quitting smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• huskamute
    huskamute Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi, I too am on the e-cig and have been for 2 years. I have not had a chest infection in all that time, and only one cold, so the health benefits are great!!!
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    After trying about a gazillion times with patches and hypnosis and everything else I finally did the Chantix thing... screwed up my brain forever but I'm not smoking!
    I did gain about 15 pounds but started working out and took awhile but I lost it. It's much easier to exercise hard when you can breathe... best thing I've ever done for myself was to quit smoking. I feel so much better, smell better, can breathe A LOT better and my skin even improved. First thing everyone noticed was more of a spark in my eyes. I'm not tired as much either. Smoking robs you of oxygen.
    The straw idea helps immensely also. Cut one the length of a cig and puff on it if the urge is real bad. Think of every 5 minutes as a building block. Carry a couple of smooth stones to rub. ANYTHING you can do.
    I'll be smoke free 3 years in September and it doesn't bother me in the least anymore. I have no urges and no temptation to smoke ever again. PS I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Oh yea AND I have money in my pocket at the end of the week!
  • fitmemom
    fitmemom Posts: 22
    Options
    Believe me, it is the best thing I ever did for myself. I quit the first time with the patch. That worked well, but started back up when I was going through a divorce. Then I got hypnotized back in 2000. Please only try to quit if you are really ready and you are surrounded by non smokers. After all these years I remember that feeling of a "stack of bricks" on my chest when I'd lay in bed at night. To this day, I am so happy that feeling no longer exists. Good luck and keep at it. Let me know if you need a pep talk!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i gave it a go before and failed!
    i found having a cup of tea was great when i needed a *kitten* as it gave me that "ooohhhhh" relief the nicotine usually gave me!
    fell off the wagon though! I'm only 22 and am quitting not cause i want to, but cause i know i have to!

i cant eat what i want as im on a diet, cant always go out when i want as i'll be at the gym, cant wear the clothes i want as im fat, but i can have a smoke... that is the lame frame of mind that made me a failure last time! lol
  • GdeVries
    GdeVries Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I used nicotine gum. Followed the instructions and started weaning myself off. Couldn't quite stop chewing, so I bought the smallest patches and used those and chewed regular gum. I've been smoke free for more than a year now. I did gain some weight, but there were a lot of reasons for that.

I'm on the right track now, though.

good luck!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i gave it a go before and failed!
    i found having a cup of tea was great when i needed a *kitten* as it gave me that "ooohhhhh" relief the nicotine usually gave me!
    fell off the wagon though! I'm only 22 and am quitting not cause i want to, but cause i know i have to!

i cant eat what i want as im on a diet, cant always go out when i want as i'll be at the gym, cant wear the clothes i want as im fat, but i can have a smoke... that is the lame frame of mind that made me a failure last time! lol

The one thing i can do and enjoy is a really inefficient and expensive form of suicide, awesomeness. Well thats what im trying to convince myself to think anyway.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options
    tomoorow I will be 300 days off them thanks to champix, there are some side effects but nothing too bad and i think they are amazing.
  • LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Allen Carr "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - worked for me and about 90% of others apparently - no massive withdrawal symptoms, stressing or overeating - makes stopping pretty easy

Good luck all

Paul

^^^THIS