to separate fact from fiction and what was done in scientific studies with a sound methodology and what wasn't. I've been at a plateau since mid January and it does just drive me crazy, to sit there and try to figure out what I should be doing. I've been trying a lot of different things, and I just started another one today. Thing is that everyone has a different body, but then they start trying to make these one size fits all recommendations, and so many are contradictory and whoever is doing the studies is not looking deeper at what causes certain things to have certain effects (which would point to why some individuals react to different things differently). If they did that they could start building a more cohesive body of knowledge.
    Read my post about the Endo, Meso, Ecto. It's backed by science. HOWEVER, at the end of the day it's still calories in vs calories out. People take that to the extreme and they fail. As one poster stated, you need to create a balance.