crying out of frustration please HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    That what I don't get. I really watch what I eat. No sugar at my house at all never fry things only whole grains no soda or juice mostly what I eat I make I even cut out tortillas that I love to eat I don't eat rice because I don't like the brown one if I eat eggs I eat only the whites my liquids are only water and skim milk and tastes like water to me. I read labels the fats I eat at least I try come from nuts avocados or olive oil. I trim every visible fat and I buy lean cuts and lately I stick to eat beef once a week its mostly turkey and chicken. I eat tuna in water. I wish I could afford a personal trainer and how do I open my diary
    Eating red meat will probably help with anemia. I have had anemia many times since my first pregnancy. Lean red meats are a good thing. Cooking in cast iron might help too. Be perfectly honest with yourself and have a nutritionist or your doctor go over your food with you. My doctor told me before to eat less and excersize more but not always the case. I couldn't cut my calories any more just needed to find the right doc. Maybe consider switching doctors too. The best advise I got from my nutritionist was to increase protein and eat veggies until you feel like you're going to sprout broccoli from your ears lol. Never told me to cut carbs or anything else. Also.. Have your vitamin d checked. Seriously, look it up, if it's low it very much hinders weight loss along with a whole bunch of other issues. Good luck!
  • LuvFitness22
    LuvFitness22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would ask about your thyroid as well. I have a hyperthyroid but even that was not an excuse for me. The other thing I would say is check your diet. Make sure that the 1300 cal diet that you are in-taking are the right 1300 calories for you. Also, make sure it is the correct ratio of protein, carbs and fats for your body. My recommendation is cut out sugars, heavy carbs and start on a higher protein diet and keep exercising.

"If you aren't going all the way, why go at all?"
    By: Joe Namath
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    Sounds like your testosterone is high if you're getting facial hair and acne. I had, according to my doctor, "through the roof" testosterone levels. I have only gained weight and my thyroid doesn't seem to be an issue, so he ordered an ultrasound and sure enough PCOS.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh, and also have him check your vitamin D levels. I was severely deficient in that as well.
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi.

Did your doctor recommend you to a nutritionist? I think that someone with the appropriate education and experience may be able to help you. Have you done your own research as well? There must be others out there with the same issue.

I am hoping the best for you.

Brittany :)

This -- also you may have some muscle there? I do JumpstartMD and every Fri they let me do a biometric thing where I can see what is fat/what is water etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions and a couple of suggestions:

Questions:

- How tall are you?
    - Are you on any medications (not trying to get personal here, but some medications cause some of the things you are experiencing)

Suggestions:
    - either go back to your doctors and explain everything going on with you, or get a new doctor (who will listen)
    - start doing some strength/weigh training

As one previously mentioned by another member, this was a lot of weight gain in a short period (no offense!) so it could well be due to hormonal or other issues - but we are not experts, you really need to get a doctor's opinion (one that will listen!).

Hope you get some resolution - it must be really frustrating.
  • Dulxecita
    Dulxecita Posts: 35
    Options
    Forgot that I'm 5'5 and size 14 used to be 8 when I was at 158 lbs I take Pristiq for depression I've been taking it for 3a years and just a multivitamin one a day its called
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How do they check insulin resistance. I don't want to be too open. But I'm getting facial hair as well and acne which I never had.

That sounds way more hormonal. A gyno might be able to help you more than a general practitioner. I used to be the facial hair queen an it was very hard for me to loose weight. Maybe your second opinion should come from a lady doctor.
  • rafesmommy
    Options
    It really sounds like Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome to me .. ( PCOS).. I have it and it is terribly diificult to lose weight. I gained about 40 pounds in 3 months a few years back and my weight just kept going up from there. For me, being active is the key.. I did have success in the past by being very active. I am not a terrible eater either.. Hang in there, it will get better.. and definitely see another Dr..
  • Trallaurrum
    Trallaurrum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome to me .. ( PCOS).. I have it and it is terribly diificult to lose weight. I gained about 40 pounds in 3 months a few years back and my weight just kept going up from there. For me, being active is the key.. I did have success in the past by being very active. I am not a terrible eater either.. Hang in there, it will get better.. and definitely see another Dr..

^^ THIS!!!!

PCOS is a very common hormonal disorder where your body produces too much androgen (not testosterone, thank you.) Androgen makes you produce male characteristics in addition to female (lower voice, facial hair, denser thicker hair elsewhere) and PCOS is often accompanied by irregular/bad periods, acne, insulin resistance (which can cause massive weight gain), and SIGNIFICANTLY increased risk for diabetes and certain types of heart disease. Please please get a second opinion, your doctor is a bit of a numpty if he won't even check you or refer you to a gyno for something this common.
  • Dulxecita
    Options
    I guess I refused to move on. I've always seen the same doctor and the reason why I chose him was because he used to listen way more. And really help me maybe he's gotten busier. Its a good idea ill go to a female this time.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    How do they check insulin resistance. I don't want to be too open. But I'm getting facial hair as well and acne which I never had.

They check insulin resistance with a fasting blood test. You may also want to be tested for PCOS and endometriosis. If your doctor isn't willing to help seek a second opinion.

The best way to take in iron is actually be drinking nettle tea with a squeeze of lemon also through green smoothies full of spinach and kale. iron supplements are pretty much a waste of time. I have been anemic for many years and I am finally starting to feel better! Hope this helps :)
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    2 things to keep in mind: First: Rome wasn't built in a day. Two: You didn't get this way over-night; therefor, you're not going to change everything overnight & be sucessful in keeping it off safely. Also, your doctor's a man, so really, what does HE know @ these things?! (With female problems.) Don't be so hard on yourself...tomorrow's another day. You can add me if you wish.
    :flowerforyou:
  • nikki_1979
    Options
    So sorry for your troubles, but I can relate. Go to a ob/gyn and demand that they test you for insulin resistance and/or Polycyctic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Once it is diagnosed, a nutritionist and the doctor can make better decisions and there are even medications that can help the insulin resistance.

Best of wishes to you and I hope they get it figured out for you before the wedding!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Doctors are often proof that even very smart people can be stupid sometimes. I had a stomach condition that completely destroyed my life for four years (vomiting upwards of 15 times a day, at the end was going to the bathroom at the same rate, constant debilitating abdominal pain, dehydration that put me in the ER over and over again). I very nearly failed out of law school. My doctors told me over and over that I was basically fine. It's a stomach bug, you're eating the wrong foods, lose some weight. No one listened so I gave up. Finally, when it got to the point that I was essentially non-functional, my boyfriend begged me to try one more doctor, just one more time. So I went, expecting nothing, and guess what? This one LISTENED. She sent me to a gastroenterologist in her practice, and he said, "That's the problem with being young; no one believes anything could really be wrong with you. I will find out what it is, and I will help you however I can."

I almost gave up after the first round of tests came up negative, including a colonoscopy. But he said he wanted to try an upper endoscopy just in case. And he found it. Apparently a medication had relaxed the sphincter below my stomach and acid had eroded my intestines almost completely through. And he could fix it: one pill a day for 3 months. I'm cured.

My point is this: if one doctor isn't being helpful, see someone else. See as many as it takes until someone listens. I'm not saying a doctor has to fix your problem to be worth your time, but they should investigate and see where the problem is coming from. They're too expensive for you not to be getting anything out of it.

A few tips: write down a timeline of your symptoms and take a copy to put in your chart. It seems important (to me anyway) that you had this sudden episode of anemia followed by such a rapid weight gain which doesn't seem to be coming off. Write down everything you can think of to the best of your ability. I find doctors don't always listen to what I say, but they always read what's on the paper. Be totally honest about everything and ask any question you think of (even if you think it's stupid).
  • Dulxecita
    Options
    Thanks every one for your advice. I really had no problem with him before. Ill just tell him one more time that I am really worried about these issues and take him my notebook were I write symptoms and what I eat and workout. And like some one said demand to investigate further than obvious things not all people are the same and they are thaught that the body communicates with symptoms and so there has to be something going on. I can see that he can attribute weight gain to over eating or lack of exercisebut that does not explain facial hair. Or menstrual cycles. If he won't do anything ill move on to someone else like they say. Its really expensive to have a time with them at least here its $100 the lowest.